Kenpo Weapons

Kenpo Weapons

October 22nd, 2009, 5:56 am #1

Are there any quality American Kenpo Weapons (knife & club) Dvd's? Seminars in the midwest? Not interested in FMA. Thanks.

October 22nd, 2009, 10:37 am #2

Zach Whitson's stuff. Available on kenponet mall.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

October 22nd, 2009, 3:46 pm #3

Are there any quality American Kenpo Weapons (knife & club) Dvd's? Seminars in the midwest? Not interested in FMA. Thanks.
Every single person I have ever heard of that gets into knives is heavily influenced by the Filipino Martial Arts.
The only person that I have heard of that does knife work that is not based on the filipino martial arts is Mike Pick, and unfortunately I only had very limited exposure to what he does, maybe an hour and half total of the knife curriculum.. It was pretty cool stuff, but I have not heard of any videos he has out...I would probably check it out though, I really enjoyed it.

My question to you though, is why avoid the filipino martial arts? It seems alot of High ranking Kenpo instructors have learned and like the filipino martial arts take on knife work, I have never been exposed to it directly, but have an interest, just no time with everything else at this point.

October 22nd, 2009, 5:20 pm #4

Kali has a lot of Kenpo mentality, Inosanto is BB in Kenpo (reason). So did Larry Hartsell's stuff, Kenpo man.

It is good, if some say knife and sword it comes from FMA to be honest. Unless you are talking the Japanese and then you have to go to "Musashi two sword" stuff...

Dog Brothers might be a good one for you. They are hooked to Kali/Silat/Largo Mano, Inosanto.

Kajukenbo has some who do the sword/knife/baton...Kenpo Karate, with a lot of mix...Be one you might like.

Regards,
Gary

October 22nd, 2009, 5:26 pm #5

Drop me an e-mail. I may be able to help you out.

October 22nd, 2009, 6:12 pm #6

Please know that there are many valuable avenues to learn the applications of weapons. Regardless of which Martial Art you choose, I do hope you enjoy your experience. With that written, Kenpo has specific methods of execution and motives for design of strategies. Below are some ideas regarding your inquiry...

Kenpo Knife work:
Mike Pick was Mr. Parker's primary knife student. There are no videos regarding his understanding of the knife and you will need to go to him personally or train with one of his private students. Mr. Pick is very good at doing and teaching.
There are some that teach the Knife Set (some like to call it Form 8, but it is not...I have been exposed to both). Larry Tatum and Mohammad Tabatabai have videos teaching this set and both gentlemen are very good at doing and teaching.

Kenpo Nunchaku work:
There is a Nunchaku Set and Nunchaku techniques. Bryan Hawkins knows the latest versions of both the techniques and the set taught by Mr. Parker. Bryan Hawkins is very good and doing and teaching.
Larry Tatum and Richard "Huk" Planas were also taught Nunchaku applications by Mr. Parker and either of these two might have videos (Mr. Planas is also very good at doing and teaching).

Kenpo Staff work:
There is a Staff Set that many know. I also believe many sell videos on this.

Kenpo Stick work:
There is a Club Set and Form 7. Bryan Hawkins knows the latest version of both, but no videos. Larry Tatum and Mohamad Tabatabai have videos teaching Form 7, and quite possibly the set.

Hope this helps,
WI, AP
UKS

October 22nd, 2009, 7:32 pm #7

...in my view is Mr. Pick. When it comes to Kenpo he is the one to go to when it comes to knife. No question. Look for his seminars. He has no DVD's and is not interested in filming them. As for FMA I think they are fine, but I would go with Mr. Pick's stuff ahead of any of that. Just my opinion having been exposed to both. In my opinion, he and his students are the best Kenpoists I have ever seen and worked with.

Michael Miller
Last edited by millhouse23 on October 22nd, 2009, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 22nd, 2009, 8:24 pm #8

Now I'm curious. Have you worked with FMA at all. Does Mr. Pick's stuff, which I am sure is very good, not have any elements of FMA either in style or content? Where does it come from? Out of his head, adapted straight from kenpo or something else?

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

Last edited by SCChuck on October 22nd, 2009, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 22nd, 2009, 8:34 pm #9

...in my view is Mr. Pick. When it comes to Kenpo he is the one to go to when it comes to knife. No question. Look for his seminars. He has no DVD's and is not interested in filming them. As for FMA I think they are fine, but I would go with Mr. Pick's stuff ahead of any of that. Just my opinion having been exposed to both. In my opinion, he and his students are the best Kenpoists I have ever seen and worked with.

Michael Miller
I would look into Sayoc Kali for knife work and Insanto-Lacoste Kali for both stick and knife. Both blend very well with Kenpo.

October 22nd, 2009, 9:34 pm #10

Out of curiosity, what do you have against the FMAs? Many arts contain weapon use and defense, but IMHO, if you really want to be the best at it, you need to go to a weapon based art. I train in Kenpo, so I dont want you to think that I'm anti-Kenpo...thats not the case at all. I'm simply saying that Kenpo does not focus just on the blade or stick, whereas the FMAs do. Arnis, Kali, Sayoc...all weapon based arts. Sure, they do have empty hand stuff as well, which I will say is very effective, but again, I don't consider Kenpo a weapon based art.

I have never worked with Mike Pick, but I have heard very good things about him, so if you do have a chance to attend a seminar with him, go for it. Of course, if you're looking to really get good with the weapons, its goig to take more than a few seminars, books, tapes or dvd.

Mike