Mike Pick and Bruce Lee in early 1960's

Mike Pick and Bruce Lee in early 1960's

August 25th, 2009, 10:13 pm #1

Greetings everyone.

In 1987 Bryan Hawkins became a private student of Ed Parker Sr. Being the new West LA manager, Mr. Parker had Bryan Hawkins over at his house twice a week; one day for physical training and one day for Q&A. On the Q&A day of the week Mr. Parker told Bryan Hawkins, "Bryan, I want you to ask me about everyone and everything. If youre going to be the new manager of West LA its important you know whos who in the zoo". On one particular sit down, here is the story that Ed Parker Sr. relayed to Bryan Hawkins regarding Bruce Lee and Mike Pick in the early 1960s

One afternoon Bruce Lee was at the Pasadena school with Mr. Parker. Bruce Lee saw Mike Pick on the mat and asked Mr. Parker if he could spar his student; Mr. Parker welcomed him to do so. Mr. Parker recalled Mike Pick several times running Bruce Lee into a corner of the mat, then backing off (allowing a return to the center of the mat), then reengaging with Bruce Lee. At the conclusion of their sparring, Bruce Lee asked Ed Parker Sr. how old his student was; Mr. Parker answered, "Oh Mike? He's about 16". Bruce Lee then asked Mr. Parker if he could fight Mike Pick again, but he didnt want anyone else around. Mr. Parker happily agreed.

Over some span of time there were several occasions when Mike Pick sparred with Bruce Lee. Mike Pick described Bruce Lee as quick. Though Ed Parker Sr. expressed some pride towards his teenage student's ability to hold his own with a man in his early 20's, Ed Parker Sr. also considered Bruce Lee to be a very talented martial artist. In one interview Ed Parker Sr. said, "You could show Bruce something once. The first time he did it, it would be as good as you, the second time, better than you."

I hope this helps.

WI, AP
UKS
Last edited by Wes-Idol on August 25th, 2009, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 26th, 2009, 8:08 am #2

how it can help anything.

August 26th, 2009, 12:51 pm #3

Not sure it was directly intended to "help anything", but nonetheless, it is very interesting, and says a lot about Mr. Pick's awesome skills.

Jamie Seabrook
CKF Canada
www.jamieseabrook.com

August 26th, 2009, 4:48 pm #4

Silly man, don't you get it? It makes Mike Pick out to be the Legend, Successor, and Second Grandmaster of Kenpo that his students want him to be. I thought that was obvious!

August 26th, 2009, 6:40 pm #5

Below there was a thread regarding the reality of these sparring sessions. I meant to aid that discussion; my apology for not being more clear.

-WI

August 27th, 2009, 1:53 am #6

Silly man, don't you get it? It makes Mike Pick out to be the Legend, Successor, and Second Grandmaster of Kenpo that his students want him to be. I thought that was obvious!
...you just don't like the Pick.

August 27th, 2009, 2:11 pm #7

Greetings everyone.

In 1987 Bryan Hawkins became a private student of Ed Parker Sr. Being the new West LA manager, Mr. Parker had Bryan Hawkins over at his house twice a week; one day for physical training and one day for Q&A. On the Q&A day of the week Mr. Parker told Bryan Hawkins, "Bryan, I want you to ask me about everyone and everything. If youre going to be the new manager of West LA its important you know whos who in the zoo". On one particular sit down, here is the story that Ed Parker Sr. relayed to Bryan Hawkins regarding Bruce Lee and Mike Pick in the early 1960s

One afternoon Bruce Lee was at the Pasadena school with Mr. Parker. Bruce Lee saw Mike Pick on the mat and asked Mr. Parker if he could spar his student; Mr. Parker welcomed him to do so. Mr. Parker recalled Mike Pick several times running Bruce Lee into a corner of the mat, then backing off (allowing a return to the center of the mat), then reengaging with Bruce Lee. At the conclusion of their sparring, Bruce Lee asked Ed Parker Sr. how old his student was; Mr. Parker answered, "Oh Mike? He's about 16". Bruce Lee then asked Mr. Parker if he could fight Mike Pick again, but he didnt want anyone else around. Mr. Parker happily agreed.

Over some span of time there were several occasions when Mike Pick sparred with Bruce Lee. Mike Pick described Bruce Lee as quick. Though Ed Parker Sr. expressed some pride towards his teenage student's ability to hold his own with a man in his early 20's, Ed Parker Sr. also considered Bruce Lee to be a very talented martial artist. In one interview Ed Parker Sr. said, "You could show Bruce something once. The first time he did it, it would be as good as you, the second time, better than you."

I hope this helps.

WI, AP
UKS
Hey Wes,

I was wondering did you manage to get Mr Pick's knives out of the UK after the BKKU seminar in July? Or did the security at the airport take a dim view?

August 27th, 2009, 3:50 pm #8

Both directions I was honest and upfront with security about what I was traveling with, which I suspect aided the situation. I have this feeling that if security had found them on their own it might have been a different experience. For example, I was led to believe that if you ship knives into the UK they must fit some criteria, coooking, hunting, etc. After going through the choices I realized that the PTK2 was not going to truly fit any of the criteria that was being offered, which is why I contacted security ahead of time and went through bags with them.

Although I was a butcher years ago, I still think it would have been a real stretch to claim how I use the jagged edges in conjuction with the half moon scallop to make New York steaks.

WI

August 27th, 2009, 3:52 pm #9

you look like a trustworthy kind of chap - which must have helped!

August 27th, 2009, 3:57 pm #10

It's amazing what clean living can do for a lad like myself. On anotehr note, thanks for asking.

WI