John Bernhard
John Bernhard

11:42 PM - Mar 31, 2017 #31

Still seems to be April 10th for the UK release.
Looking at options, it's less money to import from the UK, and Amazon beats Arrow's web price.

Import it is! Minus vat and plus shipping this should be under $20, looking to this release on all sorts of levels.
https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

GG Pan
GG Pan

11:54 PM - Mar 31, 2017 #32

John Bernhard wrote:Still seems to be April 10th for the UK release.
Looking at options, it's less money to import from the UK, and Amazon beats Arrow's web price.

Import it is! Minus vat and plus shipping this should be under $20, looking to this release on all sorts of levels.
Let us know which commentary you prefer. ;)

I've read a few references in this forum to bad blood between Lucas & Howarth. Is there anywhere that explains this in more detail? Ever since Spidergate I'm used to Lucas being referred to as having been on the wrong side of things, but I'm dying to know what is it w/ Howarth that has you guys on "Team Lucas" this time. That is, if there's any concise way to explain it. I don't feel like doing the same amount of digging I did to catch up on Dark Side!

John Bernhard
John Bernhard

5:34 PM - Apr 01, 2017 #33

I am ready to audition the dueling commentary tracks....it will no doubt bring forth a few observations.

Ha, Team Lucas? That's a good one. He has cheerleaders but you won't find them here

Lucas has at least proven his worth with some outstanding commentaries, and Bava is the one subject he should blabbing about.
It's his forte.

Howarth has only a few tracks to his credit and they are of questionable value.

He also is willing to talk about any subject, whether he has any insights to share or not.
( This is also something Lucas is now doing, historian for hire...ugh ).

The tracks I have heard by him so far have been devoid of much value or interest, and contain comments I found inappropriate ( paging chris alexander ).
The guy is blessed with a good speaking voice and style, but so far all he's delivered is a glorified IMDB read and some lame attempts at humor.

Lucas's tracks, when he is on point, can be very good. I do feel he's been slipping on several recent tracks I have heard, but he should be back on solid ground with CALTIKI.
As Howarth also wrote a Bava book ( cue some resentment from TL ), he may actually have an original interesting thought or two to offer....we'll know soon.

I am expecting Tim's track will wipe the floor with Troy's.....gotta get some gourmet popcorn for this one.

Jimi Bat
Jimi Bat

3:41 AM - Apr 02, 2017 #34

I read Howarth's Haunted World Of Mario Bava years ago.
I remember not agreeing with a lot of his observations and conclusions.
Was also surprised by the books title because if my memory is correct that was either the original title of the Lucas book before it was published or the title of an early Video Watchdog article on Bava.

John Bernhard
John Bernhard

2:27 PM - Apr 04, 2017 #35

Here is an update on the Arrow Blu from Historian Lucas on FB.
Just reading him gush about aspect ratio & Bava in the same sentence makes me cringe these days, but this sounds like positive news.

It doesn't appear to be mentioned on the packaging, but Arrow Video generously decided late in production to present CALTIKI on the Blu-ray disc in both its theatrical aspect ratio of 1.66:1 and, for the first time ever, in full aperture 1.33:1. There is absolutely no doubt that the film was intended to be screened only at 1.66:1 because the unmatted version is intermittently hard-matted. Of course, the 1.33:1 TV prints prevailing in circulation over the years represented a cropping of the hard-matted release print. However, all of Bava's special effects footage in the original dupe negative was filmed unmatted, so this disc makes available for the first time a far more generous view of these effects than have ever been seen publicly! Additionally, I believe the intermittent in-camera matting offers some exciting eurekas into how the film was originally shot and assembled by Bava and Freda. In addition to my audio commentary, I wrote an essay for the accompanying booklet about this astounding artifact and what it seems to reveal to us about the secrets of this two-fathered film.

Latarnia
Latarnia

6:58 PM - Apr 04, 2017 #36

Jimi Bat wrote:
I read Howarth's Haunted World Of Mario Bava years ago.
I remember not agreeing with a lot of his observations and conclusions.
Was also surprised by the books title because if my memory is correct that was either the original title of the Lucas book before it was published or the title of an early Video Watchdog article on Bava.
Yes, Lucas was supposed to use that title. Another reason he loves Howarth so much.
Mirek

Latarnia
Latarnia

7:01 PM - Apr 04, 2017 #37

John Bernhard wrote:
Here is an update on the Arrow Blu from Historian Lucas on FB.
Just reading him gush about aspect ratio & Bava in the same sentence makes me cringe these days, but this sounds like positive news.
I'm looking forward to this release, as the dupes so far have been crappy looking.
Mirek

John Bernhard
John Bernhard

9:30 PM - Apr 04, 2017 #38

Me too, I just ordered on Amazon UK....$20.02 shipped.
Even with the shipping overseas I should still get it before the US street date of the 24th.

caltikifan
caltikifan

8:10 PM - Apr 10, 2017 #39

Thanks for the tip! I switched my pre-order from amazon to amazon.co.uk, saved a few bucks, and just got an email that it shipped today.

John Bernhard
John Bernhard

4:21 PM - Apr 20, 2017 #40

Mine showed up yesterday ( thanks Amazon UK ) , and will be examined at length very soon.
Here is a nice write up on the Blu.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Caltiki-t ... 28/#Review