New Kenpo demo on Youtube

New Kenpo demo on Youtube

November 26th, 2007, 6:31 am #1

Yesterday (11-25) our Dutch Action Kenpo Karate Demo Team performed at the annual Panther Martial Arts Event in our hometown Utrecht.

Here's the video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Marcel de Jong, 4th Black from the Netherlands

http://www.katsudokenpo.nl

November 26th, 2007, 5:08 pm #2

I liked the content of the demo.It was put together well and showcased many aspects of the art of kenpo. Great job.I did notice one thing I want to comment about. The people in the video (instructors included) move well, upperbody speaking. There is a great absence of lower body and hip movement during all techniques and forms. The question is? Do you not emphasize lower quadrant or do you not get taught the use of the lower quadrant? or Do you feel it is not necessary to use hips and legs and stances in kenpo? Just an observation. Otherwise a great demo geared to those who don't know kenpo has legs!

If you disagree I ask you to watch the demo again closly and you will find the same thing I did.

El toro
Last edited by eltoro47 on November 26th, 2007, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 26th, 2007, 8:00 pm #3

That was a good Kenpo demo. Nothing is perfect and everything can be improved upon. I think it is unfair and a bit harsh to say "There is a great absence of lower body and hip movement during all techniques and forms." I saw plenty of lower body movement a stance changes. I would watch it again, and you will see what I'm talking about.

November 26th, 2007, 8:29 pm #4

Yesterday (11-25) our Dutch Action Kenpo Karate Demo Team performed at the annual Panther Martial Arts Event in our hometown Utrecht.

Here's the video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Dear Marcel,
Great demo and nice cheoreography! A wonderful display! Keep up the good work!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

November 26th, 2007, 9:32 pm #5

That was a good Kenpo demo. Nothing is perfect and everything can be improved upon. I think it is unfair and a bit harsh to say "There is a great absence of lower body and hip movement during all techniques and forms." I saw plenty of lower body movement a stance changes. I would watch it again, and you will see what I'm talking about.
Thanks a lot Al, for looking at us a lot better then El Toro did.

Marcel

November 26th, 2007, 9:36 pm #6

I thought it was good too. I posted this over on americankenpoforum as well. We can actually discuss Kenpo over there....grin. Sorry I'm still reeling from my recent deletion here.

Nice!
CT

but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dennis Miller

November 26th, 2007, 9:54 pm #7

I liked the content of the demo.It was put together well and showcased many aspects of the art of kenpo. Great job.I did notice one thing I want to comment about. The people in the video (instructors included) move well, upperbody speaking. There is a great absence of lower body and hip movement during all techniques and forms. The question is? Do you not emphasize lower quadrant or do you not get taught the use of the lower quadrant? or Do you feel it is not necessary to use hips and legs and stances in kenpo? Just an observation. Otherwise a great demo geared to those who don't know kenpo has legs!

If you disagree I ask you to watch the demo again closly and you will find the same thing I did.

El toro
...for the compliments made.

At the topic of lower body movement, I'd suggest you look at the video again, as for I just don't agree with you. I'm not going to argue with you about what you think you saw, but there was, there is and there always will be lower body movement in our Kenpo. Could we do better at that? I'm sure we can, there will always be room for improvement on many aspects of anybody's Kenpo.

To your question whether we emphasize the lower quadrant, of course we don't, not in a demo. If you want to hit someone with your hands, it's just plain stupid to emphasize the lower quadrant. The lower quadrant is used to emphasize on the weapons in use, which in most cases are the hands.

Do we regularly in our training emphasize the importance of lower body movement in order to be able to create power in our weapons (hands)? We sure do, all the time, but that's training, this is a demo, for an audience we don't want to bore with our training methods. You just don't do stance set 5 times in front of an audience, nor do we show our techniques slow motion without the hands to be able to focus on the feet.

I hope this answers your question on how we think about lower body movement.

Regards,
Marcel

November 26th, 2007, 10:44 pm #8

Mr. Marcel Sir,
I was not being a jerk about the stances. I have do disagree with your response

"To your question whether we emphasize the lower quadrant, of course we don't, not in a demo. If you want to hit someone with your hands, it's just plain stupid to emphasize the lower quadrant. The lower quadrant is used to emphasize on the weapons in use, which in most cases are the hands."

Did you ever watch Mr. Parkers Demo? Did he hold back his feet and stances to save the attacker NO Senior!!! Its called control! Also look back at the IKC demos of Mr. Dye, Mr Trejo, Mr. Thompson. Mr Montoya, Mr. Collado. Watch some of Mr. Tatums demos, Watch Mr Downey's guys,Watch Gary Ellis, Watch Anto Pacigian. They all have power torque and STANCES but have control in all the Demos they do. I don't understand how you can take out power to show kenpo at a demo. AS a 4th degree Black you should be boving at 100% all the time in a demo, but have the ability to control your hand and Depth of penetration.

Your way off base on this one. Your just shooting blanks at pistol range amigo,And yelling BULLSEYE!!!

And to those who feel that theses are good stances well, I guess you never learned them either. Sorry to hear that amigos!!!
El toro

November 27th, 2007, 12:51 am #9

As a person who understands the system well enough to say details are never 100% and when it comes to Rules and Principles not all the time can we be so perfect.
Just to prove a point about details and where we all can't be 100% take a look at the cover of Volume 1 "Infinite Insights" into Kenpo....Ed Parker himself had bads days....LOL!
I have seen first hand the skills that Marcel and his students are capabale of,and trust me if your worried about breaking Rules and petty steps....be assure he maybe breaking Rules in a Demo but I can say he is more than able to break some bones with his skill level as well.
We all should be more thankful that people like Marcel and a few others who are out there promoting Kenpo to the public and given a plug for all of us is just good for the community at best.
I say high 5 for the effort and high 5 for keeping us informed what goes on across the water.....TCB
Sean Kelley

November 27th, 2007, 3:03 am #10

Here's the video:

De heel goede demo. Ik genoot grondig van het kijken van de demonstratie.

I enjoyed your demo.