The Alliance is Formed!

The Alliance is Formed!

December 5th, 2007, 2:44 am #1

Hello Everyone,
We just came off of an extraordinary weekend of kenpo brotherhood, training and friendship in Wilton, New Hampshire. The host was my good friend Vinny Anfuso of the Universal Kenpo Federation, attending were Grandmaster Mike Pick, Professor Sean Kelley and many students of the UKF and American Kenpo International. I want to thank all the UKF Black Belts in attendance and am proud to call them my friends -Vinny Anfuso, Bill Kennedy,Rick English, Tom Chase, Scott Hallock, John Burkhart, Mike Care and Jean Dalbec as well as the fine students of these gentlemen. I wish to also thank the many Black Belts of AKI - Lenny Sprague, Dan D'onfro, Dale Young, Mike O'Handley Sr. & Jr., Mike Grafton, Don Wilson, Mike Hideriotis, Andrew Tache and the many others who were in attendance. I am truly humbled and inspired by Grandmaster Michael Pick, he is the real deal, and I am proud to now call him my instructor. I have not been as emotionally moved as a student since I first saw and studied with Senior Grandmaster Ed Parker, I am truly honored that he has accepted me as his student.
Professor Sean Kelley - a truly insprirational leader and good friend, has made his mark on this alliance and we thank you ....
This weekend was one of great teachings from Grandmaster Pick, good food and fellowship - it has made a big impression on my son , Andrew, of whom I am very proud...
Again, our host, Mr. Anfuso, went above and beyond to make everyone welcome and that is greatly appreciated. Lifetime bonds have been formed!
The last thing that I will say is that the most important aspect of this Alliance will be the transfer of knowledge to the next generations of kenpo practitioners and I am proud to be a humble participant and student.
Tony Cogliandro

December 5th, 2007, 4:55 am #2

but I have never heard anything specific as too why he is such a great teacher.
He is obviously gathering students, or followers, for one reason or another, and I was curious if you could tell me why you chose him, and what about his accepting you as a student was so emotionally moving?
I have already contacted his organization through his website, and requested information on any seminars in my area of San Diego, and got a reply from one of his people, and look forward to getting a chance to see what he does in person, but I was hoping that until that point I can hear more about what makes him such a great teacher.
thanks in advance for any responses from anyone associated with Mr. Pick

December 5th, 2007, 11:51 am #3

Hello David,
Grandmaster Pick's teachings, to me, and I have only just started with him, bring out the essence of kenpo. His four rings principle, attack philosphy and 12 points position is superb. He is a spiritial man, to the point, and touches upon all aspects of what kenpo can do for you as an art and as an avenue to become and stay a good person in life. He does this with feeling, energy and a level of inspiring intellect that touched me and all my students. My Black Belts have all thanked me for having our association involved with him. Mr. Pick teaches without ego and without negative comments; the atmosphere is one of comfort, with a touch of intensity. He works with all in the class to ensure everyone's understanding and his Black Belts are of the highest integrity. I can see why the man was Grandmaster Parker's bodyguard. I am humbled to be accepted as a student because he just does not accept anyone and after 34 solid years in the kenpo arts, I have pretty much seen it all. This is also a message to everyone, especially my own students, that we never stop learning; if we seek the true meaning of the arts and our inner selves we always need an instructor - but finding one that suits our needs is difficult... Tony c

December 5th, 2007, 6:17 pm #4

He is obviously gathering students, or followers, for one reason or another, and I was curious if you could tell me why you chose him, and what about his accepting you as a student was so emotionally moving?
I have already contacted his organization through his website, and requested information on any seminars in my area of San Diego, and got a reply from one of his people, and look forward to getting a chance to see what he does in person, but I was hoping that until that point I can hear more about what makes him such a great teacher.
Mr.Arnold
To describe why or what makes someone feel the way they do toward a person like GM Michael Robert Pick is not easy but only understood once your in his company.
There are many values of life he brings to the table and as Martial Artist we seek that from someone from time to time as it is part of the Martial code we are all in search of at a certian time.
Tony Cogliandro and myself spent a great deal of time this past weekend and discussed as carriers of Ed Parker's torch what we were both in search of and I shared with him things that were private as we found out we both had similiar stories and needs in our path.
It was my idea to come with me and be introduced to GM Michael Robert Pick and first hand witness the character this man brings to an arena of all ages,genders and levels of skill but more so what Spirit he gives to those who are in his presents.
We all choose are own destiny,path or course in life and we are not forced as men and women to do anything other than find peace and harmony as we become older and want to live a good life.
My suggestion is never to listen from others as to what they say is truth or false but to examine on your own the reputation that a man like Mr.Pick is known for by going on your own and see what we are speaking of ....first hand!
Life is to short to explore what we all wish we could of-should of- but not done!!!!
TCB....Friend in Kenpo
Sean Kelley

December 5th, 2007, 6:23 pm #5

Mr. Pick's teachings are like no other. Mr. Cogliandro described it perfectly in his response. I wanted to give you my synopsis as well to hopefully cure some of your curiosity.

First of all, let me say that you should try to make it to the Florida Camp this year as Mr. Pick is one of the featured instructors. This is your opportunity to see first hand what everyone is raving about. Aside from Mr. Pick there are many other great instructors to learn from that weekend. I cannot recall where you are located, but if you can make this camp it will blow you away.

I have always been one to experience things myself and not always take people's word for it. Many rant and rave about so many things in Kenpo without first hand experience, which carries no value.

Let me tell you my experience. When I was going through the ranks two names came up more than any other: Larry Tatum and Michael Robert Pick. At one point on my journey Larry Tatum mentored me for almost seven years as I was on my own. This was before I hooked up with my direct instructor, Sean Kelley.

When I had heard of Mr. Pick I had heard that he was the baddest ass in Kenpo. Over the years many credible Parker black belts have told me that Mr. Pick is without a doubt the one person in the world of Kenpo you don't want to mess with--period.

I never would have thought that one day I would get to meet him and be able to call myself a friend of his. Since he is my instructors teacher I have had the luxury and the honor to train with him numerous times and many more in the future. Everytime I am on the mat with him I learn something new about Kenpo and about myself. I feel the same way about Sean Kelley, Rainer Schulte and Dave Hebler. All of these men are my teachers, Mr. Kelley as my direct instructor.

Mr. Pick's combative methods are spectacular. His ways of moving the mass, engaging the mass and distributing the mass are overwhelming. His attacks to the spinal ring will leave any enemy helpless. His humility and personal character are superb. In fact, it made one of my students day when Mr. Pick had remembered his name.

Before I met Mr. Pick I recall receiving a phone call at my studio one day. When I answered I heard,"Michael Miller?"

"Yes," I replied.

"This is Michael Pick."

I was shocked, but somehow I could muster, "Mr. Pick, how are you, sir?"

"I just want you to know that I have your back. You keep doing what you are doing."

That conversation, which ended up lasting 45 minutes was a turning point on my journey. He asked me about my family. He wanted to know if I was married and if I had any kids. He then talked about how proud he was of his family. We talked family things for at least 30 minutes and he never once mentioned anything about his accomplishments.

Three months later I met him in person and the rest is history. I have spent some unforgettable moments with him that I will cherish forever. I hope you get the opportunity to experience what I have someday.

Take Care,

Michael Miller
CKF Public Relations Administrator
www.chinesekaratefederation.com
www.millersdojo.com

December 5th, 2007, 6:45 pm #6

Hello Everyone,
We just came off of an extraordinary weekend of kenpo brotherhood, training and friendship in Wilton, New Hampshire. The host was my good friend Vinny Anfuso of the Universal Kenpo Federation, attending were Grandmaster Mike Pick, Professor Sean Kelley and many students of the UKF and American Kenpo International. I want to thank all the UKF Black Belts in attendance and am proud to call them my friends -Vinny Anfuso, Bill Kennedy,Rick English, Tom Chase, Scott Hallock, John Burkhart, Mike Care and Jean Dalbec as well as the fine students of these gentlemen. I wish to also thank the many Black Belts of AKI - Lenny Sprague, Dan D'onfro, Dale Young, Mike O'Handley Sr. & Jr., Mike Grafton, Don Wilson, Mike Hideriotis, Andrew Tache and the many others who were in attendance. I am truly humbled and inspired by Grandmaster Michael Pick, he is the real deal, and I am proud to now call him my instructor. I have not been as emotionally moved as a student since I first saw and studied with Senior Grandmaster Ed Parker, I am truly honored that he has accepted me as his student.
Professor Sean Kelley - a truly insprirational leader and good friend, has made his mark on this alliance and we thank you ....
This weekend was one of great teachings from Grandmaster Pick, good food and fellowship - it has made a big impression on my son , Andrew, of whom I am very proud...
Again, our host, Mr. Anfuso, went above and beyond to make everyone welcome and that is greatly appreciated. Lifetime bonds have been formed!
The last thing that I will say is that the most important aspect of this Alliance will be the transfer of knowledge to the next generations of kenpo practitioners and I am proud to be a humble participant and student.
Tony Cogliandro
I can't think of many words to describe the feeling of being in attendance at the recent UKF seminar in Wilton New Hampshire.
Awe Struck, at being in the presence of Grandmaster Mike Pick. Nothing that I have ever read, heard or seen could have described the experience, only those who have stood in front of the man in line at the training hall will know what I mean. It was clear that we were all in the presence of a special man within seconds of bowing in.

Honored, at being in the same training line as Master Tony Cogliandro, Professor Sean Kelley, Vinny Anfuso, the UKF students and the AKI members in attendance.

Inspired, by the comradery shown to us by the UKF, Sean Kelley and the Anfuso family.

My students and I will show our support of the Alliance by attending UKF seminars at the RTC, Wilton, New Hampshire. I would personally like to thank Mr. Anfuso for being an incredible host. I can't think of anything the man didn't do to support those in attendance.

Dan D'Onfro
AKI, East Coast Director.

December 6th, 2007, 2:35 am #7

Hello Everyone,
Tony Cogliandro
Hope it works.
Last edited by BGile on December 6th, 2007, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 6th, 2007, 4:37 pm #8

Hello Everyone,
Tony Cogliandro
...picturing Mr. Pick in an Emperor Palpatine cloak, Mr. Cogliandro breathing through a Darth Vader apparatus, and Mr. Kelley squeezed into a set of Boba Fett flying tights? shuddering like Bart Simpson rubbing aunt Selmas feet at that last image

Sorry, guys...I just had to. That was about as pure a setup as a pitch in T-ball. A bit like an opportunity to take Salma Hayek for a test drive, even if you're married...if the opportunity presents, you gotta take it.

Seriously, though...congratulations on a step towards finding what you're looking for; may it bring you all you hope it will.

Regards,

D.

December 6th, 2007, 5:34 pm #9

Salma......

Droooool!

CT

but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dennis Miller

December 6th, 2007, 5:44 pm #10

Riiiiiiiiight,

Like anyone can think of Selma Hayek with the image of the Boba Fett flying tights picture swimmin around in their heads.

Way to screw up a fantasy there, Dave.

I so owe you a cup check for that.

Back to the mats,

Angela