The Kenpo Crest

The Kenpo Crest

May 3rd, 2011, 9:20 am #1

The Bottom of the kenpo crest always interests me.
We all know it represents an axe used to cut off members that shame or opposes the codes of the kenpo system. The trouble is what I observe around me makes me wonder what would warrent the use of this axe.
Maybe I am asking what is the correct behaviour for us as kenpo practitioners how should we treat each other or
maybe I am asking the definition of Respect and all those other components most of us believe govern how we treat each other and extend to other Martial Artists.

A Kenpo Student
Tony Dunne

May 3rd, 2011, 3:24 pm #2

Mr. Dunne,

This is a great observation and one that has bothered me too for some time. While I don't have the answer your looking for I do have an additional observation with regards to respect. Observation is this, How do you teach a person to have more self-respect and thereby treat other with that self-same loyalty and respect? some of what I have seen is the severe degradation of teaching of respect for the arts, rank, and self as well as others in the arts. Part of what I believe to be the problem goes back to the chase, people chasing their tails trying to get something that they most likely aren't even qualified to have. I know of a fellow that will suck up big time to anyone he can if he thinks they might promote him, but when the smoke clears and they see him for who he really is there is no chance of this happening. And then he begins to try to discredit that individual through gossip and whatever means available. In reality he could just get on the mat and train like everyone (and I say that with the sincerest of intentions) else does and test for his next rank or at least get to a skill level that warrants his next rank.

All that being said, he has no self-respect! How could he? So if a person has no self respect how can they possibly truly respect others? Another problem with this is the lack of respect for the art, the founder and the history of the arts and it's part in ones life. if people would only take the time to look at what they have gained from participating in the Martial Arts whatever style, they would most likely see that the benefits are far greater then the belt or title that most are chasing after while ignoring the very core of what the arts are about.

Sorry for the ramble, great post!

Good Journey,
Todd Durgan

May 4th, 2011, 1:29 pm #3

I studied Kenpo for sixteen years. It always seemed to me that people have more respect for the belts and rank instead of for the people themselves. I never really realized this until I started studying Systema where there is no rank or techniques. I wonder has anyone else ever noticed that?

Nicki

May 7th, 2011, 9:52 am #4

The sucking up your right Mr. Durkin is part and parcel of the game,so also is the shopping around for a faster track to rank ,the bigger problem is they get it. The advangeous respect as Niki remarked on is well known and played on its the currency a lot of kenpoists survive on.
Ihave enjoyed MR Parkers kenpo for many years training, learning and teaching.His syllabus for me has been a great starting point for learning his style of kenpo and I am very grateful to him and extend that gratitude to my past associates and original instructor.
But outside the dojo his kenpo has a lot of problems, problems that originated at its beginnings and continute
unchecked simply because it is easier to play the game than to fix.Respect,honesty and the biggest victim integrity are sadly missing in our art recognizing what is right and abiding by it apparently is the biggest problem. Ithink this should be my stop just about here

A kenpo Student
Tony Dunne