Should women be treated different than men....

Should women be treated different than men....

January 22nd, 2010, 2:31 pm #1

when they are tested for rank? Should the requirements be the same? Or should it be made easier for the fairer sex?

Dorian Maith

January 22nd, 2010, 3:11 pm #2

....sexist claptrap.

Of course you try and teach the student as you find them. And some of the differences among students has to do with their biology....for example, guys aren't all the same size and don't have the same temperament.

But institutionalizing differences for the way that the, "fairer sex," is taught--what's next? girls' techniques for the poor wee things?--is exactly the sort of tactic men come up with to make sure that women do not learn. Among other things, it's a lovely way to reinforce our social tendencies to render women weak, so then us guys can rush in and protect them.

I've seen a number of guys who are utter hammerheads, with as much chance of learning techniques as fire hydrants. And it's weird--nobody ever muses about changing the techniques to fit guys' biology.

I've seen at least two couples where the guy did everything he could to sabotage his partner's training--mainly 'cuz she was clearly way more talented--and it's the darndest thing, nobody ever seems to debate whether guys are constitutionally too dumb to teach.

And the single toughest student I've taught to date, tough as anybody I'll ever see onna mat--took a lickin' and kept on tickin' no matter what, eyes LIT UP at the chance of sparring--happened to be a member of the "fairer sex." Going easy on her by changing things because she's a girl woulda been a dire insult to her spirit. She'd have caught it, and busted by dose.

So in brief, I'm kinda offended. Among other things--as a good friend is wont to point out, girls and women are far more likely to need their kenpo for real than most men are.

R.M. Robertson

January 22nd, 2010, 3:13 pm #3

when they are tested for rank? Should the requirements be the same? Or should it be made easier for the fairer sex?

Dorian Maith
The fairer sex? Have you watched the women fighting in the MMA circuit? And who among us men would volunteer to go three rounds with Rosie O'Donald?

Salute

This is a test to see if the KN system automatically, and usually improperly, places commas on either side of any "word" or "any group of words" that the writer places in quotes. Well, I just checked, and it doesn't.
Last edited by kenpotom on January 22nd, 2010, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2010, 3:17 pm #4

Dorian Maith
No, should be the same. I only discriminate slightly by size and only in things like sparring and other size/strength related techs. I am going to hit someone harder when they weigh 250 lbs vs someone that ways 100 lbs.

Zoran Sevic
http://www.facebook.com/zoran.sevic
http://www.myspace.com/zoransevic
http://www.youtube.com/zoransevic

January 22nd, 2010, 3:54 pm #5

Dorian Maith
No one should be tested for rank! We should just drop the belt system but since our uniforms are cool looking we can all just wear black belts from the start and if other arts ask why... We say "cause the black belts match the black uniform"... Then we can turn our attention to the rewards of skill rather then get side tracked by rank and respect based on a persons belt rather then knowledge, skill and virtue.

Now that wont happen so to answer your question, all people, male female and those who are mixed should have the same requirements, the only time it can be slightly adjusted is when the person has tailoring needs, like arms missing, legs missing, etc. even then I am not saying it should be made any easier just adjusted so that they can do it... we should maintain the same level of difficulty.

January 22nd, 2010, 4:06 pm #6

Dorian Maith
No.

Back to the mats,

Angela

January 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm #7

No one should be tested for rank! We should just drop the belt system but since our uniforms are cool looking we can all just wear black belts from the start and if other arts ask why... We say "cause the black belts match the black uniform"... Then we can turn our attention to the rewards of skill rather then get side tracked by rank and respect based on a persons belt rather then knowledge, skill and virtue.

Now that wont happen so to answer your question, all people, male female and those who are mixed should have the same requirements, the only time it can be slightly adjusted is when the person has tailoring needs, like arms missing, legs missing, etc. even then I am not saying it should be made any easier just adjusted so that they can do it... we should maintain the same level of difficulty.
I agree. The rank system is a pain in the butt for teachers like myself who care more about what the system does for you and what you can do for it than the dumb thing we wear around our waist.

Problem is, without the rank system, I couldn't run a school, because most students care mostly about the belts. It's sad in my view.

As for the women thing, if anything they should be treated on a higher plane than men--hence the reason they wear their belt knot on their right hip and men wear theirs on the left. They should never be discriminated against in any way, shape or form.

Michael Miller, CKF

January 22nd, 2010, 4:17 pm #8

...for black belts and instructors, I hear.

Unfortunately the prob with treating women on, a, "higher plane," than men is two things: a) it's the same old same old (as DeBeauvoir pointed out) virgin and whore dichotomy; b) as with stereotypes of ethnic "minorities," whether you portray somebody as less than human or more than human, you're still not portraying them as human.

Or as I've been known to say: "Hey, I'm a feminist. I'll kick ANYBODY in the crotch."

R.M. Robertson

January 22nd, 2010, 4:27 pm #9

No.

Back to the mats,

Angela
"I like to put a woman on a pedestal high enough.........." and I won't finish that quote right now.

Treat women differently? Sure, a two hand push to the chest is a two hand push to the shoulders. Do that for guys to because it upsets their balance better. Wait, that's not changing the attack. Never mind.

I think Angela said it best, "No".

Clark

January 22nd, 2010, 5:41 pm #10

...I'm starting to wonder if we should let GUYS learn techniques. I mean, it sure seems like our little brains are so caught up slamming our noses into the mirror that we couldn't possibly have time for the real thing...

R.M. Robertson