December 9th, 2010, 2:58 pm #21

"Sparring and techniques, in my view, are totally different animals."

....They are different because they are designed to be used in different zones,(ranges).....

When I say I go into freestyle mode, I don't mean point sparring....

You can use parts of techniques, special natural weapons and whatever you have in your arsenal to keep those that you wish, either at range or in close for a predetermined Technique.

The problem then becomes the zones or ranges after freestlye and technique are viable or the grappling zone....

You find ways to transition from one to the other and connect them, to allow you to move in and out of range, otherwise you are going to be fighting the Boxers fight or the grapplers fight and not your own.

Sparring lets you try out strategies, I agree.....but what happens over time?

Do you really get better, fighting the same people over and over every class,or every weekend on the tournament circuit?

Or are you so familiar with fighting them over and over, that you pick up their tells, their rythm and harmonize with them, know what they are going to do ahead of time?

What happens if you take a couple of weeks off? Are you really that bad or is your timming off until you get back in the groove? What happens when you change up your timming?

I can get confidence sparring, I can get it hitting a heavy bag, I can get it doing a technique line.....

What happens when you face someone you have not faced before? Are you more Cautious or more reckless? What happens when you introduce weapons into the equation? What happens when you are fighting for your life and you have not done that before.....What makes you believe you will be successful?

The greatest fighters EVER have lost...the greatest grapplers, greatest weapons experts and so on.....

One aspect of Martial arts are not going to make you victorious......all areas have to be covered.....then fitted for your circumstances!!!!

I don't want to be knowlegeable of confidence when I fight, I want to have known what it is and how to control my fear!!!

Rich
Strike Set 1 has good stuff, hand combinations that can be synched up with up-clock and down-clock foot maneuver that take advantage of the area of the angle.

Coordination set 1, (thank you Pat Salantri) is the quintessential blitz pattern that can be synched to stance set and the foot work od Finger set2.

Flapping elbow for point of origin defense (strike set 2 also).

I too believe in the ranges (out of/within/ConPen/ConManip) and how each ideal phase concept has specific position recognition points during sparring. If you can read the opponent's mind great, but I try to understand what each of my opponent/s posture, stance and hand positioning has given them to use and taken away. Distance, timing and intent.

But then Richard said it already. I like the machine gun sentences in his posts. Makes you think and respond to each one individually. Must be fun trying to hit him. By the way, isn't the point of training in a martial art NOT to get hit?

Sometimes I think I am watching Ron Ely switch from style to style in the movie Doc Savage with some of the talk here. Check it out, the posturing is hilarious.

Clark

December 9th, 2010, 8:48 pm #22

In BKF there was this click. The click was a small group of BKF Champions. Joe Swift like so many wanted to be in this click. Alvin was a charter member and totally respected leader inside this click. Joe Swift being in the same division just could not beat Alvin in the tournaments. Well BKF politics of course came and got Joe and others and Joe disappeared for like five years. During that time Alvin was shot. One day Joe just appeared at my school and said he had some few students and asked if he could teach them on Saturdays. I hardly remembered him. But when I saw him teaching I was taken back. The man knew so everything about Point Fighting. His classes became a meeting place for top fighters from all around. And note this. Bob White's best fighters came to Joe's Saturday class for instructions. In fact several of Bob White's guys either came to train at BKF-109 school in Watts, or had BKF fighters practicing at Mr. White's school.
When Joe came back he had little interest in tournament fighting, yet he manitained friendships with those in the click, including Ray Wizard, Berry Gordon, Leo Creer and others. He only fought one or two major events, one of them was in Las Vegas against Berry Gordon. Berry Gordon's Father for the first time traveled all the way to Las Vegas to see his son fight. Berry was at that time one of the best if not the best point fighter, calling himself ""The Man, The Myth, And the Legend"" He had these words on the back of his Gi, so you see how he was... Anyway he and Joe traveled together to Las Vegas, and on the trip Berry told Joe if they meet in the finals, that Joe should let him win because his Father would be there. And of course they would split the money. Joe said "No problem Buddy" BKF guys often did this as they usually beat everyone and had to face each other in the finals at mostly every tournament. But, come the Grand Champion Match, Joe went all out and bet Berry like a baby five to zero. Berry was really caught off guard and it showed in the ring. Joe got revenge for some political deed from the past. I know the story well because Joe had to ride back to L.A. in my car, cause Berry refused to let him ride with anyone in the click. Sorry for the long post, but a great story.

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
www.africansportkarate.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com
Hey Amen, thanks for bringing his name up here. I was lucky to work out with and train against Joe for a short time in 1990. His ability and skill was by far superior to any I had seen back then. I learned so much fighting with him and from watching him. I patterned what I wanted to do in the ring on his ability to control the distance (gap) and his attack posture of leaving his lead hand out extended. Awesome guy. Humble, soft spoken, confident and skilled.

Joe gave me a compliment in 1990 after a team match I fought. Besides that being the day my son was born, that was the icing on the cake.

Clark

December 10th, 2010, 4:59 am #23

Yes he was awesome by every standard. I was so lucky to have him teaching at my school for almost three years before he left the Martial Arts. He came to me and said, he was done. Seems his wife wasn't supportive. When he left he never came back, not even for a visit. What a G*d Dam shame.

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com

December 10th, 2010, 5:05 am #24

Amen said that I was tempted to say "Tell that to Mike Tyson". I think Amen may suffer fron the tear other down syndrome to build himself up. There is a lot of talk going on with no video. I mean if he won't put up a martial arts video can't he at least show us him shooting a lion or an antelope or something, anything..
people like you are a great part of the reason many top Martial Artists(Not me)fear commenting on Kenponet. Not only is your comment not useful to the subject. Your attack on me is old and without merit, because I have posted by video on Kenponet and youtube over two years ago when this issue was used to discredit me. Surely you could do us all a favor and keep your personal feelings about someone you do not know off the posts. Show some intelligence man!! Talk on point.

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com

December 10th, 2010, 5:21 pm #25

Strike Set 1 has good stuff, hand combinations that can be synched up with up-clock and down-clock foot maneuver that take advantage of the area of the angle.

Coordination set 1, (thank you Pat Salantri) is the quintessential blitz pattern that can be synched to stance set and the foot work od Finger set2.

Flapping elbow for point of origin defense (strike set 2 also).

I too believe in the ranges (out of/within/ConPen/ConManip) and how each ideal phase concept has specific position recognition points during sparring. If you can read the opponent's mind great, but I try to understand what each of my opponent/s posture, stance and hand positioning has given them to use and taken away. Distance, timing and intent.

But then Richard said it already. I like the machine gun sentences in his posts. Makes you think and respond to each one individually. Must be fun trying to hit him. By the way, isn't the point of training in a martial art NOT to get hit?

Sometimes I think I am watching Ron Ely switch from style to style in the movie Doc Savage with some of the talk here. Check it out, the posturing is hilarious.

Clark
This video shows what some do to prepare...

http://www.ufc.com/media/countdown-124-kos-gsp

I'll be watching it, keeping tuned up, is best...

Good book to read BISS (brother iron sister steel) by Dave Draper, about "Mind Body Spirit", and never stopping the routine...

http://worldsstrongestlibrarian.com/242 ... ter-steel/

Gary

December 10th, 2010, 5:33 pm #26

In BKF there was this click. The click was a small group of BKF Champions. Joe Swift like so many wanted to be in this click. Alvin was a charter member and totally respected leader inside this click. Joe Swift being in the same division just could not beat Alvin in the tournaments. Well BKF politics of course came and got Joe and others and Joe disappeared for like five years. During that time Alvin was shot. One day Joe just appeared at my school and said he had some few students and asked if he could teach them on Saturdays. I hardly remembered him. But when I saw him teaching I was taken back. The man knew so everything about Point Fighting. His classes became a meeting place for top fighters from all around. And note this. Bob White's best fighters came to Joe's Saturday class for instructions. In fact several of Bob White's guys either came to train at BKF-109 school in Watts, or had BKF fighters practicing at Mr. White's school.
When Joe came back he had little interest in tournament fighting, yet he manitained friendships with those in the click, including Ray Wizard, Berry Gordon, Leo Creer and others. He only fought one or two major events, one of them was in Las Vegas against Berry Gordon. Berry Gordon's Father for the first time traveled all the way to Las Vegas to see his son fight. Berry was at that time one of the best if not the best point fighter, calling himself ""The Man, The Myth, And the Legend"" He had these words on the back of his Gi, so you see how he was... Anyway he and Joe traveled together to Las Vegas, and on the trip Berry told Joe if they meet in the finals, that Joe should let him win because his Father would be there. And of course they would split the money. Joe said "No problem Buddy" BKF guys often did this as they usually beat everyone and had to face each other in the finals at mostly every tournament. But, come the Grand Champion Match, Joe went all out and bet Berry like a baby five to zero. Berry was really caught off guard and it showed in the ring. Joe got revenge for some political deed from the past. I know the story well because Joe had to ride back to L.A. in my car, cause Berry refused to let him ride with anyone in the click. Sorry for the long post, but a great story.

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com
I knew him well. I worked out with him every Saturday for about 2-1/2 years. One of the nicest, and strongest, fighters I ever knew.

Respectfully,
The Chosen One

December 11th, 2010, 12:53 am #27

people like you are a great part of the reason many top Martial Artists(Not me)fear commenting on Kenponet. Not only is your comment not useful to the subject. Your attack on me is old and without merit, because I have posted by video on Kenponet and youtube over two years ago when this issue was used to discredit me. Surely you could do us all a favor and keep your personal feelings about someone you do not know off the posts. Show some intelligence man!! Talk on point.

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com
I like you but you are a liar. You have never posted video that showed you doing any substantial movement. I never tear apart anyones karate as policy but please stop it with the bold face lying as I have been here for years and know exactly what you have and have not posted. YOu spend virtually all of your time here tearing down others and building yourself up and this is fact.

I appreciate your work in Africa but cut the lies man.

December 11th, 2010, 12:41 pm #28

"cause Parker Kenpo doesn't have Ground Fighting, and you can't talk seriously about Full contact without it."

Huh? The Parker Kenpo I learned and know does. Look deeper. And, yes you can talk full contact without ground. It's called boxing and kickboxing.
But Gracie proved it, in order to be a consistent winner in full contact, you have to be able to GF.

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com

December 11th, 2010, 12:48 pm #29

I like you but you are a liar. You have never posted video that showed you doing any substantial movement. I never tear apart anyones karate as policy but please stop it with the bold face lying as I have been here for years and know exactly what you have and have not posted. YOu spend virtually all of your time here tearing down others and building yourself up and this is fact.

I appreciate your work in Africa but cut the lies man.
No. You are the liar. You don't like me, how can you like someone u think is a liar?? You can call me a liar, but if u check online and see me doing a technque, what does that make you? An A-HOLE,

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com

December 11th, 2010, 3:23 pm #30

I don't like your knocking others to build yourself up. Is it possible for you to present your material without bashing others? Just state your methods and do not talk about other method.

I am fine with you Amen I just don't like your ego.