Quick question

Quick question

May 31st, 2011, 8:00 pm #1

Hi,
While training last night I was trying to explain to the students that in all martial arts when we are closing we always move the left leg in. I couldnt explain the reason behind this. Does anyone know why we do this and whats its orgin?

Cheers
Séan

May 31st, 2011, 9:16 pm #2

what are you talking about?
are you talking about closing a form out? Because I have seen peopel close both ways, left foot moving in and right foot moving in.
are you talking about something different?

May 31st, 2011, 9:37 pm #3

When we open up at start of a class, start of a set or end of a form Ive always been instructed to bring left leg in when closing. Was talking to a student the other night who spent years doing another type of martial arts and he said he was always instructed to bring left leg in when closing.

May 31st, 2011, 9:54 pm #4

Hi,
While training last night I was trying to explain to the students that in all martial arts when we are closing we always move the left leg in. I couldnt explain the reason behind this. Does anyone know why we do this and whats its orgin?

Cheers
Séan
Hello,

Great question,

I too as a student asked my Sensei this and the response I got was exactly what Mr. Robelo has said
in the video below (Check around 4:45 or so for the answer)

http://youtu.be/6dak_YLIqeU

I hope this helps.

Chris

June 1st, 2011, 4:38 am #5

Hi,

Cheers
Séan
It was explained to me that it was because Parker was left handed. So he open and closed with his left foot. I don't know if that helps but it is what I tell my students.

June 1st, 2011, 6:52 am #6

Hello Mr Pleis,

You stated that Mr Parker was left handed.
Last year we've had a seminar in Holland conducted by Mr Skip Hancock and among others he talked about the Dominance Factors.
Every person has a dominant eye, ear, hand/arm, foot/leg and brainhalf.
Mr Hancock explained that Mr Parker was all right dominant except the brainhalf. In that part he was left dominant.

Let's look at techniques like "The Backbreaker" and "Brushing the Storm". The attacker comes from the right. Because of the fact that Mr Parker's right eye was dominant he could see the attack coming. If the attacker stood on his left side, he couldn't see it coming unless he turned his head.

All the other techniques are actually designed for the righthanded people. Does that mean that it doesn't work for lefthanded people? Of course not! They can make it work for them as well.

So to make a big story small, I've understood that Mr Parker was a righthanded man.

But the question why step out and back in with the left legs remains...... (as I'm not able to see the link Mr Steward has posted, yet).

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hoevenaar

June 1st, 2011, 8:18 am #7

This is the first time anyone has told me Mr. Parker was left handed. I too gotta cry bull. :^)
Sean

June 1st, 2011, 2:52 pm #8

When we open up at start of a class, start of a set or end of a form Ive always been instructed to bring left leg in when closing. Was talking to a student the other night who spent years doing another type of martial arts and he said he was always instructed to bring left leg in when closing.
We move the left leg out to cast out the weak and then we bring it back into the strong. Left is considered weak side since right side is more dominant in our society as a whole.

There is one place in Kenpo where we do bring the right leg in, however.

Michael Miller, CKF

June 1st, 2011, 3:03 pm #9

This is the first time anyone has told me Mr. Parker was left handed. I too gotta cry bull. :^)
Sean
Thanks a lot Chris.
Thats the answer I was looking for.
I always had a feeling it was something to do with the Chinese or Japanese

June 1st, 2011, 7:13 pm #10

Hi,

Cheers
Séan
Despite all the symbolic mumbo-jumbo that people will like to attribute to this practice, the explanation is actually a practical one. Most people are right-handed, and stronger on their right side. That means if they need to balance on one leg, they will probably do better on their right leg than on their left. Stepping with the left foot at the beginningor ending of a form simply allows the student to keep his weight over his strong side, thereby making it easier to maintain balance and stability.