Letter from Grandmaster Michael Robert Pick:

Letter from Grandmaster Michael Robert Pick:

October 26th, 2007, 8:26 pm #1

First, before I post Mr. Pick's letter, I want to inform the KenpoNet readers as to why this was written. There have been a lot of inappropriate posts on the American Kenpo Forum. Although they stem from only a handful of people, there have been some ignorant posts about my instructor Sean Kelley and without stating any names, his newest rank has been questioned. I have been given the responsibility to post this post on behalf of Mr. Pick as this issue must be addressed.

Here is his letter:

Greetings Kenpo world!

I am not one to enter into a fray of disrespect and decayed presentation on internet dialogs that
allow viewers to see men and women challenging one another with immature behavior and conduct, but something important needs attention. I enter this matter through my friend and student Mr. Sean Kelley. I do not need to defend Mr. Kelley, for he is more than capable of defending himself, but I must set the record straight in regards to his rank and status with me.

I promoted Mr. Kelley to 7th Degree Black Belt with the endorsement of GrandMaster Dave Hebler and 8th Degree Black Belt, Mr. Rainer Schulte, in the presence of such notables as Mr. Joe Lewis and Mr. Bill Wallace and a host of others from many Martial Arts organizations. Make no assumptions in regards to Mr. Kelley's devotion to American Kenpo and serving his community. Mr. Kelley for many years has served with the Guardian Angels patrolling in drug and crime infested neighborhoods putting himself in the line of danger protecting people that could not stand up to crimes and criminal behavior. He has been shot at, attempted to be stabbed and faced gangs of overwhelming odds standing up to the task at hand. How many of you return your life’s passion in the quest of Martial Arts excellence to the very community you live in by protecting the innocent and exposing the wrong that seems to perpetuate at times on many talk forums?

I have been asked many times why I do not post on these forums. The main reason is that many have attempted to distort history for the production of there own egos and financial reward while masking their own lack of authenticity while attacking others with negative rhetoric and foul and disrespectful language. Let me be clear here: I endorse and support Sean Kelley and the CKF membership. I have across the board reception of many others from many walks of Martial Paths the respect and genuine humility that these folks (along with those my organization, the UKF) maintain and joyfully exchange, not because they have to but they choose to.

Generations come and go and the future is held in a delicate harmony to manifest Honor, Integrity, and Dignity and temper this path with Humility. One must not compromise beliefs of ethic. Furthermore, morality should be a platform that all of us should be collective in our lifestyles. For the record, there where three First Generation Black Belts that where promoted by SGM Edmund Kealoha Parker (in blessed memory) from white belt to 7th Degree Black Belt. I am the youngest, receiving the Honor of my Black Belt in 1965 at age 18, 7th in 1982, and just celebrating my 50th year in American Kenpo. The other two men are Grandmaster Chuck Sullivan and Grandmaster Dave Hebler.

Having trained and learned from the Man himself for 32 years, I speak from an authentic position in history. Mr. Kelley's certificate is signed and endorsed by two of these individuals, Mr. Hebler and myself. Many can debate lineage and authenticity, but the question is, where you there and did you experience what you would like to attack with hearsay and outright lies and misconceptions?

We should be a collective family with many tributaries feeding this confluence called future. If separation of the ideals and foundations that the Founder of American Kenpo dedicated his life to continues to be expounded on by those that taint history, and disrespect continues towards those that really believe in continuing the generations of American Kenpo, I say step up or get stepped on.

The future is growing in the American Kenpo Alliance, an organization that was formed from the need of harmony, truth and respect and the ideals of each individual’s right to maintain growth, service to our collective communities, open dialogs to innovation and evolution of American Kenpo and the desire to be clear in perspective as well as commitment. Many read these forums and never post, but the influence continues to circulate, and I am concerned, as many should be, that the American Kenpo community will be hamstrung by negativity, unwelcome behavior, silly politics and untruths. I believe that it is time for all to unite with respect for others, continue to do good deed and merit, stand tall and be honest.

With the direction of the American Kenpo Alliance there have been a number of individuals “ousted" because of lies, misconceptions on their identity and false military claims, which is now a federal prosecuted felony. Ed Parker had a saying, "every organization needs an enema now and then.” The handle needs to be activated and we all need to gather up and clean our acts up or get exposed and then flushed.

Thank you for your time!

Michael Robert Pick

Last edited by millhouse23 on October 26th, 2007, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 26th, 2007, 9:12 pm #2

for that post, Mr. Miller...
Strong words from a man with strong views, no doubt...
Take Care, All...

October 26th, 2007, 9:24 pm #3

First, before I post Mr. Pick's letter, I want to inform the KenpoNet readers as to why this was written. There have been a lot of inappropriate posts on the American Kenpo Forum. Although they stem from only a handful of people, there have been some ignorant posts about my instructor Sean Kelley and without stating any names, his newest rank has been questioned. I have been given the responsibility to post this post on behalf of Mr. Pick as this issue must be addressed.

Here is his letter:

Greetings Kenpo world!

I am not one to enter into a fray of disrespect and decayed presentation on internet dialogs that
allow viewers to see men and women challenging one another with immature behavior and conduct, but something important needs attention. I enter this matter through my friend and student Mr. Sean Kelley. I do not need to defend Mr. Kelley, for he is more than capable of defending himself, but I must set the record straight in regards to his rank and status with me.

I promoted Mr. Kelley to 7th Degree Black Belt with the endorsement of GrandMaster Dave Hebler and 8th Degree Black Belt, Mr. Rainer Schulte, in the presence of such notables as Mr. Joe Lewis and Mr. Bill Wallace and a host of others from many Martial Arts organizations. Make no assumptions in regards to Mr. Kelley's devotion to American Kenpo and serving his community. Mr. Kelley for many years has served with the Guardian Angels patrolling in drug and crime infested neighborhoods putting himself in the line of danger protecting people that could not stand up to crimes and criminal behavior. He has been shot at, attempted to be stabbed and faced gangs of overwhelming odds standing up to the task at hand. How many of you return your life’s passion in the quest of Martial Arts excellence to the very community you live in by protecting the innocent and exposing the wrong that seems to perpetuate at times on many talk forums?

I have been asked many times why I do not post on these forums. The main reason is that many have attempted to distort history for the production of there own egos and financial reward while masking their own lack of authenticity while attacking others with negative rhetoric and foul and disrespectful language. Let me be clear here: I endorse and support Sean Kelley and the CKF membership. I have across the board reception of many others from many walks of Martial Paths the respect and genuine humility that these folks (along with those my organization, the UKF) maintain and joyfully exchange, not because they have to but they choose to.

Generations come and go and the future is held in a delicate harmony to manifest Honor, Integrity, and Dignity and temper this path with Humility. One must not compromise beliefs of ethic. Furthermore, morality should be a platform that all of us should be collective in our lifestyles. For the record, there where three First Generation Black Belts that where promoted by SGM Edmund Kealoha Parker (in blessed memory) from white belt to 7th Degree Black Belt. I am the youngest, receiving the Honor of my Black Belt in 1965 at age 18, 7th in 1982, and just celebrating my 50th year in American Kenpo. The other two men are Grandmaster Chuck Sullivan and Grandmaster Dave Hebler.

Having trained and learned from the Man himself for 32 years, I speak from an authentic position in history. Mr. Kelley's certificate is signed and endorsed by two of these individuals, Mr. Hebler and myself. Many can debate lineage and authenticity, but the question is, where you there and did you experience what you would like to attack with hearsay and outright lies and misconceptions?

We should be a collective family with many tributaries feeding this confluence called future. If separation of the ideals and foundations that the Founder of American Kenpo dedicated his life to continues to be expounded on by those that taint history, and disrespect continues towards those that really believe in continuing the generations of American Kenpo, I say step up or get stepped on.

The future is growing in the American Kenpo Alliance, an organization that was formed from the need of harmony, truth and respect and the ideals of each individual’s right to maintain growth, service to our collective communities, open dialogs to innovation and evolution of American Kenpo and the desire to be clear in perspective as well as commitment. Many read these forums and never post, but the influence continues to circulate, and I am concerned, as many should be, that the American Kenpo community will be hamstrung by negativity, unwelcome behavior, silly politics and untruths. I believe that it is time for all to unite with respect for others, continue to do good deed and merit, stand tall and be honest.

With the direction of the American Kenpo Alliance there have been a number of individuals “ousted" because of lies, misconceptions on their identity and false military claims, which is now a federal prosecuted felony. Ed Parker had a saying, "every organization needs an enema now and then.” The handle needs to be activated and we all need to gather up and clean our acts up or get exposed and then flushed.

Thank you for your time!

Michael Robert Pick

Couldn't agree more Mr. Pick, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
GB

October 26th, 2007, 10:37 pm #4

Here is his letter:

Greetings Kenpo world!

Thank you for your time!

Michael Robert Pick

Mike,

I was wondering how long before you initiated something. Someone has to clarify the information. I've been around since Feb 1970 at the Pasadena school. I remember working out with you when I didn't have a clue. I don't get involved in the babbling that goes on. For the most part it's either people puffing themselves up or getting into some mind bobbling exercise on techniques, forms, etc.

Before his passing I worked out with Steve Hearring and since then Steve Aron. Both of these individuals you know. They both told me to ignore these mental exercises that go on

October 26th, 2007, 10:57 pm #5

Here is his letter:

Greetings Kenpo world!

Thank you for your time!

Michael Robert Pick

Thank you sir for taking the time to write this heartfelt and integral letter, there are many who long for the days of the old kenpo alliance under the guidence of Mr. Parker, and are genuinly looking for a return to the values and integrity that have long been missing in the American Kenpo community.

When Seniors such as yourself, who carry weight and credibility, step onto the forum and reveal your presence, it adds a special value. Kenpoists can be unified again in trust, allowing those who matter to dedicate themselves to this fine art without the distraction of negative counter creative and diluting influences.

There is a resposibility of leadership and you are an example to all.

Best in Kenpo,
Brye Cooper

October 26th, 2007, 11:19 pm #6

Here is his letter:

Greetings Kenpo world!

Thank you for your time!

Michael Robert Pick

GRANDMASTER,
YOUR WORDS WERE CHOSEN WELL AND LET ME SAY THAT I STAND WITH YOU 100% AND AGREE WITH YOU 100%. I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN KENPO INTERNATIONAL IS PROUD TO BE IN THE "ALLIANCE" AND WILL SERVE IN ANY CAPACITY NECESSARY TO ACHIEVE THE GOALS YOU HAVE SO STRONGLY STATED IN YOUR POST.
I HAVE GREATLY ENJOYED OUR RECENT CONVERSATIONS AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR CLASS IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE IN NEW ENGLAND.
SINCERELY AND RESPECTFULLY, TONY C

October 27th, 2007, 3:58 am #7

Here is his letter:

Greetings Kenpo world!

Thank you for your time!

Michael Robert Pick

I originally posted this over on the other forum, and am pasting it here as well.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to the missives of internet warriorship. While I understand why so many seniors choose not to play in this sandbox, I also find their absence regrettable, and wish more offered their ideas in this media. To point, I am a little bit bummed that one of the few offerings you decided to make was to address this issue; there are so many technical ideas that contain myriad possibilities of perspective, that I am sure we would all be more edified had your efforts been freed to be placed elsewhere. I, for one, did not care who signed Mr. Kelley's 7th. I expected it would have been either you or Mr. Hebler, and would regard it well signed in either case. My lack of caring is not out of disdain for Mr. Kelley, his work, or his placement, but rather from the simple idea....there are just more important things to worry about in kenpo and in life than the inner workings of a bunch of guys in black pajamas and patches. Us. The kenpo geeks of the universe. The world is still hungry; war still ravages entire regions; superbugs are still brewing in Southeast Asian chickens threatening major world outbreaks; and my credit score still sucks. Whaddya gonna do.

I am what I consider a long-time nobody in kenpo. Meaning, I've been in it a long time, but have achieved no great titles, clout, accomplishments, not summited any Kenpo Kilimanjaro's, etc. I was talking to another long-time nobody the other day about what it would be like if Mr. Parker suddenely emerged from a long vacation and faked passing. How many of the seniors would be called into the office for a talk, and taken to task for their actions in his absence? With yet another, we dialogued about the issue of rank in kenpo. How there are guys wearing 7ths now who have accomplished nowhere near the level of ownership, accomplishment or contribution as many of the original 7ths had in their time with the Old Man. How there are guys wearing 7ths and 8ths who were barely blacks 18 years ago (I compare them to Mr. Perry, and how many years he had been active and contributing in kenpo before choosing to reach for yon dizzy heights, or Mr. White's contribution and presence in sport karate...the number of years he produced champions at the IKC's before being recognized for his efforts, time, and dedication; guys like Dave Hebler and Chuck Sullivan who've been in kenpo since Adam was in the Garden...the list goes on, with Mr.Parker having been rather conservative with the conferrment of higher rank). I see guys who weren't blacks yet wearing 7ths; guys who were 4ths wearing 10ths, and 2nd gens who lateraled to Mr. Parker contending that they should be granted 1st gen positioning on the family tree, for no reason other than they want it that way ... even though there are still people alive who remember that they were not 1st gens. I was ranked as a 4th in one lineage, 5th in another, and 6th in an AK+Japanese jujutsu eclectic system 18 years ago; I am that still, and wear whichever rank I feel up to defending at that particular moment (kinda beat up and permanently partially disabled...good days and bad days, don'tcha know, and can't get started without pain meds and a pot of coffee). I have not made the contributions that warrant promotion; none of the men from whom I would accept rank have offered; and I ain't gonna pop around asking. There are plenty of good men and women with better understandings and skills than I have who can pass on the system more completely than I, so I will leave the pursuit of red and the passing of legacy to them. As a full-time studio owner, Mr. Kelley is better positioned to touch more lives and turn more stones in the search for tomorrows kenpoka in the south-east; do us all a favor as his chosen leader, and learn him well. (And see if you can sway him to take a typing course while you're at it...Lord knows he won't do it on our account).

I will, in my own way, endeavor to entice inner wisdom from it's hiding place in my students, using martial arts instruction as the vehicle for exploration of the Self. Should they so choose. (and that's the key here). I have a personal relationship to my martial arts, and in the context of that relationship, I use training as a reflective time for personal & character development. The saying, "The heart of the warrior is forged in the fires of repetition" is etched on the inside of my eyelids. I kenpo-think while awake; I lull myself to sleep analyzing motion mechanics as they apply to kenpo; I'm basically a high-functioning obsessive lunatic, and happy that way. I, too, have been shot at and sliced and beaten in my commitment to stand up for those who can not or will not stand up for themselves, and I take great personal pride in that. But a huge difference I percieve between Mr. Kelley and myself is I do not expect my students or associates to adopt the same personal credo or eccentricities that I connect to the martial arts. Some choose to refine their souls through prayer in church rather than on the mat or in the mind, or to dedicate the depths of their souls to raising better young men and women -- their children, and the disenfranchised children of others. Still others opt for entirely personal paths of self-development which I have never known, because they choose to keep them private and seperate from their kenpo. And from me, their kenpo instructor. Sole and seperate issues.

In short, I find myself of mixed mind when I read the "higher road" postings of Mr.Kelley and Mr. Miller. Not because I have anything against them: In fact, when I met Mr. Kelly in February, I found him to be an engaging and verbally adroit conversationalist. He just can't type or write worth a damn. On one hand, I'm pleased to see someone is endeavoring to hold up a higher standard for people in general to aspire to: Talk to women in geriatric warehouses, and ask them about men who open doors, and children who say "excuse me", "please", and "thank you". We are in a generation without a clue as to what it looks like to be in service to something higher than ones self. And any effort to hold up a representation of what that might look like to young minds should be applauded. On the other hand, kenpo is kenpo. Not religion. And I have a hard time reconciling "higher standards" in kenpo to the simple ideas of freedom of speech and action in life, in general. It seems to me to be a boundary violation, with kenpo instructors as the perps, to demand some set of higher-order compliance from kenpo students. A "Judge not" sort of thing.

Honor, Integrity, Dignity, and Humility are outstanding ideals to aspire to in life. I've been an ongoing antagonist of Mr. Kelley's, because his posts often lack these, even while proposing them or claiming to reflect them. Like someone who cannot enunciate without an accent because of where they are really from, but are unable to detect the accent in their own speech, invisible to them as water is to a fish. But you are correct: We should be a collective family. And, as another dubious member of the kenpo community pointed out, families do not always get along. Some of the most vociferous and passionate arguments of my life have been with family. Some of the people I love to see on the holidays -- and want to bury over the holidays -- are family. I would offer that we are, in fact, a family EVEN THOUGH we do not all get along. Some Uncles and cousins I dig, and some just don't float my boat. So we gravitate towards the family members we resonate best with. Here, on AKF and a couple other forums, I've managed to "meet" a few that I would enjoy sharing a bottle of wine with, and some I'd rather not. Just like family. You'll never see or hear of me wanting to join the Alliance; not because of elitest opinions of myself, but rather because I enjoy the obscurity of the shadows. I'm comfy on the fringe, & prefer life under the radar for my own obtuse reasons. I embrace that idea of not wanting to belong to a club that would have me as a member. And should I have a student who needs more than I can offer, I will gladly refer them to someone who is better able to take them to the next level.

I will continue to teach kenpo to the best of my ability, and to improve my own kenpo through ongoing education, evaluation, and consideration. Such as I may. But, I will leave the jockeying for position to others with a more vested interest in the outcome. Unfortunately, politics, bickering, and tribalism was part of kenpo before Mr. Parker left us, and will be well after the rest of us have moved on in our own time. Thank you for your input, and hopefully we will be able to benefit from your technical insights on this forum one day soon.

Best Regards,

David W. Crouch, DC
Last edited by DrDaveDC on October 27th, 2007, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2007, 1:22 pm #8

I'm not sure if this was a compliment or a complaint but I too remember meeting you at the Chow Gathering and if there comes a next time why not dress up and join in instead of
being a side referee?
Sir, I again was never much of a good writer or a spell check genius but I do enjoy the many friends of Kenpo that I have met over the years and on that trip in February it was an honor to meet those of different Kenpo branches.
I will say your paragraph was well thought out but you did mess up on my last name as it is spelt "Kelley" not "Kelly" and you see we all make mistakes from time to time.
Mr.Pick wrote his letter as he took it upon himself to write it as he was a bit fed up with all the comments said about me or in regards to my rank given by him.
The notes of comparison you mention about Bob Perry are your own. My Journey has been my own accomplishments and not to compare with others or to compete with.
To compare me with the "Old Guys" is not needed as they are all great Legends in their time. I am of a different era and believe that my contributions to the art of American Kenpo have been a positive thing over the years.
I thank you for the dialogue given and I hope we have a second chance to come together
for mutual reasons other than to debate our views on topics like this.
In closing my journey of trying to reach out to bring many back together has come to a dead end, I will be having my annual 2008 Florida Kenpo Camp with a great line up of guest instructors but the time has come to slow down. I will let someone else afford the cost and energy to put such an event together
for it has been more of a dissapointment than a joy as of recent.
My energy will be focused now with my family and with those who appreciate what
I have to offer as an Instructor. May your Journey be pleasant.........TCB
Sean Kelley

October 27th, 2007, 3:32 pm #9

Your upcoming camp has many excellent kenpoists under one roof, on purpose for a good thing. These can be taxing to produce, but represent what if fine about kenpo extended family: Come together, shut up, train hard, and meet the other people.

Hopefully providence will allow you the energy and resources for both, after a respite.

And the paragraph was meant as a compliment, and the typing obs as a humorous take on an obvious thing.

Be good,

D.

October 27th, 2007, 4:05 pm #10

Here is his letter:

Greetings Kenpo world!

Thank you for your time!

Michael Robert Pick

He dosen't need me to defend him either, but.

I've met Mr. Kelley a few times since the early 90's at early WKKA events and some seminars and he is not only an man of respect outside the norm but a long time dedicated MA.

I tend to notice that he responds to crticism with respect.

I'm not a CKF member or a student of his but I thought it would be appropriate to say a few nice things about a nice man.

Everytime he calls for Mr. Nackord he's very respectful and doesn't neglect to ask me how I'm doing. When Mr. Nackord went to a CKF event to teach a seminar he was treated with great respect and in some ways more than any other camp he's taught at. And he invites those that criticize him to come to the camp for free.

I have no right to comment on his rank, his rank is between him and Master Pick.

But I have seen his time in the art and his knowledge and I cannot understand what the question is.

I don't claim to know the whole story but it just seems unfair to constantly criticize the man.

Respect to all.