8:58 PM - Jul 21, 2009 #21

SL4 has come under quite a bit of ridicule in the past and I'm sure you're tired of defending your art.

Cliff Seminerio
www.youtube.com/casadekenpo

9:04 PM - Jul 21, 2009 #22

Just seeing if we were on the same page. The net is not the best place to communicate clearly so sometimes intent can be lost in the text. (Like your first post).
Keep posting your videos. Very cool.

1:40 AM - Jul 22, 2009 #23

Grafting has always been an entertaining mental exercise in position recognition for me, but in terms of "where do I put my training time with only a few hours a week to play?", I'd rather work my basics for targeting and power, derived from directional harmony and body mechanics.

In other words, I have 2 hours on the mat tonight. I COULD spend them looking at ways of grafting the beginning 5 Swords onto the ending of Gathering Clouds, having found myself there by an intentional manipulation of the attacker, or by an unintentional stumble by them in response to my initial counter.

OR!!!

I can spend those same two hours working the inward block hammering action on heavy bag, makiwara, and partner drills; followed by throwing a couple hundred handswords at BOB, a heavy bag, moving focus mitt, and in drills with a partner, aiming to accomplish an inward block that breaks his arm, and an outward handsword that knocks him the heck out.

This "basics" option is my training preference, based on my experience in fighting as a bouncer. It occurred to me (while getting punched from 3 different directions one night as I had a guy in a chokehold waiting for him to fade to black) that the faster I end the issue -- with as much finality and authority as I can muster -- the better. In the time it takes to be monkeying around with adapting a technique string to a change in position, their friends can do something..I can miss...slip on a spilled drink or banana peel from the mayhem...all sorts of things can go wrong: And the longer I take to put him down, the more room there is for chaos to interject a variable I haven't controlled for.

In a perfect world, I would have ample time to do both. But it's not a perfect world; I have to choose. So...which would you prefer to work on, and why?

D.
C'mon Dave, you're really overthinking this.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 viahttp://webwarper.net This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.
Try:http://webwarper.net/webwarper.exe Example of viewing:http://webwarper.net/ww/www.network54.c ... 60433/post ]

8:49 AM - Jul 22, 2009 #24

I keep going back to reciting my ABC's, because I'm so far from as good as my private hall-of-famers, and I wannabe. I want to be able to punch someone in the head as hard as Mas Oyama, or chop them under the ear with as much speed, power, and authority on an obscure plane angle as Mr. P., or make a train go "bonngggg....bonnngggg...bonngggg" by punching and kicking the iron hitch on the backside of it, or... you get it. And the only way I know of that these guys got to that place is by repetition. It's that old saying, "The skills of the warrior are forged in the fires of repetition".

How-evah!!! (said in my best Senator K.K. Kaumanua/Kent Bowman voice)... I also think part of the brilliance of the kenpo system is in the ability to sophisticate basics, compacting and collapsing more information (read "hits") into smaller spaces and increments of time. Revisitation of the ABC's won't help with that so much. I'm interested in what you consider to be advanced applications of the basics.

D.
Don't get me wrong, I believe in basics and a strong foundation........but if you don't build upon that foundation, then you have to define what it's purpose truly is or it's potential gets lost over time.
I no longer practice blocks.....everything I do is a strike, but that is just my perspective and the cause of my effect.

I could do thousands of repetitions of a particular strike and think I am effective, or when pressed for time I could investigate medical applications, angles of attack and formulate a strategy that I could implement the next time that I have time to practice.

I did hours and hours of hitting the Makiwara board over the years, More of a stress relief than anything and highly recommend this to anyone that want's to let off some steam...... but if I had not spent some time to investigate the proper use of it, I would not have known to make sure I struck the board with force, repetitively, making sure the pad was beneath the level of my heart or I was risking a heart attack or stroke.

I could work on my "Solid" stances but not sure how that would make my kenpo "Gaseous" like Mr. Parker wanted. I believe in being mobile and practice that way.

I could spend the time going over basic stances and strikes making them perfect, getting the most power I could from endless body alignment and adjustments, using tork, marriage of gravity and so on....or I could spend a little time to investigate and understand that 80-90% of the force generated comes from my opponent, then applying the result in my own personal game plan.

I could spend the time learning by teaching, or learning by being taught, or the ultimate way to learn, having the ability to self teach.

An Artist needs to know how to be creative, a Lawyer needs to know the Law, a Doctor needs to know and understand medicine and a Martial Artist needs to do what,know how to punch and kick or a combination of all the other areas? If you agree, then how much time is spent on these areas? I envy those with medical knowledge.

Do you practice your techniques with proper breathing and focus? What happens when you can't breath because someone placed a hand over your nose and mouth or you have been pepper sprayed and have to fight holding your breath, your vision is interrupted by the effects. I punch a heavy bag holding my breath, closing my eyes and wearing a Gas Mask...great way to find out if you are claustrophobic.

I like to take a particular natural weapon like an elbow and move around a person and deliver it from all angles, heights and widths and determine it's strengths and weaknesses, what openings are created then what other weapon would work in that situation....I then come up with my own mini prefixes and suffixes that I can use to manipulate an opponent to create an opening so I can pull off a particular technique of my choosing....not just responding to their attack, letting them take the lead.

When I find myself with limited time, I focus more on what I don't know, than what I think I do know!!!

Just a few of the things I do and believe in.

Rich
Last edited by knpo22 on 8:52 AM - Jul 22, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

4:07 PM - Jul 22, 2009 #25

Just seeing if we were on the same page. The net is not the best place to communicate clearly so sometimes intent can be lost in the text. (Like your first post).
Keep posting your videos. Very cool.
All seem to enjoy putting down others and many have been in the barrel at times...Cliff, are you going to go to the seminar Dr. Dave is putting on, that would be a good one to go to, lots or your peers will be there. Of course I doubt, LT will go.

Regards,
Gary

4:13 PM - Jul 22, 2009 #26

I've been thinking about going and I think I can work it out to do so. It looks like an awesome event. Of course, you'll have to pull me away from the wineries....

Cliff Seminerio

4:32 PM - Jul 22, 2009 #27

Gary

5:29 PM - Jul 22, 2009 #28

I've been thinking about going and I think I can work it out to do so. It looks like an awesome event. Of course, you'll have to pull me away from the wineries....

Cliff Seminerio
Heck...I'm trying to get a line-up goin!

6:08 PM - Jul 22, 2009 #29

:P

Cliff Seminerio

6:21 PM - Jul 22, 2009 #30

I'll be there. Should be a blast hanging with all these great people.
-b