Question for y'all

Question for y'all

June 20th, 2012, 3:59 pm #1

What's better,

A Kenpoist who executes the movements really well,

Or

A Kenpoist who intellectually understands the art really well,

Or

A Kenpoist who boldly and masterfully expresses their spirit?
Last edited by Inkspill on June 20th, 2012, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2012, 4:49 pm #2

It's not about which of those is "better." It depends on what you value most, what your perceptions are, what your goals are, and so on. Kenpo is a personal art allowing personal expression. We are all different, so our personal style of Kenpo will be different.

Some are in it for the art form. Some are in it for self-protection. Some are in it for exercise (health and fitness). I know many people who are great at the art, but are not fighters by any means. I also know people who don't look good when doing forms, but can fight extremely well.

Personally, I would hope to have all three of what you mentioned, but not everyone will, nor is it wrong for them not to.

So, it depends...

June 20th, 2012, 5:11 pm #3

Good response Mike.

Regards,
Gary

June 20th, 2012, 5:16 pm #4

What's better,

Or

Or

Kenpo = law of the fist
ist = expertise

Kenpoist = expert at laws of the fist. In order to be considered an expert a playa must posess all three aspects mentioned or they cannot be considered an expert.

Have a nice day
W
http://www.kenpoguy.com/

June 20th, 2012, 5:18 pm #5

Good response Mike.

Regards,
Gary
Personally, I feel, that if you give 100 percent effort, 100 percent of the time toward becoming the best of which you are capable at your system and personal style of that system, you are where you need to be. Just continue to strive for progress each day. Never mistake activity for achievement and always be yourself. Have faith and patience, and enjoy the journey.

June 20th, 2012, 6:08 pm #6

Kenpo = law of the fist
ist = expertise

Kenpoist = expert at laws of the fist. In order to be considered an expert a playa must posess all three aspects mentioned or they cannot be considered an expert.

Have a nice day
W
Kenpo term is one that some mention, Law of the fist/Fist Law, means, receiving the law from another via the fist, as in handing a diploma to student from teacher. Could also mean you learned it from another who had diploma and the diploma is a law.

Similar to Gravity as a law.

Kanji is really only way to know for sure.

Romanization of Japanese is complicated and translation is not always correct. Gets into english language and for years is wrong.
The fact that all EPAKs feel Kenpo is excusivly theirs are only kidding them selves.

Thought I would throw that out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

Regards,
Gary

June 20th, 2012, 7:16 pm #7

Law of the Fist = (1)Laws are the concepts, theories and principles of the art. (2) application of the concepts, theories and principles, (3) Governing prinicples of the system (4)Selfle Defense Techniques, Freestyle, and Form.

I also agree about executing the laws on an agressor as one of the meanings of Kenpo in the American form.

This would probabley be a good place to explore other possible definitions and check to see if they logically fit, are valid, and true.

Have a nice day
W

June 20th, 2012, 7:55 pm #8

I agree with you. This is a good start.
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.ph ... 0u%20kempo

This form of martial arts can be translated in several ways. Some will call it "fist principles" or "the way of the fist", or even "law of the fist". The first character literally means fist. The second can mean law, method, way, principle or Buddhist teaching.
This is a very good link.
John Leoning was hooked up with, the way, hand of budda.
So if others are using his mon they must consider that. I

Regards,
Gary

June 20th, 2012, 8:06 pm #9

So up comes Kenpo Karate from Chow.

One persons mention.
Professor William (Willie) K. S. Chow, who began calling his system "Kenpo Karate" in 1949. Chow trained in "Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu" under Great Grand Master James Mitose who had learned the Kenpo art in Japan from his grandfather Sakuhi Yoshida
Then American Kenpo by EPS after a short time with Kenpo Karate, which others still use.

EPS first book is a great one, "Law of the Fist and Empty Hand", Kenpo Karate.
Which is explained in the link I put up in other post.

Regards,
Gary

June 20th, 2012, 10:38 pm #10

What's better,

Or

Or

kinda a trick question ; )

I'm reminded again, that it is necessary to develop all 3.

we are given corrections and knowledge in class, corrections in movement and deeper understanding of the art is passed on, as well as the development of that tiger spirit,

but if I don't practice, the knowledge never becomes truly mine, it's like water poured into an open mouth that won't swallow. the benefits are not received.

If your movements are very precise, but you don't have the intention in action, that tiger spirit, then your movements may be but an empty recital. are you going to stop that punch? are you striking with force? do you have the will to fight? are your movements effective at stopping the bad guy?

If you are all fire, but without precision, or without the understanding of the principles and concepts, what good will your movements be? I picture an aggressive attacker, swinging their arms wildly in anger. you could be easily overcome. without regulation, without control, without direction, what good is all that fire?

you could read all Mr. Parker's books, interview all his first generation students, ask a million questions, study over manuals, but that alone will not stop the bad guy from harming you.

If you can verbally explain and define, with perfect knowledge, the principle of marriage of gravity, but you can't actually utilize it in your movements, then that knowledge is wasted.

anyway, I was practicing and had one of those aha! moments while carving the knowledge into my movements, felt like sharing my thoughts and hopefully some others were inspired.

- Chuck