Progressive Directional Harmony.

Progressive Directional Harmony.

August 14th, 2010, 4:46 pm #1

Anyone?

Clark
WE ARE BORG..................

August 14th, 2010, 6:12 pm #2

Re: Progressive Directional Harmony.
Last edited by sumdumguy on August 15th, 2010, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2010, 10:28 pm #3

Anyone?

Clark
WE ARE BORG..................
Torque while moving the center in any any direction

If motion ignites from the center the weapons/body may travel in directional harmony but reach targets at different points in time, a sort of progressive destruction without the loss of Harmony or change in direction. Look foward to your answer.

August 14th, 2010, 10:32 pm #4

Re: Progressive Directional Harmony.
A dotted line delineates the first 3 movements from the last 5.

#4 Without disrupting the flow and momentum of your right hand strike, pivot counterclockwise into a right reverse bow (while slightly altering your orbit), and convert your right hand into a right downward hammer fist strike to your opponent's groin. Simultaneously have your left hand check near the right side of your face.

#5. Immediately pivot back to a right neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock, while executing a right outward back knuckle strike to the right side of your opponent's face. Simultaneously have your left hand positionally check.

(wait for it........)

6. Utilizing Progressive Directional Harmony, have your left foot cross over and in front of your right foot into a left front twist stance, facing 12 o'clock. (1) Prior to planting your left foot execute a left vertical to your opponent's sternum, simultaneous with a right horizontal forearm check, below your left punch. (2) As your left foot plants into the twist stance execute a right inward horizontal elbow strike to your opponent's left maxillary hinge. Simultaneous with this strike execute a left inward horizontal heel palm strike to his right maxillary hinge, thus causing a sandwiching effect.

7. Simultaneously, (1) thread a right knee kick into your opponent's groin, (2) execute a right outward heel palm strike to his solar plexus, (3) execute a left inward five finger circular claw across your his face.

....and I could go on but I think I have illustrated that I DID NOT CREATE Progressive Directional Harmony.

My point is, when you read the description in the Encyclopedia of Kenpo, and then read the steps involved in the CF extension, the words do not begin to describe what it feels like to be hit this way. I liken it to the feeling of walking in to an immovable object. You bounce off of the punch as it comes in. Makes the whole Correlation of Forces a bit more understandable.

Simulating conversations only happen when one shares their understanding of their subject. My Kenpo is pretty much the same as yours Todd, accents vary though. Have a great Kenpoborg day!

Clark D. Cole SI
WE ARE BORG...............

August 14th, 2010, 10:36 pm #5

If motion ignites from the center the weapons/body may travel in directional harmony but reach targets at different points in time, a sort of progressive destruction without the loss of Harmony or change in direction. Look foward to your answer.
In this case the twist stops after the fist has connected. I think I am seeing PDH in the reverse also when it comes to the 'reverse bow buckle, front cross knee kick to spread their base' thing that happens so much in 24 Orange extensions. Each thing having an opposite, a reverse, and so on.

When I learned it from an instructor in 1990, it felt like I was being sucked in to the punch. It's a surreal feeling of distorted time that works both ways.

Clark
WE ARE BORG.........................WE AREN'T CYNICAL

August 15th, 2010, 1:20 am #6

Re: Take a bow
Last edited by sumdumguy on August 15th, 2010, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2010, 1:27 pm #7

A dotted line delineates the first 3 movements from the last 5.

#4 Without disrupting the flow and momentum of your right hand strike, pivot counterclockwise into a right reverse bow (while slightly altering your orbit), and convert your right hand into a right downward hammer fist strike to your opponent's groin. Simultaneously have your left hand check near the right side of your face.

#5. Immediately pivot back to a right neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock, while executing a right outward back knuckle strike to the right side of your opponent's face. Simultaneously have your left hand positionally check.

(wait for it........)

6. Utilizing Progressive Directional Harmony, have your left foot cross over and in front of your right foot into a left front twist stance, facing 12 o'clock. (1) Prior to planting your left foot execute a left vertical to your opponent's sternum, simultaneous with a right horizontal forearm check, below your left punch. (2) As your left foot plants into the twist stance execute a right inward horizontal elbow strike to your opponent's left maxillary hinge. Simultaneous with this strike execute a left inward horizontal heel palm strike to his right maxillary hinge, thus causing a sandwiching effect.

7. Simultaneously, (1) thread a right knee kick into your opponent's groin, (2) execute a right outward heel palm strike to his solar plexus, (3) execute a left inward five finger circular claw across your his face.

....and I could go on but I think I have illustrated that I DID NOT CREATE Progressive Directional Harmony.

My point is, when you read the description in the Encyclopedia of Kenpo, and then read the steps involved in the CF extension, the words do not begin to describe what it feels like to be hit this way. I liken it to the feeling of walking in to an immovable object. You bounce off of the punch as it comes in. Makes the whole Correlation of Forces a bit more understandable.

Simulating conversations only happen when one shares their understanding of their subject. My Kenpo is pretty much the same as yours Todd, accents vary though. Have a great Kenpoborg day!

Clark D. Cole SI
WE ARE BORG...............
I saw this extension for the first time in 1991 from Mr. Tommy Chavies at seminar in Boston. I know how it goes but as written I think it's mis-leading.

"Prior to planting your left foot execute a left vertical to your opponent's sternum, simultaneous with a right horizontal forearm check, below your left punch"

After reading this I thought, would Mr. Parker actually punch you while on one foot while moving forward? Doesn't that seem odd? I think if the punch made contact as you were settling into the the left front twist stance it would make more sense.

I also tried to think of techniques somewhere else in the system where we might have seen these movements before. Similar movements are shown in Circling Fans and Fatal Deviation. So then why add them onto the exisiting technique extenions? I though the "Extensions" were to "add" new information to your "vocabulary of motion" not repeat it.

I sometimes wonder if Mr. Parker actually added these changes or if someone else did it and he approved them. I say this because for those that met him or were part of his organization while he was alive, know that he was an extemely busy man. Amongst his family life,teaching, travelling, etc. it is my opinion that he did a some rubber stamping.

"Whose "ism's" are those?"
Last edited by kenpo3631 on August 16th, 2010, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2010, 10:15 pm #8

the wording is vague, but then vague is a standard when it comes to writing out AK techniques.

"I know how it goes but as written I think it's mis-leading."

I do not raise the entire foot off the ground while the left punch is launched. My left foot slides on the leading edge and lands after the punch makes contact. It works, but it is vague in its reading.

Clark

August 17th, 2010, 7:09 pm #9

a simple example of utilizing a minor move in transition...it's not that complicated...

it shows that even in transition minor moves are possible to enhance your major move. this could also be looked at as an accelerated move or execution.

the punch may also have been inserted to keep the attackers head in position so the targets are still available by the time the elbow smash reaches the targets. the previous move was a backnuckle to the face. After contact there will be reaction, which would more than likely be the attacker bringing his head back into alignment after the initial whipping back. This may eliminate the target access, so, why not make sure it stays there, and the targets remain open???

also, you can still generate significant power from body rotation in that kind of execution.

August 17th, 2010, 9:48 pm #10

how, precisely what angle punch travels. Glancing or straight on?

I remember it being more glancing than straight on.

Or to be more precise, the angle of execution passes through as well as strikes in toward the body.

I don't think I would call the punch a minor move, seems more like a transitional move that sets up the elbow. (Kenpo, go figur)

If it were simple, it wouldn't be talked about until 1st brown maybe?

Clark