Which Ed Parker's Kenpo Books?

Which Ed Parker's Kenpo Books?

January 24th, 2009, 2:21 am #1

Which Ed Parker's Kenpo Books would be good for a beginner in EPAK? Would I benifit from Ed Parker's Encyclopedia of Kenpo, or Ed Parker's Infinite Insights into Kenpo series? Which one/one's would you recommend?

January 24th, 2009, 3:06 am #2

both would be a good idea

January 24th, 2009, 7:23 am #3

Which Ed Parker's Kenpo Books would be good for a beginner in EPAK? Would I benifit from Ed Parker's Encyclopedia of Kenpo, or Ed Parker's Infinite Insights into Kenpo series? Which one/one's would you recommend?
Infinite insights. Start with book 1. They kind of follow a progression that mirrors progress in the art - simpler ideas in book 1, more complex and involved as they go.

Peace,
Scott

January 24th, 2009, 7:27 am #4

Another great book for beginners is Lee Wedlake's Kenpo Karate 101 (a general introduction) and Kenpo Karate 201 (looking at the beginner forms, including a great step-by-step method to improve forms). Neither is by Ed Parker, but both are great.

Peace,
Scott

January 24th, 2009, 2:37 pm #5

While Infinite Insights contains a lot of information, Mr. Wedlake's books have an easier flow to them, especially for someone new to the art.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

January 24th, 2009, 3:54 pm #6

I think that the book listed below serves as a good introduction into the art and is easily digestible:

Kenpo Karate: The Art of Spontaneity By Sacha Williams

http://www.amazon.com/Kenpo-Karate-Spon ... 154&sr=8-1

http://www.geocities.com/kenpo_2000/bkreview3.html

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... /books.htm

Ron Giarnella

January 24th, 2009, 6:13 pm #7

If you can find it get " Kenpo Karate - The law of the fist and empty hand "

January 24th, 2009, 7:05 pm #8

Secrets of Chinese Karate is probably the best read and contains the most useful information of ANY of Parker's books... Legendary History, Hand Formations, Stance Set, 3-Point Conditioning Drill, Universal Symbol, and 2-Man Set...

January 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm #9

I would recommend both the Infinite Insights series and the Kenpo encyclopedia

I would also recommend books by Lee Wedlakes series of books
Kenpo Karate 101-601 books and the Further Insights Book

January 26th, 2009, 10:41 pm #10

Amazon has Law of the Fist and Empty Hand in hardcover starting at something like $350, but it has paperback copies much cheaper

Law of the fist and the empty hand: A book on kenpo karate

and SOCK is available too...
Secrets of Chinese Karate