Reply to Brian Hunter

Reply to Brian Hunter

October 7th, 2008, 3:50 am #1

Ah Brian, your sarcasm is strong...Obi Wan has taught you well..LOL! What have I contributed? I teach privately. I have a few students I work with and I also teach at a local kenpo school from time to time in New Bedford. Before that I taught soldiers on my deployment. I\'ve developed a self defense course with a friend who is a BJJ practitioner for Paramedics in my department. Before that I owned a commercial studio with approx 100 students. Have I contributed enough for you? I\'ve also travelled to see my instructor 6 times this year, not an easy task seeing he is in Florida. You\'re correct, someday nobody will have trained or met Ed Parker. For now this is not the case. As there are many that have NEVER met Mr. Parker & Joe knows this. His choice of wording frequently leads many to believe he was a direct student of Mr. Parker. (I know this because I have been asked by many people about this) Yet Joe does nothing to set the record straight. Who has the real infatuation or better yet, dilusion of grandure? You may find this annoying but this IS a forum for opinions isn\'t it? or did the forum rules change?

"Whose "ism's" are those?"
Last edited by kenpo3631 on October 7th, 2008, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 7th, 2008, 12:17 pm #2

And yes..that is the type of things that are a great contribution. Again, thanks for your service, my time in that arena has passed.

However, all of that is lost or never said because you are simply too busy hiding in the bushes outside of Joe's bathroom or stalking him relentlessly on the forums. That is my point, nothing more, nothing less. We all get it, we all know you have issue with him for various reasons. Your relentless stalking proves or changes nothing. Even if you are right, it is still damned creepy and makes a guy wonder if you stalk ex-girlfriends in the same manner.
Last edited by Hunter04 on October 7th, 2008, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 7th, 2008, 3:30 pm #3

It's like Ralph Nader running for the Oval Office..LOL! Besides why would I peep on a big burly man for? LOL!!!! <ewwww!> I get ya Brian.

It's all on what Joe "doesn't say" that prompts me to re-surface this topic. I have been asked on one or more occassions if I know Kenpo Joe. Many practioners of Parker Kenpo or those fledgling schools just starting in Mr. Parker's wonderful art think Joe was Mr. Parker's direct student. So I'll give those that ask me a brief synopses of how I met and know Joe and explain to them his lineage and always refer them to him directly to clarify anything I am not sure about. Do they call? I don't know. One thing is, I never put him down (as a person or his abilities) I merely explain my history of knowing him.

Joe Rebelo NEVER studied directly with Mr. Parker accept for at seminars, as did I and many others here in New England. His experiences were different then mine I am sure.

October 7th, 2008, 4:59 pm #4

That particular subject has come up regarding others also. To say you studied under such and such person, implies you are a student of his...By the same token if you were taught by EPS at a seminar a certain move or a specific kata, have you learned it from him or not?

I always mention I learned this at a seminar by such and such person...

Here is the deal, if you were at a seminar for two days say 6 hours a day with said person that is 12 hours...

More time than most spend with a teacher if going 2 times a week in a month, more like a 6 week class...

Many Seminars are 8 hours a day = 16 now that is 2 months.

Hmmm

Gary

October 7th, 2008, 5:04 pm #5

Ah Brian, your sarcasm is strong...Obi Wan has taught you well..LOL! What have I contributed? I teach privately. I have a few students I work with and I also teach at a local kenpo school from time to time in New Bedford. Before that I taught soldiers on my deployment. I\'ve developed a self defense course with a friend who is a BJJ practitioner for Paramedics in my department. Before that I owned a commercial studio with approx 100 students. Have I contributed enough for you? I\'ve also travelled to see my instructor 6 times this year, not an easy task seeing he is in Florida. You\'re correct, someday nobody will have trained or met Ed Parker. For now this is not the case. As there are many that have NEVER met Mr. Parker & Joe knows this. His choice of wording frequently leads many to believe he was a direct student of Mr. Parker. (I know this because I have been asked by many people about this) Yet Joe does nothing to set the record straight. Who has the real infatuation or better yet, dilusion of grandure? You may find this annoying but this IS a forum for opinions isn\'t it? or did the forum rules change?

Lance, you need a better advertising campaign.

Show your strengths rather than (what you perceive to be) your competitor's weaknesses.

October 7th, 2008, 5:07 pm #6

That particular subject has come up regarding others also. To say you studied under such and such person, implies you are a student of his...By the same token if you were taught by EPS at a seminar a certain move or a specific kata, have you learned it from him or not?

I always mention I learned this at a seminar by such and such person...

Here is the deal, if you were at a seminar for two days say 6 hours a day with said person that is 12 hours...

More time than most spend with a teacher if going 2 times a week in a month, more like a 6 week class...

Many Seminars are 8 hours a day = 16 now that is 2 months.

Hmmm

Gary
I did 20+ hours on the mat weekend before last and I would certainly say that the time significantly influenced my Kenpo. I would consider this individual one of my teachers and would say I train directly under him even though I have only been able to get him here once every six months. It takes me that long to digest a weekend anyway. What we do, however, is about as far from a seminar environment as you can get.

Did folks have Mr. Parker out for a weekend?

CT

but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dennis Miller

October 7th, 2008, 8:30 pm #7

Lance, you need a better advertising campaign.

Show your strengths rather than (what you perceive to be) your competitor's weaknesses.
No advertisements here. Not trying to sell myself. Just voicing my opinion about a person whom I've know for over 20 years who is seemingly taking advantage of peoples naivity.

I know many on this board will say, "well he (Joe) knows his stuff". I'm not knocking his physical abilities or his ability to "sell" Kenpo. Joe talks a good talk, he always has. That is not what this post or my other posts were about. It's about the commission of ommission in regard to Joe's truthfulness.

Folks don't let Gary Brewer's B.S. post sway you. We ALL know there is a difference between spending a weekend on the mats, nomatter the amount of time and being someones personal student.

October 7th, 2008, 9:30 pm #8

When Mr. Hunter posted, I thought it was humorous. Now I'm beginning to there may be something to you having an abnormal obsession.

You say that Joe knows his stuff, that he has good physical abilities, and can speak well. Yet you have a problem that he doesn't tatoo "not first gen" on his forehead.

I cannot begin to tell you some of the stories I've heard about "some" kenpo people. Nevertheless, when I meet them I like them; when I attend a seminar, they always seem to teach me something I didn't know. If I were looking for a perfect person, I'd die before I found one; but that's not what I'm looking for anyway.

October 7th, 2008, 9:39 pm #9

No advertisements here. Not trying to sell myself. Just voicing my opinion about a person whom I've know for over 20 years who is seemingly taking advantage of peoples naivity.

I know many on this board will say, "well he (Joe) knows his stuff". I'm not knocking his physical abilities or his ability to "sell" Kenpo. Joe talks a good talk, he always has. That is not what this post or my other posts were about. It's about the commission of ommission in regard to Joe's truthfulness.

Folks don't let Gary Brewer's B.S. post sway you. We ALL know there is a difference between spending a weekend on the mats, nomatter the amount of time and being someones personal student.

Ok Lance, You are not being fair about my post...So how many were EPS personal students? And how many claim to be? That is a real good question, and Lance you should answer it.

Craig seems to get the whole of it, even if you don't.

Lance you have something that bugs you about this whole thing, and you need to spit it out before you choke on it.
To say what I said is BS, is more of the same BS I am thinking... My post was as straight up as it can be imho.

How many seminars did EPS do, where did he do them, and when? I can see if you only studied once or twice at a short seminar, of an hour or two to call it BS...

But if EPS taught you a certain form, or set of techs you were taught by him, simple.

But it should be told to all that it was at a seminar (as I have mentioned). Hope you have found this to helpful

Regards,
Gary

October 7th, 2008, 10:42 pm #10

I can see if you only studied once or twice at a short seminar, of an hour or two to call it BS...

Glad to see we agree. Gary I was putting your post into context with the type of seminar schedule Mr. Parker conducted here in New England.

Hypothetical here...

Seminar Tour...3 cities...1 seminar in each...1 hour long. You'd get three hours of training. Do that twice a year that's 6 hours of generalized group instruction. No over a span of 8 years that's 48 hours of generalized group instruction. WOW! a whole 48hours in 8 years, and sometimes the subject matter was repeated.

So 48 hours of instruction over the course of 8 years. I can see where I could consider Mr. Parker my instructor too <sarcasm>

Last edited by kenpo3631 on October 7th, 2008, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.