...to school owners

...to school owners

November 19th, 2007, 8:40 pm #1

just a quick question. Do any of you use any type of database to keep track/records of your current...maybe even past student base such as payment history, general information, contract info, blah blah blah.

If so, what do you use..over the shelf products like !act, QB's? Access?

I'm in the process of designing my own database for martial arts schools, but just wanted to know what you all are using..because if i could buy something then that'll save me weeks for work

respectfully,
maurice gomez

November 19th, 2007, 8:49 pm #2

we use championsway for all book keeping attendance tracking belt testing you name it..it does it

November 19th, 2007, 8:53 pm #3

yeah, i heard of Championsway...i have a contact with that company and did a trial of it....but kina expensive though isn't it?

November 20th, 2007, 1:58 pm #4

Hey Maurice

I use DojoMBA

It does alot. From Attendance and Belt Test Tracking, to a POS system that is great for what I need.It also tracks prospects, inactive students and promotional activities such as tournament and seminar participation.

You might want to have a look at it.

Bill Piper
Texas Storm Kenpo
Richland Hills TX

November 20th, 2007, 5:07 pm #5

just a quick question. Do any of you use any type of database to keep track/records of your current...maybe even past student base such as payment history, general information, contract info, blah blah blah.

I'm in the process of designing my own database for martial arts schools, but just wanted to know what you all are using..because if i could buy something then that'll save me weeks for work

respectfully,
maurice gomez
Which language do you program in?

November 20th, 2007, 5:42 pm #6

well, i'm probably one of the biggest computer nerds around so sometimes i speak in programming language, lol. I could program in C++, C#, MYSQL, MSQL, PHP, blah blah blah...

but for the purpose of the database, i would probably do it in Visual Basic with an MS access front end.

November 20th, 2007, 6:17 pm #7

I've been meaning to write a program also. It would do the accounting portion (G/L, AR, AP) as well as the electronic cash-register, inventory module, purchasing and student tracking.

I usually write in Borland Delphi using my own data-base unit (a skip-list); and giving it away as freeware for our org. But I'm either so lazy, or so busy, all I've done is layout the database schema. It's all stand alone without having to have MS-access, etc.

November 20th, 2007, 9:56 pm #8

yeah, i created someting similar BUT only with integration with Quickbooks to import the General Ledger, AP & AR...i should do something all in one, huh? oh well, i'll figure something out. My other option is just to buy something, but it's hard to find something that you could buy as a stand-alone, that's pretty cost-efficient as well.

blah, if i make soemthing myself, i'll let you all know. Maybe do some beta-testing or something.

November 21st, 2007, 2:53 pm #9

yeah, i heard of Championsway...i have a contact with that company and did a trial of it....but kina expensive though isn't it?
yes it is a lot of money. it is a great program with all the bells and whistles. i realize now that i do not need all of that and just signed on with United Proffessional they have a good software product through ASF. check them out.

November 22nd, 2007, 8:07 pm #10

respectfully,
maurice gomez
I have used championsway software and it is very expensive and in my opinion not really worth the hassle of the membership. I currently use Quickbooks and it will track payment history and most the important info you'll need, and you can customize it to your specific needs. Also when tax time rolls around most accountants use or can import the information from quickbooks to do your books alot less hassle. Hope this helps