This is amazing, grappler

This is amazing, grappler

March 5th, 2011, 5:50 pm #1

He has all the moves and is only 8

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futures ... ling-champ

As they mention in Body Building, having good genes, and training is where its at...

Gary

March 6th, 2011, 7:57 pm #2

His takedowns and throws are incredible. You can tell he shows up to win.

March 7th, 2011, 5:30 pm #3

He has all the moves and is only 8

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futures ... ling-champ

As they mention in Body Building, having good genes, and training is where its at...

Gary
The kid will never be a stand up fighter.

March 8th, 2011, 6:10 pm #4

Randy Couture, Dan Henderson would not agree with you...

March 9th, 2011, 2:54 am #5

The kid will never be a stand up fighter.
While you are wasting your time throwing punches at some you opponents, he's going to be throwing planets at them. The Jap Whizzer this boy has now is already excellent.... he's going to get better and better, until the impact from the landing breaks his attackers' bones.

His sitout and sit through skills are already popping, and he has an intuitive grasp of grapevining that is just going to get better with time and development, until he ties his standup attackers in such knots, they think their shins are gonna crack under the pressure.

If that boy stays with his current task at the current intensity, he will be better at punishing his attackers on the ground than you or I have ever been while upright.

It's OK to be jealous por envoius of someone doing something better than you/I ever could... it means you are at least smart enough to recognize talent that surpasses your own.

D.

March 9th, 2011, 7:56 pm #6

certainly he has skills for his age. I was kidding around. My slant on all this groundfighting is that it is really cool stuff and effective. However it seems to me that things are way out of balance. Back in the 70s there was the PKA and even into the eighties kickboxing and sport karate was thriving somewhat. Then all the groundfighting came in. That is all fine. However my observation is that there is a great imbalance and the obsession with groundfighting has damabged upright fighting..

And then we see "Mixed Martial Arts". Along with it we see a degradation of fighters with footwork, punching, slipping skills ect... For example I go to a couple of gyms and the "kids" there really do have some great skills at groundfighting. However for the most part they have no real boxing/kickboxing/karate skills. Also worse than that they seem to all with a few exceptions think that they do.

And as far as "MMA". Well what people fail to understand is that if you are going to say you have a mixed art then you better have solid individual parts to make up the mix. My contention is that very few people do. I know people will disagree but I feel it is a lot easier to make yourself think you have groundfighting skills than upright skills.

So I do respect this young kid's ability. Also I have limited knowledge of groundfighting and certainly would be in a precarious situation if I was taken down by a good groundfighter that was in good shape. But I think that even most of top kenpo "seniors" would..

I would just like to see a bit more balance in the martial arts world today. Not because there is anything wrong with groundfighting but because karate figting is not all that popular. I just wish we could turn on the TV and see as much full contact karate or even contact point fighting as MMA. Also I wish that the kids today who practice groundfighting would take more interest in upright skills.

March 10th, 2011, 9:46 am #7

Lobsang

That is one of the best posts I've read on here from you and I completle agree. I am a stand up fighter thru and thru but I appreciate the skills of a good ground fighter and could probably do with improving that side of my game to be honest. The European Kepo Karate Camp is coming up in Ireland next month and Mr.Downey is bringing in BJJ Prof Marcelo Carvelho. Last year was Marcelo's first visit to the camp and it was his first time to be exposed to Kenpo. What happened- everyone was impressed with his grappeling skills and loved the classes and Marcelo, who had never seen good Kenpo before was blown away and signed up for Kenpo lessons when he got back to LA the following week.

Morale of the story, everyone is different and there will always be people out there who prefere ground fighting and people who prefere standup but have the cop on to recognise the merit of both and try and cross train.

Regards
Darren Mahony
EKKA- Ireland

Speaking of stand up we have Mr. Mike Pombeiro fron Master White's stable coming to my school tonight to teach a seminar so looking forward to that.

March 10th, 2011, 5:48 pm #8

certainly he has skills for his age. I was kidding around. My slant on all this groundfighting is that it is really cool stuff and effective. However it seems to me that things are way out of balance. Back in the 70s there was the PKA and even into the eighties kickboxing and sport karate was thriving somewhat. Then all the groundfighting came in. That is all fine. However my observation is that there is a great imbalance and the obsession with groundfighting has damabged upright fighting..

And then we see "Mixed Martial Arts". Along with it we see a degradation of fighters with footwork, punching, slipping skills ect... For example I go to a couple of gyms and the "kids" there really do have some great skills at groundfighting. However for the most part they have no real boxing/kickboxing/karate skills. Also worse than that they seem to all with a few exceptions think that they do.

And as far as "MMA". Well what people fail to understand is that if you are going to say you have a mixed art then you better have solid individual parts to make up the mix. My contention is that very few people do. I know people will disagree but I feel it is a lot easier to make yourself think you have groundfighting skills than upright skills.

So I do respect this young kid's ability. Also I have limited knowledge of groundfighting and certainly would be in a precarious situation if I was taken down by a good groundfighter that was in good shape. But I think that even most of top kenpo "seniors" would..

I would just like to see a bit more balance in the martial arts world today. Not because there is anything wrong with groundfighting but because karate figting is not all that popular. I just wish we could turn on the TV and see as much full contact karate or even contact point fighting as MMA. Also I wish that the kids today who practice groundfighting would take more interest in upright skills.
Since the Army has a program that is very balanced, I would say that is a good start for many...Another location is posting about Army programs from the early days of WW1, and todays new Army...Pretty much a given it has been borrowed along the way, with all the servicemen returning home for the last 80+ years...
They are doing a revision for more striking along with grappling, now...

http://www.stripes.com/news/army-revisi ... ng-1.99423
The changes in the program came about after the Army interviewed more than 900 soldiers who saw hand-to-hand combat in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to an Army news release.
Regards,
Gary