My latest interview with Grandmaster Michael Robert Pick

My latest interview with Grandmaster Michael Robert Pick

June 16th, 2008, 9:15 pm #1

Everyone,

I encourage you all to check out the following link to Pick's Corner on the Chinese Karate Federation Web site as the new June interview has just been posted.

http://www.chinesekaratefederation.com/mikepickckf.html

I would publicly like to thank Mr. Pick for his willingness to allow me to interview him every month for all to benefit from his wisdom. He is a wonderful man and those of you who are lucky enough to know him know exactly what I mean!

Salute,

Michael Miller
CKF Public Relations Administrator

PS. Mr. Pick will be conducting a seminar along with Mr. Sean Kelley at my school, Miller's Kenpo Karate Dojo, in Bradford, Pa (home of the Zippo lighter) August 22-24, 2008. Check out the seminar link on the CKF site or go to www.millersdojo.com for more information. Space is limited so if you are interested in attending please contact me ASAP.

Studio number is 814-368-3725

June 16th, 2008, 9:48 pm #2

Invented the Zippo, Mike?!?!

So that's how you can afford to own a karate school....grin.

CT

but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dennis Miller

June 16th, 2008, 10:08 pm #3

The Zippo factory is in my town Bradford, Pa, which is what my town is known for (look at the bottom of any Zippo and it will say Bradford, Pa). George G. Blaisdell invented the Zippo and he lived in Bradford, so Zippo was founded and stayed right in my town. Also, here is the Case factory for you knife fans.

We have a beautiful museum that was established in 1999 I believe. I was the head of security for the grand opening of the museum. That was a grand ole time.

I worked at Zippo for a summer when I was in college and it reminded me why I was going to college. That job was my least favorite job ever, but I love Zippo's. I got to work the operation for three months.

I can afford to run a full time school because I sell a video series with a black belt diploma for $2000.00 through "Black Belt" magazine and E-bay (lol). I work off the honor system of believing they will actually practice off my tapes. Furthermore, anyone who wants promoted by me can call me up and if you pay my travel, hotel and food as well as $1000.00 for the promotion, I will show up with a beautiful hand drawn certificate colored in crayon by my daughter (lol).

Michael Miller, CKF

Last edited by millhouse23 on June 16th, 2008, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 16th, 2008, 10:24 pm #4

"I can afford to run a full time school because I sell a video series with a black belt diploma for $2000.00 through "Black Belt" magazine and E-bay (lol). I work off the honor system of believing they will actually practice off my tapes. Furthermore, anyone who wants promoted by me can call me up and if you pay my travel, hotel and food as well as $1000.00 for the promotion, I will show up with a beautiful hand drawn certificate colored in crayon by my daughter (lol)."

So you're actually Chief Roman. Now I am sorry I didn't drag my butt to Florida in Feb.

Just a thought on your interviews with Mr. Pick. I've noticed that his answer starts out in English and then he kind of goes into "Pick" speak. Maybe after he answers you could say "Now pretend I've never been on the mat with you and answer that question." Just a thought.

Thanks!
CT

but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dennis Miller

June 16th, 2008, 11:57 pm #5

Craig,

Yeah, I was thinking of Chief Roman noodle when I typed that up. It's the first thing that popped into my head.

Anyway, as for Mr. Pick's interviews, he is an articulate man with an immaculate way with words. He is the most intriguing master I have ever been on the floor with and taken classes under. His intellect goes well beyond the norm, in my opinion. He teaches that way. If you have never been on the floor with him and you went to a seminar to take a class under him, you would listen to his way of speaking and teaching. He is a teacher of those who want to excel in knowledge and war. He does not teach like you would teach a beginner, but yet, anybody can learn from his seminars. If you are a beginner, you would learn some amazing things about your basics regardless of whether or not a few his words were not in your vocabulary.

The first time I took a lesson under him, he blew me away. He went into a lesson on physics and began talking about his teachings of 12 point, fortified engagement, inertia, the eight stages of engagement (as taught in the UKF), and much more. Admittedly, some things went over my head, but I actually got the lessons in physics and from that day forward I looked at my Kenpo from a power and mass based perspective vs a speed based mindset. I used to be speed oriented where my limbs would be disassociated from my core so I lacked power potential that I had all along if I would use my body as one unit and use the principles of physics vs my upper body doing most of the work. Don't get me wrong, my primary instructor, Mr. Kelley, has taken me further than anyone in the Kenpo world, but Mr. Pick has truly changed my Kenpo as well.

Since my first seminar with him I have had numerous more and will continue to take as many per year as possible as long as God blesses us with Mr. Pick's uniqueness on this earth. I have told people that if they don't get the lessons in physics, they need to study it. Honestly, if you understand physics, listening to Mr. Pick is much easier and you will get it. When he gives answers like those he gives in my interviews it forces you to think. That, in my opinion, is what Kenpo is about. It is a thinking person's art based on science. It forces you to go beyond yourself and find something you never thought existed. It broaden's your intelligence. I for one have always believed to excel in something you must be around those who excel. To be successful you must be around those who are successful. In this case, to get Mr. Pick and his teachings, you need to be around him, which is the path I have chosen to follow thanks to my great instructor Mr. Kelley.

Sorry for the long post.

Michael Miller
Last edited by millhouse23 on June 17th, 2008, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2008, 3:09 am #6

Everyone,

I encourage you all to check out the following link to Pick's Corner on the Chinese Karate Federation Web site as the new June interview has just been posted.

http://www.chinesekaratefederation.com/mikepickckf.html

I would publicly like to thank Mr. Pick for his willingness to allow me to interview him every month for all to benefit from his wisdom. He is a wonderful man and those of you who are lucky enough to know him know exactly what I mean!

Salute,

Michael Miller

PS. Mr. Pick will be conducting a seminar along with Mr. Sean Kelley at my school, Miller's Kenpo Karate Dojo, in Bradford, Pa (home of the Zippo lighter) August 22-24, 2008. Check out the seminar link on the CKF site or go to www.millersdojo.com for more information. Space is limited so if you are interested in attending please contact me ASAP.

Studio number is 814-368-3725
hey mike,
we were so blown away by the classes he taught at corsellos place that we have been waiting for him to come up this way. we have been discussing this visit as a possibility. will this be a weekend gig or a one day event?

June 17th, 2008, 5:04 am #7

Craig,

Yeah, I was thinking of Chief Roman noodle when I typed that up. It's the first thing that popped into my head.

Anyway, as for Mr. Pick's interviews, he is an articulate man with an immaculate way with words. He is the most intriguing master I have ever been on the floor with and taken classes under. His intellect goes well beyond the norm, in my opinion. He teaches that way. If you have never been on the floor with him and you went to a seminar to take a class under him, you would listen to his way of speaking and teaching. He is a teacher of those who want to excel in knowledge and war. He does not teach like you would teach a beginner, but yet, anybody can learn from his seminars. If you are a beginner, you would learn some amazing things about your basics regardless of whether or not a few his words were not in your vocabulary.

The first time I took a lesson under him, he blew me away. He went into a lesson on physics and began talking about his teachings of 12 point, fortified engagement, inertia, the eight stages of engagement (as taught in the UKF), and much more. Admittedly, some things went over my head, but I actually got the lessons in physics and from that day forward I looked at my Kenpo from a power and mass based perspective vs a speed based mindset. I used to be speed oriented where my limbs would be disassociated from my core so I lacked power potential that I had all along if I would use my body as one unit and use the principles of physics vs my upper body doing most of the work. Don't get me wrong, my primary instructor, Mr. Kelley, has taken me further than anyone in the Kenpo world, but Mr. Pick has truly changed my Kenpo as well.

Since my first seminar with him I have had numerous more and will continue to take as many per year as possible as long as God blesses us with Mr. Pick's uniqueness on this earth. I have told people that if they don't get the lessons in physics, they need to study it. Honestly, if you understand physics, listening to Mr. Pick is much easier and you will get it. When he gives answers like those he gives in my interviews it forces you to think. That, in my opinion, is what Kenpo is about. It is a thinking person's art based on science. It forces you to go beyond yourself and find something you never thought existed. It broaden's your intelligence. I for one have always believed to excel in something you must be around those who excel. To be successful you must be around those who are successful. In this case, to get Mr. Pick and his teachings, you need to be around him, which is the path I have chosen to follow thanks to my great instructor Mr. Kelley.

Sorry for the long post.

Michael Miller
And without a doubt he is one of the most powerful individuals I have ever met. The first time I met him was at Bryan Hawkins school and I was wearing my gi with Jeff Speakman's name on my back. He shook my hand, pat me on the shoulder and said nice to meet you; How is Jeff? He was such a genuinely nice man, I was not prepared for what would transpire moments later on the mat.

We came to find out that very recently a close friend of his had passed, and he dedcated that session to his friend. Teh next few hours were incredible, powerful and eye opening. What did I learn? bits here and there, it was actually my first real exposure to knife work, so I was more than a bit overwhelmed.

I have been to see Mr. Pick a couple of more times since then and have never been disappointed. He's a pretty remarkable man.

FWIW...

Mark Gaskins
Jeff Speakman Kenpo Karate

June 17th, 2008, 1:27 pm #8

hey mike,
we were so blown away by the classes he taught at corsellos place that we have been waiting for him to come up this way. we have been discussing this visit as a possibility. will this be a weekend gig or a one day event?
Hey Dave,

My students and I are planning on going too. We will probably have some one in need to share a hotel room. It is a long drive to get there. If you have the same situation we can group them in together. Let us know.

With Respect,
Mike Corsello

June 17th, 2008, 4:36 pm #9

hey mike,
David,

This is a Friday and Saturday event with Mr. Pick and Mr. Kelley teaching. The dates are Friday, August 22 and Saturday August 23.

Friday night will begin with a class from 5-6:30pm on Basics with Mr. Pick. If you have never had a basics class with Mr. Pick you will not want to miss this if you are able to come. Then, from 7:00-8:30pm Mr. Kelley will be teaching a position recognition class.

Saturday will be a HUGE day. Here is the lineup and topics:

10:00-11:00am Child Class with Mr. Pick

TOPIC: Formation of Energy through Stances

1:00-2:30pm Adult class with Mr. Pick

TOPIC: Empty Hand Knife Attacks

3:00 - 4:30pm Adult class with Mr. Kelley

TOPIC: Grafting and Flow Drills

5:00-6:30pm Adult class with Mr. Pick

TOPIC: Attack the Attack

If you can make the whole weekend you will get three amazing classes with Mr. Pick and two with Mr. Kelley.

Space is limited as my school can only house about 28 adults on the floor at once. Most of my students will probably be there and I have a small adult base of 20. I am anticipating 15 of my adult students will be there both days. That leaves about 13 more slots available. If anybody wants to take part in this, I ask that you pre-register to ensure a spot.

I am charging those who travel here $50.00 for one day or $75.00 for both. I try to make things affordable for people who travel here. I hope you guys can make it.

To pre-register call me or E-mail me ASAP and I will E-mail you a registration form that you can fill out and send to me with a check made out to Miller's Dojo.

My school address is 443 East Main Street
Bradford, Pa 16701

I am between 5.5 and 6 hours away from you David. I suggest you follow up with Mike Corsello as it would be helpful for you guys. Also, I get a hotel rate of $75.00 per night, which is a good deal. I think up to 4 or 5 can stay per room.

If anybody has any questions please E-mail me or call me at my studio: 814-368-3725

Salute,

Michael Miller
www.millersdojo.com