Question about foot positioning in LF1

Question about foot positioning in LF1

September 4th, 2010, 6:32 pm #1

Page 27 of I.I. volume 5, steps 9 and 10 show 9 is the forward bow and 10 is the cat.

My question is, do you pivot the back foot so that it is on the 45 degree angle BEFORE you slide back to the transitory cat stance?

As I play with this transition I try to remember that the transition is not a rear cross then twist out, but a step through reverse movement. It also pays to remind myself that teaching the minutia of these movements are better left for later when the student has either asked for help or needs it so bad that a little tinkering will make it all clearer for them.

It feels odd to pivot the back foot in to the 45 degree angle before shifting weight and sliding the front foot back to the cat. The timing goes against how I do it now. But when the knee is bent so that the heel rises, the pivot in to the 45 degree angle feels best.

It's weird to think how long I have used the book to reference the forms within it and I am still seeing things that now seem important.

Clark

September 4th, 2010, 9:22 pm #2

It depends on how sloppy I am that day lol!

What is the angle of your rear leg when your punch makes impact?

When I draw back thru the cat portion I hold off on moving the rear leg but at the point the cat leg becomes the rear leg I pivot with the blocking motion into the NBS.

September 4th, 2010, 9:32 pm #3

Page 27 of I.I. volume 5, steps 9 and 10 show 9 is the forward bow and 10 is the cat.

My question is, do you pivot the back foot so that it is on the 45 degree angle BEFORE you slide back to the transitory cat stance?

As I play with this transition I try to remember that the transition is not a rear cross then twist out, but a step through reverse movement. It also pays to remind myself that teaching the minutia of these movements are better left for later when the student has either asked for help or needs it so bad that a little tinkering will make it all clearer for them.

It feels odd to pivot the back foot in to the 45 degree angle before shifting weight and sliding the front foot back to the cat. The timing goes against how I do it now. But when the knee is bent so that the heel rises, the pivot in to the 45 degree angle feels best.

It's weird to think how long I have used the book to reference the forms within it and I am still seeing things that now seem important.

Clark
For what its worth;

My right foot pivots to 12:00 o'clock when punching / forward bow.

I draw my left foot back for the stand out move. My feet are in a 45 degree cat stance; left foot pointed to 10:30, right foot pointed to 12:00.

Continuing the step through reverse foot maneuver, I settle with both feet pointed to 10:30 in a right neutral bow with my right inward block.

I move this way because it does not make sense to move away from the direction I am traveling. Don't move back, to move forward; or in this case, don't move right to move left.

September 5th, 2010, 4:28 am #4

It depends on how sloppy I am that day lol!

What is the angle of your rear leg when your punch makes impact?

When I draw back thru the cat portion I hold off on moving the rear leg but at the point the cat leg becomes the rear leg I pivot with the blocking motion into the NBS.
wish I could do that.
Thanks Sami!

Clark

September 5th, 2010, 4:35 am #5

For what its worth;

I draw my left foot back for the stand out move. My feet are in a 45 degree cat stance; left foot pointed to 10:30, right foot pointed to 12:00.

Continuing the step through reverse foot maneuver, I settle with both feet pointed to 10:30 in a right neutral bow with my right inward block.

I move this way because it does not make sense to move away from the direction I am traveling. Don't move back, to move forward; or in this case, don't move right to move left.
Thanks Michael. I look forward to your reasoning on all of the message boards you contribute to.

Clark

September 7th, 2010, 7:32 pm #6

For what its worth;

I'm confused by what you wrote, can you clarify please?

you wrote:

-------------

do you turn your left foot towards 10:30 in a left 45 degree cat facing 12 or did you mistype? that's an incorrect 45 degree cat stance if that's how you're doing it.

September 8th, 2010, 11:03 am #7

Fair question ...

I did not mistype.

My CAT stance (as seen from the hips down) is toward 10:30. From the hips up, I continue to face 12:00.

Recall that in the move immediately preceding, we are in a Forward Bow facing 12:00 o'clock. While in a forward bow, our RIGHT foot is pointed directly to 12:00 o'clock. Our hips and shoulders are also square to 12:00 o'clock (on the 3-9 line). If you imagine a rectangle, from shoulder to shoulder to hip to hip, back to shoulder, that rectangle would be square to 12:00.

Are you with me so far?

Now, moving into the Stand Out Move, we draw our left foot back, re-cock our right hand, an execute a left inward block. At this instant, we should be in a 45 degree cat stance.

As I understand your question, what is the orientation of that 45 degree cat stance?

When executing this move, there is no reason to move or adjust the right foot at all. We will bend the right leg a bit, but the foot itself can remain planted where it was in the forward bow ~ facing 12;00 o'clock. There is also no reason to adjust the upper carriage of the body; we started facing 12, we can remain facing 12.

As it is my left foot that is in motion, I have a choice about the position to which I draw that foot. I choose to draw to a 45 degree cat stance, with the left foot facing 10:30 and right foot remaining at 12:00. My upper body remains oriented to 12:00.

The motion of our body as we continue to the next block is counter clockwise. If I were to adjust my cat stance to 12:00 o'clock, I would be required to move clockwise before moving counter clockwise. And that 'John Wayne' type maneuver is to be avoided; don't go back to go forward.

I hope this make sense to you.

September 8th, 2010, 7:17 pm #8

that made sense, but why turn your left foot to point towards 10:30 in the 45 cat?

that's not a 45 degree cat, in a 45 degree cat the foot closest to the target points at the target. The hips are also square to the target, I understand the rest.

I don't see the logic in pointing the left foot away from the opponent while in the cat. It's incorrect. It opens your groin up, I gues

In the left nuetral bow the left toes are turned in (closed gate) toward 1:30 or maybe 2:00, depending on preference.

When you step through reverse turn the left foot only until it points towards 12, that's a correct foot position for the cat, the toe points wear the belly button points, in this case, towards 12.

I under stand that the cat is a transitional stance in the step through reverse, but in a 45 degree cat. the left foot (in this case) points towards the target, along with the hips/belly button.

I understand that we then turn the toes towards 10:30 to a correct right nuetral bow and close the gate, but the cat should be correct, don't change the basic, turn the foot out after you hit the 45 cat.

September 8th, 2010, 7:38 pm #9

I guess I would suggest to you, Chuck, a look at what the right foot does, as you move through the first block, stand out move, second block.

Are you creating extra moves with the right foot, to accomodate the left?

For certainly a 45 degree cat stance needs to have the two feet pointed in different directions; otherwise, it would be a 0 degree cat stance.

Also ... note that it is not uncommon to have the upper body torqued 45 degrees off angle from where the lower body is. (See the blocks in the middle section of Long Form 1). I believe this is just another example of that.

September 8th, 2010, 8:37 pm #10

My right foot pivots on the heel pointing towards 1:30 while I hit the cat, then I close the gate as I move into the right neutral bow.