The Basics

The Basics

October 25th, 2009, 4:46 am #1

In your own words please, What is the purpose(s) for learning the basics in Kenpo?

What usually happens on a mental level, when the basics are poorly understood and the Kenpoist try to move onto advanced concepts (exploring weapons)?

How much time should be spent working basics in isolation?
Should more time be spent working basics or free sparring?

Will the basics just fix themselves if a person spends most
of their time free sparring with poor basics to start with?

What is the purpose of your Kenpo training and is their some element that you do in your training that you feel most contradicts your stated purpose?

October 27th, 2009, 2:36 am #2

If your basic's suffer then it will all suffer . The 8 levels of learning " Explanation , imitation , demonstration , repetition,repetiotn,repetion....... ! My purpose for kenpo is the same as life . To be the best person i could possibly be . I take a daily inventory and disgaurd defects and focus attributes that compliment my basics . Hope this helps and godspeed to your black belt !

October 27th, 2009, 3:12 pm #3

In your own words please, What is the purpose(s) for learning the basics in Kenpo?

What usually happens on a mental level, when the basics are poorly understood and the Kenpoist try to move onto advanced concepts (exploring weapons)?

What is the purpose of your Kenpo training and is their some element that you do in your training that you feel most contradicts your stated purpose?
Mr. Ibrahim: For me the first rule of response to any predatory attack, is to base first. The basics then give us the ability to always find our source of balance and power during the recovery and thereby a response to a physical attack. The fact is that any sort of an attack (moving from the artist viewpoint and taking on the viewpoint of reality), be it using purely hands and feet, knives, sticks, rocks, chair or ultimately firearms, will cause us to revert to our gross motor movements that can begin with good fundamental Kenpo principles and concepts, to flailing wildly to protect ourselves. In either case, the basics will teach us to economize and to respond with a degree of proficiency not usually seen in those who abandon basics in lieu of pretty, performance worthy, multiple attempts to strike. Moreover, your mobility from tried and true basics will improve what you select as your defensive response. Mind you, Kenpo practice is most important and the basics of Kenpo stand for everything I have posited, but I would ask you to remember that the first rule of Kenpo is to "base first" from there all things begin. I notice a previous post of an "aha!" moment in your training. Your basics will not give you such a moment per se, but will facilitate such moments as you move through them.
My purpose for training in such a way? Well, its not a job, or a hobby, its a calling... and to that there is no contradiction.... In spirit then...

October 27th, 2009, 11:14 pm #4

The simplest way to explain the purpose of basics would be the definition of the system and all systems, they are languages of motion and like any language one must first learn the alphabet and then the structuring of words and sentences at a gradient level in order to deliver a communication that is fully understood and comprehended by the source in order to be fully duplicated by the receiver.

All scientific endeavor has foundation in basic understanding of fundamental truths and axioms, in order to be recognized as a true datum, the truth is confidence, confidence and certainty equal optimum application and result. The basics are the conversion of these fundamental truths in to acceptable and applicable self determined technique.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF

October 27th, 2009, 11:15 pm #5

The simplest way to explain the purpose of basics would be the definition of the system and all systems, they are languages of motion and like any language one must first learn the alphabet and then the structuring of words and sentences at a gradient level in order to deliver a communication that is fully understood and comprehended by the source in order to be fully duplicated by the receiver.

All scientific endeavor has foundation in basic understanding of fundamental truths and axioms, in order to be recognized as a true datum, the truth is confidence, confidence and certainty equal optimum application and result. The basics are the conversion of these fundamental truths in to acceptable and applicable self determined technique.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF

October 28th, 2009, 5:16 am #6

If your basic's suffer then it will all suffer . The 8 levels of learning " Explanation , imitation , demonstration , repetition,repetiotn,repetion....... ! My purpose for kenpo is the same as life . To be the best person i could possibly be . I take a daily inventory and disgaurd defects and focus attributes that compliment my basics . Hope this helps and godspeed to your black belt !
"If your basics suffer it will all suffer" I agree n/t

October 28th, 2009, 5:22 am #7

Mr. Ibrahim: For me the first rule of response to any predatory attack, is to base first. The basics then give us the ability to always find our source of balance and power during the recovery and thereby a response to a physical attack. The fact is that any sort of an attack (moving from the artist viewpoint and taking on the viewpoint of reality), be it using purely hands and feet, knives, sticks, rocks, chair or ultimately firearms, will cause us to revert to our gross motor movements that can begin with good fundamental Kenpo principles and concepts, to flailing wildly to protect ourselves. In either case, the basics will teach us to economize and to respond with a degree of proficiency not usually seen in those who abandon basics in lieu of pretty, performance worthy, multiple attempts to strike. Moreover, your mobility from tried and true basics will improve what you select as your defensive response. Mind you, Kenpo practice is most important and the basics of Kenpo stand for everything I have posited, but I would ask you to remember that the first rule of Kenpo is to "base first" from there all things begin. I notice a previous post of an "aha!" moment in your training. Your basics will not give you such a moment per se, but will facilitate such moments as you move through them.
My purpose for training in such a way? Well, its not a job, or a hobby, its a calling... and to that there is no contradiction.... In spirit then...
Thank You for your response Sir. I liked most the part where you explain that it is when moving through the basics that the "aha!" moments are found.

October 28th, 2009, 5:29 am #8

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF
Can you further explain the part where you state "The basics are the conversion of these fundamental truths in to acceptable and applicable self determined techniques." I kind of follow what your saying but I want to make sure

Seems like your talking about the scientific principles that govern the correct execution of basics but I could be wrong and you could be talking about something else more akin to the warrior spirit... maybe many shades of meaning was your intent?

October 28th, 2009, 4:47 pm #9

One Teacher in particular that comes to mind in movement and flow. GM Angel Cabales...His name reminds me constantly of what it is all about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabales_Serrada_Eskrima

Change the E with the L= Angle along with movement, position, you are in or at, during confrontation...

You hear it all the time now, in MMA, Angles. Get your angles right and they can support bridges...

Same with MA.

Been that way for a very long time, late in arrival with some MA, But, not all.
The empty hand grappling or dumog indigeouous to the Philippines are also as devasttating as the weapon portion of the art. Serrada is known as a "close" in martial art, and is also known for the effectivenes of its countering abilities not seen in most other systems of martial arts, including the Filipino Martial Arts.
Important statement^^^^

Regards,
Gary

October 28th, 2009, 5:00 pm #10

Thank You for your response Sir. I liked most the part where you explain that it is when moving through the basics that the "aha!" moments are found.
Thanks Sami...

http://silverandgoldandthee.net/V/Lil.html

Regards,
Gary