Krav Maga

Krav Maga

January 2nd, 2009, 8:54 pm #1

I watched some Krav Maga on a video the other day. Never seen it in person but figure that on an instructional video by one of the guys that invented it I'm probably getting a fair representation of the system. What I saw was fast, simple and looked effective - and our hero never left an opponent standing. That's the good and all those make it an "art" you could learn quickly.

However, there was enough bad to go around too. My biggest critiques were:

Lots of open lines of entry. In many cases our hero left himself open on at least one line of entry, most frequently a groin kick, sweep, shot to the knee, etc.

Tunnel vision - apparently the bad guy can only do one thing at once. Those that think kenpoists practice against an opponent with a "dead hand" would have a field day with this. Frequently, when disarming an attacker, he totally disregarded the other hand.

Many of the moves seem to be "power" moves and not something I should bother to train my daughter on until she can bench 200lbs or so. In this, it's a little like Bas' stuff. I can use it but won't try teaching it to little guys.

No base. Our hero almost never established a base. Perhaps that goes hand in hand with the power aspect of it - if you have enough power, you can cheat on your base, I guess.

Frequently, I'll see something in a video of another art that I can incorporate into my kenpo or I'll see something that allows me to re-think my emphasis on a particular tech or situation. What I saw of Krav Maga that's good is already in Kenpo - I found nothing to provoke me to change anything about the way I do business. Nada. Nyet. Nil.

Anyone else with better exposure?

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

January 3rd, 2009, 1:06 am #2

Very well written critique. That's about what I get from Krav Maga also. I can appreciate your disappointment with what you where seemingly looking for a little something out of. It's hard sometimes to find anything substantial in other systems teachings. All to often what you will get is a tiny little something that you can use but only until you recognize it in the Kenpo system and then you realize that you had it, just didn't know it...

January 3rd, 2009, 1:32 am #3

My critique would be pretty similar. I trained at a Krav school for about a month. My brother and I both jokingly referred to it as "sloppy Kenpo" although that is obviously over simplified.

In defense of the system, it helps to understand their mindset. The instructor at the school I went to was pretty open to conversation. I pointed out some of the areas where their mechanics were a little sloppy. His response "you misunderstand the purpose and origin of the system". Fair enough

His point was basically this; The system is taught to military personnel who have little time to learn a complex system. Refined mechanics take a lot of time to internalize, and turn into nueromuscular memory. We want simple effective techniques that rely only on gross motor skills, no fine motor skills.

Anyways, you nailed the things that were wrong with it. Here are a couple of the things I liked;

The emphasis was on spontaneous response and speed of action. They drilled unknown attacks at unknown times and trained their students to react with absolute aggression. This was done in every class, at full speed (they make heavy use of gear to allow for this level of aggression and spontaneity).

Knife and Gun disarms. I have seen some knife and gun disarms in some Kenpo schools that look good in theory, but show a genuine lack of understand about the basic mechanics and functionality of a knife and gun. Disarms probably ought not to be developed/taught by people who haven't spent much time shooting etc. Krav disarms reflected some real knowledge regarding both ends of each weapon.

January 3rd, 2009, 4:50 am #4

I definitely agree about their gun and knife disarms. I think the word I would use to describe them is "decisive." If you're going to take a weapon away from a determined attacker you have to be decisive.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com