What Ed Parker thnk of MMA

What Ed Parker thnk of MMA

October 2nd, 2007, 5:07 am #1

Eye have no letter Eye Sorry. Eye am wonderng wth as progersve as Mr. Parker was how would he vew MMA f he were alve today how would t have nfluenced kenpo?

October 2nd, 2007, 1:30 pm #2

...and now I duck for the ensuing flames coming my way, LOL.

Seriously though, good question and one that has been asked a few times. Hopefully someone with experience with Mr. Parker can chime in and give some thoughts on their opinion of his possible mindset....

James Hawkins III, SI
Hawkins Kenpo Ju Jitsu
Baltimore, MD
http://www.arnis.org/certification/regi ... awkins.htm
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kenpojujitsu3
http://www.myspace.com/kenpojames
410-948-1440

October 2nd, 2007, 2:02 pm #3

Eye have no letter Eye Sorry. Eye am wonderng wth as progersve as Mr. Parker was how would he vew MMA f he were alve today how would t have nfluenced kenpo?
Think about it. Kenpo involves all ranges of fighting and has different styles mixed into the system. MMA is nothing new. Just another hyped craze that will die when something new is born. You never hear about TaeBo anymore, do you?

The MMA fad today involves a certain kind of rigorous training that we don't usually emphasize in Kenpo. It is a full time gig if you are going to compete. I have trained some MMA guys and they had trouble with me because of my Kenpo. I know there are those out there that would have no problem with me, but because Kenpo is so diverse I have had no issues with the MMA guys I have sparred.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com

October 2nd, 2007, 2:34 pm #4

I remember one day asking Mr. Parker the type of fighter he would least want to come up against in the street. He mentioned two: (1) a highly skilled street fighter and (2) a collegiate or Olympic wrestler. This combination sounds like a MMA to me. And keep in mind that around the time I asked him this, he had stated that he felt that Gene LeBell was the most dangerous man on the planet (Gene had just defeated boxer Milo Savage in a highly publicized ring match.

The art of grappling isn't going to be dying out any time soon. Origins of wrestling can be traced back 15,000 years to cave drawings in France, while the first recorded Olympic wrestling match occurred in the Olympics in 708 BC. And with that, I'm going to put an arm bar on my morning coffee mug!

Salute

October 2nd, 2007, 4:56 pm #5

isnt kenpo more of a self defense system.....

October 2nd, 2007, 5:27 pm #6

how you interpret it. Some look at it as self-offense!!!

TCB

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com

October 2nd, 2007, 6:16 pm #7

isnt kenpo more of a self defense system.....
Kenpo is far more offense than defense. Mr. Pick pointed out to me one time that the simplest way to change Kenpo from defense to offense is to eliminate the first move of any of our techniques. The reality is that this applies to most all martial arts systems, not just kenpo. How all these systems became categorized as "self defense" is anyone's guess. My guess is that this happened because of commercial and legal reasons.

Salute

October 2nd, 2007, 6:40 pm #8

Mr. Bleecker,

I couldn't agree more. In the real world if you are going to survive a serious encounter, true Kenpo must come out. In this case it is purely attacking the attack and being as aggressive as possible to end it. Mr. Pick, Mr. Hebler and Mr. Schulte all have the same views when it comes to the true essence of real street encounters. I totally agree with their philosophies. I feel that acting is more important than reacting and if you are focused on blocking, the enemy is controlling the situation. You must control it, not him. No matter what the punk does you must actively engage and drive through him. If you think defense, your offense will fail.

Just my thoughts!

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com

October 2nd, 2007, 7:12 pm #9

Think about it. Kenpo involves all ranges of fighting and has different styles mixed into the system. MMA is nothing new. Just another hyped craze that will die when something new is born. You never hear about TaeBo anymore, do you?

The MMA fad today involves a certain kind of rigorous training that we don't usually emphasize in Kenpo. It is a full time gig if you are going to compete. I have trained some MMA guys and they had trouble with me because of my Kenpo. I know there are those out there that would have no problem with me, but because Kenpo is so diverse I have had no issues with the MMA guys I have sparred.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com
I know people who have been in the martial arts for a long time have seen many "fad fighting" methods come and go, but to characterize MMA as "just another TaeBo" is way off the mark.

MMA is now the third highest-grossing sport in the United States. Anything that has 3 million + homes purchasing a $40 to $50 pay per view event on a monthly basis... that is rapidly becoming a part of the culture. It has already far exceeded boxing and pro wrestling combined.

At some point its popularity will peak and taper off, but I think it would be more correct to emphasize its cultural similarity to boxing. In years to come, fathers will be teaching their sons to keep up their guard, sprawl to defend the takedown, and how to nail an armbar from bottom guard... and will do just as incomplete and sloppy a job of it as many backyard boxing coaches did in the last few generations. This is going to change the manner in which street fighting takes place in this country.

MMA may later be supplanted by something else, but considering the tremendous difficulty - and near death of the sport - before getting sanctioned, I'd have to say it will be a long time before anything more violent comes to the fore.

Long story short, MMA isn't going anywhere.

Hate to be the contrarian, Mr Miller. I always enjoy your posts.

Salute
-- Ian Rafferty

October 2nd, 2007, 7:13 pm #10

Kenpo is far more offense than defense. Mr. Pick pointed out to me one time that the simplest way to change Kenpo from defense to offense is to eliminate the first move of any of our techniques. The reality is that this applies to most all martial arts systems, not just kenpo. How all these systems became categorized as "self defense" is anyone's guess. My guess is that this happened because of commercial and legal reasons.

Salute
Hello Mr.Bleeker

I know you paraphrased Mr.Picks statement, but I read, “ the simplest way to change Kenpo from defense to offence is to eliminate the first move from any of our techniques.” Could you elaborate on this, for myself, and the sake of any up and comers as this may be misinterpreted.

I am familiar with Mr.Picks teaching approach and push the same philosophy of attacking the attack, thus turning defense into offence, but having first been on the matt with him 20 yrs ago and as recently as June, I have never heard or seen him remove the first move (not to say you couldn’t or shouldn’t, I just spent a couple of hours with Mr.Trejo doing the same thing in a couple of the techs utilizing foot maneuvers and bobbing and weaving). Being a big fan of both and dictating to students that aggressive should be met with a higher level aggression, I personally would be interested in an interpretation of this statement by one of the true masters, as to why this would require the removal of the first move, just incase I missed something. Cheers.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
AKKF.