What does my Kenpo knife work consist of?

October 8th, 2010, 1:47 am #1

This question is tricky to explain well. To simply give my preferred methodology without explaining my philosophical perspectives would probably result in many misunderstandings. I will however try to keep it simple and build into greater detail to help make the Kenpo connections.

How many situations will I be in where using a knife to destroy another human being or beings will be a viable course of action? That said when I take a knife in hand to destroy another human being I use first of all a mind-set that is aggressive because violence of force is a necessity in life or death struggles. The best tactics and techniques will be brushed aside if they lack the motivational fortitude to see themselves through to the bitter end.

The next part of my point of view to understand my methodology is that time is never a luxury in struggles for my life. So I decline to miss destructive opportunities while the knife is in motion. This is dictated by the danger I am facing and not by some imposed skill. I do not pick what parts I am going to be destroying on the enemy but I take whatever parts the enemy has left vulnerable, the path of least resistance so to speak.

In early unarmed American Kenpo training I learned certain alphabets of motion that are totally worthless without correct body mechanics in real-time motion. So when I started to explore the knife the first question I asked myself is what is the alphabet of motion with X knife and Y knife etc. Well, if I stand in a Neutral Bow and just start cutting patterns into the air I would have an alphabet of many worthless letters unless I could find the correct body mechanics in motion with a knife. This will probably come as a huge shock but the Kenpo body mechanics I use to carry myself, the type of footwork that opens and closes ranges and takes me up or down the circle etc works great with the blade. The addition is that now I will be inflicting a greater amount of damage in ways unique to the knife.

Ideally I would like to enter from an angle of obscurity and stab and slash out of an enemys windpipe or stab at internal organs and I prefer this method to attacks like cutting the femoral artery because not being able to breathe means a faster death then bleeding out and sticking a blade through internal organs like the brain or heart creates debilitating shock, however it is human nature to fight with our limbs and so often many good arteries are offered up along with important muscles while on the way to said organs and therefore the opportunity should not be neglected to destroy these in the process. I learned that I should not assume that any one thing will get the job done so just because I stick a knife into a kidney does not mean that I withdraw but rather I prefer to maintain close contact and continue to cut, stab, slash etc.

Now for every attack I can make with a blade a counter exists and from many counterattacks made I cannot always recover. This at times leads to the error that counter attacking is better than attacking and this is simply not the case. Attacks with a knife can follow broken rhythms and patterns that leave unpredictable options for the next move, meaning that as one move ends another is loaded not unlike most of our Kenpo patterns and this does not even include that a knife cuts on the way out or feints. Counters to knife attacks exist because you dont always get the luxury of attacking first but not to impress people into thinking that waiting while being attacked for the right time to counter is a sound plan to survive.

Drawing the knife: Points of Origin

Where do you keep your knives and how does that effect your grip, timing and initial options?

I will keep my primary combat knife at hip level because clipping it to the front of my body armor seems to invite enemies to grab it during close quarter engagements. I draw with a right hand reverse grip edge out if I am being charged or pressed for time as I find this gives me more power and control at closer range. If I am moving into an enemy I prefer the extended grip for the added range. As for my initial options they depend on how and with what the enemy is attacking with but ideally involve moving to a zone of sanctuary or jamming the attack early enough to beat the action. I am however aware that I can find myself in many situations that evolve into situations where the knife becomes a viable option after the gap is already closed and I could already be in a restrained position. How to draw from hugs, holds, locks and chokes and how to quickly draw an enemies weapon from boot, thigh, hip etc. are things I continue to study.

My approach to using a combat knife (fixed blade) is to minimize the enemies options to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee by getting a hold of them by whatever painful means I can, this not only distracts them but makes sense from the context of keeping my left side forward and knife in my rear hand. Like I said what I want to do and what ends up really happening are usually different, I am not ignorant of the fact that the situation and environment dictates courses of action. What I try to avoid is dueling with a knife or moving in and out repeatedly as this seems unrealistic to me at this point in my understanding. If the knife is going to do the talking the subject matter has already reached a do or die point, a single engagement and continued aggressive drive through the enemy is what I train to achieve. It does not look good; it is not designed to impress anyone. It is aggressive, ugly and uses broken rhythm and any means available to assist in ending the life of another.

Kenpo taught me how to think and analyze fighting and the value of hard training to continually improve upon skills in a progressive crawl, walk, run manner. As I start to explore weapons this does not change. Is a knife the same as a hammer fist? No, it is not it has unique characteristics and thus a unique vocabulary and can produce unique effects both desired and undesired which needs careful study but what we learn in Kenpos unarmed curriculum. The methods of execution, footwork, control of Height, Width and Depth. Contouring in all its glory and so on create a unique Kenpo based methodology and approach to the knife that is as valid and effective as any other systematic approach to the study of a subject.

It is not that I believe Kenpo is a knife fighting system however I do believe that it is just one more branch on the Kenpo tree that a student if free to explore. The disagreement really lies in people who feel that the Kenpo system is not offering you the tools so to speak to really develop a competence with the knife. Did you know that a person who is untrained in the martial arts can grab a knife from the kitchen sink and dispatch a home invader? Yes, the knife an age old tool of humankind does not take a rocket scientist to utilize! It does however take a degree of will power to use, if you have not learned to aggressively engage an enemy, you could end up with the dinosaur effect. That is when the cave man is poking at T-Rex with a long sharp stick usually followed by being devoured.

October 8th, 2010, 1:50 am #2

Good Questions

Have you experimented at all with the strong side forward in a reverse grip?

Yes, if I have the knife in my lead hand I find it becomes a prime target and I can trick myself into forgetting about the rest of my bodies weapons, I like the way a scorpion works, limiting the evasive capabilities of its prey before the sting.

Do you do your empty-hand Kenpo strong-side forward, or have you adopted more of a orthodox boxing platform from which to engage?

I feel like I can do both fairly well but habit-wise I keep my left side forward it has to do with my M16 or M4 being a right sided shooter. Also I dont get to pick which direction an enemy may engage me and have to go from whatever position I find myself in. If I for whatever reason put up my dukes to fight in a sparring type of context I will incline to keep my left forward and hope to be misread as a boxer.

Your suggested drill is something I have done before but normally with two knives that way I still have one in my rear hand lol.

October 8th, 2010, 1:59 am #3

Go ahead and make up a list of martial arts techniques that you think will work under all situations and circumstances. No such martial arts techniques exist! I think the confusion that exists between those who understand American Kenpo and those of other martial arts who are not familiar with the logical design of Mr. Parkers later system is one of the leading causes for the ridiculous comments but certainly not all the reasons are due to a simple ignorance. I will not forget about the egos, politics and attempts to put competing instructors and associations down. Some guys just use the boards as a cheap and easy way to advertise.

We need to come to terms with a few fairly consistent realities as they pertain to American Kenpo. That system of Kenpo is a progressive and systematic approach to martial arts training. You are not going to see Delayed Sword executed one time and suddenly attain total enlightened understanding of the art nor are you going to increase your ability by leaps and bounds just from this single technique. The reality is that you will have to train this self-defense technique alongside a dozen other parts of the training plan and build on this starting point. Thus it is a progressive systematic approach and not a quick and easy solution.

In American Kenpo the training is building on itself and reinforcing past lessons while progressively teaching you more. Your continued training in these future lessons is increasing your ability. To subtract the training but consume the lesson is to subtract any gain in physical ability. Got that! You still got to train.
What does it mean to train? Is it just repetition of mimicry of motion on unresisting partners? No it is not! Training in the context of Kenpo is comprised of physical conditioning, mental conditioning, and training without a partner and with a partner, sparring, and training with and without weapons and the study of the science of it. Without understand the whys, it is easy to mistake a part of the system as being for a purpose that it is in fact not for at all.

October 8th, 2010, 2:14 am #4

Actualizing the American Kenpo System

I have reposted some of my deleted posts with some minor adjustments as I wanted to set the mood for the following question.

How do you go about Actualizing the American Kenpo System?

How do you take what your learning in the curriculum of self-defense techniques, forms, sets and concepts and principles contained within the system and make them work for you?

I have already given you my opinion in those previous posts as to what I feel the answer is. In my opinion the system is actualized in the very process of learning it. I believe that the hardest part is understanding why the process works as it requires that each of the curriculum parts actually be walked through and understood by the student from that perspective, otherwise it becomes a guessing game.

October 8th, 2010, 8:28 pm #5

This is what EPS did borrowed and attempted to make it look like it was his own...It worked for those who had not looked around or were bound by a code of sorts...

Not going to work for those who read a lot or been around the world...
One of the reasons the Tracy's and he split in early 60's...Others of course and it is all debatable...
For example, they contend he left them, not the other way around...
Same thing about James Wing Woo...He was left stone cold and alone...
He prospered also still around like the Tracy org...That is a real interesting story...

So...

Do you think we fell off the turnip truck??? Those who are not brainwashed that is...

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/i ... truck.html

LOL

October 8th, 2010, 8:52 pm #6

Gary says:
This is what EPS did borrowed and attempted to make it look like it was his own...It worked for those who had not looked around or were bound by a code of sorts...

Chad says:
What does this statement have to do with actualizing Kenpo? Are you capable of learning the definition of a straw man argument? Does it make you feel better to criticize EPS even though you did not know him or speak with him? Why does criticizing someone you don't know make you feel better?

Gary says:
One of the reasons the Tracy's and he split in early 60's...Others of course and it is all debatable...

Chad says:
Are you representing the Tracy organization? Who appointed you to disrespect EPS? Do you think bitterness represents yourself and the organization you are speaking for in a positive light?

Gary says:
For example, they contend he left them, not the other way around...Same thing about James Wing Woo...He was left stone cold and alone...He prospered also still around like the Tracy org...That is a real interesting story...

Chad says:
That is not an example. You were not there, it is gossip. So who appointed you to be the jezebel whose only object is to divide the Kenpo community? It is called poisoning the well. How are you able to do such a thing when you have never trained in American Kenpo? You have admitted to the fact you have never trained under a master instructor, a professor or head instructor. Does it make you feel like more of a man to disrespect someone who is not able to defend themselves?

Gary says:
So...Do you think we fell off the turnip truck??? Those who are not brainwashed that is...

Chad says:
No I think you ate a bag of lemons and are sour and bitter. The exact opposite of what a modern day martial artist should be. Why are you such a nasty man that continues to pick on dead people? Is that the kind of people you represent?

Have a nice day
W
http://www.kenpoguy.com/

October 8th, 2010, 9:46 pm #7

For example, they contend he left them, not the other way around...
Same thing about James Wing Woo...He was left stone cold and alone...
He prospered also still around like the Tracy org...That is a real interesting story...

So...

Do you think we fell off the turnip truck??? Those who are not brainwashed that is...

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/i ... truck.html

LOL
Gary all good martial arts barrow including all the ones you train in I mean read about.

The great thing about Mr. Parker's martial arts system is that we use Barrowed Force and so much more lol

October 8th, 2010, 10:14 pm #8

Well I do practice, daily Sami, bet you don't...

In fact off to the gym now...For part of keeping in shape that takes a lot of muscle...

The times I am here writing I also work out physcial, all part of my day...
Not a lump only sitting and typing...Pretending is sad Sami...

Regards,

Gary

October 9th, 2010, 1:54 am #9

I was not trying to hurt your feelings only to say that you consider some things like reading and dvds etc as training, according to what you said to Chad. So if that is how you train and it works for you, thats fine. I have seen people who like to read at the gym, it is not unheard of. I hope you enjoy your martial arts training, which book will you be reading for todays training?

Also you lost the bet lol

October 9th, 2010, 2:19 am #10

But really funny.

Have a nice day
W
http://www.kenpoguy.com/