Amazing Colossal Man and War of the Colossal Beast

Cushing
Cushing

4:35 PM - Feb 06, 2013 #1

I was transferring these two VHS tapes to DVD this past weekend and my youngest two came into the room and started watching the flicks. First they saw the tape covers and wanted to know "why" the guy is big and "why" is the guy on the other box missing some of his face. I told them to watch the movies and see what happens. Both got through the first one ok (I had left the room to do other things), but when the colossal beast roared in the second flick, the four year old came running out pretty quick!
It's nice to see that some classics can still have an impact after many years. In fact, the little ones had a "discussion" about Teenage Frankenstein. I kid you not, Gunnar (7) told me, "Jesse and I were discussing Teenage Frankenstein. He said that teenage Frankenstein is mean, but I said that the doctor wanted him to be mean." I am a very proud father!
Cushing

Latarnia
Latarnia

11:39 PM - Feb 06, 2013 #2

When I was a little tike, AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN absolutely terrified me.

Mirek

HombreLobo44
HombreLobo44

8:39 AM - Feb 07, 2013 #3

That is a sweet story, Cushing. Indeed it is nice to know that the classics can still have some kind of impact on our youngsters. I never could get my own kids into the B&W flicks except the Stooges with my son. You have every right to be proud! By the way, has War of the Colossal Beast ever been released on DVD? 
    CEO of The Azucena Hernandez Appreciation Society of America.

Cushing
Cushing

1:22 PM - Feb 07, 2013 #4

War was issued on DVD http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a-d/ ... sgate1.htm and can still be found at various sites. I never did get that though. Interesting is that the ending on the VHS is B&W and the DVD has the color ending. The youngsters saw my Quatermass Xperiment tape and are wanting to see that one next.
Cushing

Joe Karlosi
Joe Karlosi

4:03 PM - Feb 07, 2013 #5

The roar in WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST is indeed pretty unsettling!
"Physical Media: Alive and Well, Forever!"

6:25 AM - Jul 30, 2013 #6

HombreLobo44 wrote: War of the Colossal Beast ever been released on DVD?
There is also a German DVD of this film entitled "Gigant des Grauens" (something like "Giant of Terror"):

DVDs from this company (Anolis, who also made the limited book-box of Paul Naschy's "El jorobado de la morgue/Die Stunde der grausamen Leichen") are highly
recommended because they are always restored with the utmost possible care (they are english-friendly as well, always including the original language track).

They released 2 boxes, both containing 10 collectible titles of 1950s b/w sci-fi/horror films
("War of the Colossal Beast" being number #6 of the 2nd box).

Now what's really interesting is that German distribution companies of the 1950s sometimes filmed additional scenes for films they deemed
too short or otherwise unfit for release. These longer versions with additional German footage are also included on these releases (as well as
the original versions).

Among films with additional German footage are:

A BUCKET OF BLOOD (Roger Corman, 1959) ("Das Vermächtnis des Professor Bondi")
- additional opening sequence was filmed in order to make this film appear to be a sequel to 1953's "House of Wax" (German title: "Das Kabinett des Professor Bondi")

DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL (Edgar George Ulmer, 1957) ("Die Totengruft des Dr. Jekyll")
- additional/different opening and ending was filmed

THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS (Nathan Juran, 1957) ("Die Augen des Satans")
- additional opening scenes featuring outer space shots was filmed

WAR OF THE SATELLITES (Roger Corman, 1958) ("Planet der toten Seelen")
- lots of additional footage involving a "satellite" crew not present in the original version and a subplot about crew members returning to earth was filmed
(DVD announced, albeit from a different company)
VHS
http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassun ... &vid=83924

NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST (Bernard L. Kowalski, 1958) ("Das Grauen kam um Mitternacht")
- The German distributor spliced in footage from the same director's "Attack of the Giant Leeches" (1959) in order to extend the runtime (and alter the storyline).
The brand-new DVD contains both the original US edit as well as the 1962 German theatrical version (made available from what apparently was the last surviving copy):
Last edited by Godzilla 2000.thelatarniaforums on 6:06 PM - Sep 18, 2013, edited 4 times in total.

Koukol
Koukol

6:37 PM - Sep 18, 2013 #7

Loved your story, Cush!

Cushing
Cushing

2:23 PM - Sep 19, 2013 #8

Koukol 5 wrote:
Loved your story, Cush!
Thanks Koukol. Those youngest two of mine are pretty surprising at time. The smallest is like me when I was a lad - He LOVES his monsters. He still has not made it through War of the Colossal Beast though
Cushing