tatum visit-thank you all

tatum visit-thank you all

October 14th, 2007, 2:57 pm #1

I want to thank everyone who supported master tatums' visit to philadelphia this past weekend. I also want to thank everyone who helped to prepare for the event to make it possible. you all know who you are, my students and friends, i thank you all. you are very special to me, my kenpo family. I also want to say that we had an incredible friday night brown and black belt class with kenpoists from all over. what a weekend. thank you all.
-David

October 14th, 2007, 5:42 pm #2

care to share anything?

did master tatum 'kill' anyone?

how was testing?

any nuggets would be greatly appreciated.

just a voice...

October 14th, 2007, 6:37 pm #3

I want to thank everyone who supported master tatums' visit to philadelphia this past weekend. I also want to thank everyone who helped to prepare for the event to make it possible. you all know who you are, my students and friends, i thank you all. you are very special to me, my kenpo family. I also want to say that we had an incredible friday night brown and black belt class with kenpoists from all over. what a weekend. thank you all.
-David
Hello Dave
Tried to call you Saturday but I must have the wrong number,could you call me on my cell (561) 373-5617???
TCB..Sean Kelley

October 14th, 2007, 11:42 pm #4

-David
It was an awesome weekend. Mr.Tatum is truly amazing and congrats to David Pantano on testing for his 5th, you are a great kenpoist my friend. Thank you Sir for your hospitality we had a great time and it was a pleasure watching your test, BTW, Carrie did a great job as well, boy does she hit hard. Scott Southwell, Canada

October 15th, 2007, 3:01 am #5

-David
It sounds like a fantastic time. As Clyde would say...what did everyone learn?

Congrats on your 5th!!!

Mike

October 15th, 2007, 12:33 pm #6

-David
David,

Congratulations on your promotion. I appreciate the invite to attend. It was a pleasure to see your improvement and work paying dividends. You've come a long way since we first met.

Carrie, you looked terrific. Excellent power and delivery. Your positional strength and confidence was impressive.

Blessings,
David Todd

October 15th, 2007, 12:34 pm #7

care to share anything?

did master tatum 'kill' anyone?

how was testing?

any nuggets would be greatly appreciated.

just a voice...
I’m writing from a third person perspective, so hopefully someone else will chime in. Mr. Tatum taught the technique Falcons of Force. He taught angles of execution, delivery and retreat for the technique. He related the light, dark and shade concept in terms of attacker’s position and how the movement along the triangular pattern within the technique helps to “shed more light” on the attackers, their position and possible movements. A slight stance change to a forward bow on the initial strike seemed to help some with the left attacker pulling to assist his friend. Once the participants began to adjust the depth of their foot maneuvers and move along the pattern, timing, execution and depth seemed to adjust nicely. In relation to that, the movement along that universal shape helped to aide in the fade and sweep execution at the technique’s end. People falling and fumbling with the sweep also seemed to execute better with the low spinning back kick concept as compared with a buckle sweep.
Just some food for thought

October 15th, 2007, 1:55 pm #8

appreciate you taking time, sir.

I have problems with that spin sweep at the end too. Sounds like he really broke that one down a lot!

Can't wait to hear from others. Still wondering if anyone 'dummied' for master tatum and just how hard he really does hit.

Did he film any TOWs while there?

just a voice...

October 15th, 2007, 3:02 pm #9

Well,

Since 1994 I've dummied for him many times. I have been hit many times by many people and never have I felt such a transfer of power. I don't mean the thud, it is a space encompassing hit. Meaning that when he hits you, you feel the entirty of the hit, mind, body, spirit. Most people work to hit you, with him it just happens as an extention of his being. It's never without proper execution. I've never seen him just lay a hand out there, he constantly teaches his body to refine the hit and power principles each time he moves his body. He has gotten faster, stronger and smoother since my first encounter with him.

There are two versions of the hit: the well rested and the jet lag. The well rested hurts like hell, but there is not malice of any kind behind it. You know if he was irritated, it would triple in force. The jet lag version hurts like hell, but hurts for days. A long standing reminder of the encounter. Both are an experience. Speed, well I've tried to count many times, but it is faster in person. He really is no vodoo salesman, that is for sure.

Hopefully that sheds some light on it for you, but you have to experience first hand.

I'm 6'3" and about 228lbs, he has knocked me out with just a touch and brought me to my knees as well. I don't bow to any man, but sometimes you just have to give a slight nod.

Shalom,
David Todd

October 15th, 2007, 3:33 pm #10

David,

Congratulations on your promotion. I appreciate the invite to attend. It was a pleasure to see your improvement and work paying dividends. You've come a long way since we first met.

Carrie, you looked terrific. Excellent power and delivery. Your positional strength and confidence was impressive.

Blessings,
David Todd
It was a true honor for you to attend the event and belt test. carrie and I were very honored to have you and mike lambert travel out for us. I am glad we did not let you down. I want to thank you for being hard on me in the beginning. I will be working harder than ever to raise my level of knowledge and skill in this great art. By no means am I in a comfort zone, more responsibility is what I now have and I welcome it.
I also want to thank bill martino,ron capone and master drumm for attending.
-david