Kenpo Rank question

Kenpo Rank question

January 25th, 2009, 8:36 pm #1

I'm starting kenpo tomorrow,I was wondering besides Yellow Belt, how long does it take to go through the levels to Black 1st. I do have M.A. experience. I have a Black 1st in TKD. I'm not sure if this question had been asked before, if it has then I'm sorry for asking. I just wanted to know a time table. I was thinking 30-36 months, Is this about how long it takes for most people?

Thanks.......

January 25th, 2009, 9:12 pm #2

hello Mr .Parker looked at it in hours 360 hours to black all the best thomas m arensberg

January 25th, 2009, 10:54 pm #3

I'm starting kenpo tomorrow,I was wondering besides Yellow Belt, how long does it take to go through the levels to Black 1st. I do have M.A. experience. I have a Black 1st in TKD. I'm not sure if this question had been asked before, if it has then I'm sorry for asking. I just wanted to know a time table. I was thinking 30-36 months, Is this about how long it takes for most people?

Thanks.......
I had a student that had just received his black belt in TKD, switched to Kenpo and he earned his yellow, orange and purple all in about 6 months. Then he quit. That's what the average person does. They learn some and then they quit. Most leave around blue or green when they realize how much is required to earn a BB. After all, anything past purple is just showing off.

With a martial arts background, you should be able to learn the mechanics of Kenpo motion more quickly than those without. The first few belts are more focused on the mechanical and that's where it should help you the most. As you go up in rank, you should expect that rate of progress to slow down. By the time you are a blue or green, you should expect to progress at about the same speed as others in your studio (that put in the same effort). By then, they have the mechanics of motion down, too.

If your goal is to be a Kenpo black belt, there are video courses you can take and get one much quicker or even skip the learning part and just order a certificate. There are plenty out there for a reasonable price. However, if you're trying to learn the art, I mean really learn it, then forget about the color of your belt.

I met a nine-year old TKD black belt the other day. He had quit a year ago meaning he had earned that TKD BB by the age of 8. What was his black belt worth? My TKD student said his Kenpo purple belt was worth more to him than his TKD black belt. You should be able to earn a purple belt in Kenpo in less than a year. Ask the question again after you have your purple. (Chances are, by the time you earn your purple, the question will have become irrelevant to you).

I know a couple of guys that earned their BBs in under four years. They were both true athletes, HS football stars that worked very hard at the art. When the studio was open, they were there. They are the exceptions. They were both tournament champions, too. Mr. White knows how much effort Dave Brock and Mark Lennon put in. Mr. Hawkins earned his quickly. He is an exception. Anyone who earns their Kenpo BB in under 5 years is moving pretty quickly, IMHO. Anyone who takes more than 10 is goofing off too much.

I started in 1972. Earned my BB in 2006. Draw your own conclusions. ha

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

January 25th, 2009, 11:32 pm #4

Thanks for the info. I also got my BB in TKD fast, but I also had a key to the School. I use to clean up the place for free in exchange for free lessons. So I would train by myself in the mornings then go to 2 classes a night for 5 nights a week. I had to quit the School because the Master relocated back to Korea. I'm a very dedicated person to Martial Arts.

It's my lifestyle. I do Intend to get my Black belt in Kenpo and beyond. I was just curious how long it took to get a BB in Kenpo that's all. After my School closed I train for a couple years by myself, training twice a day 5-6 days a week, mostly 7 days a week. Mornings are dedicated to forms, self-defense, and basics. Afternoons is my kicking routine, I throw 1,000 kicks per training session. I'm an above average student in M.A. When everybody else is drinking alcohol, or doing drugs I'm training my a** off. (People have told me to get a life) But Martial Arts is my life. The only time I don't train is when I'm sick. But I also trained in JKD, and FMA.

I know what you mean by people quitting, Ive seen that many times, and it made me wanted to train more, so I dont become one of those people. When Im not in Kenpo class you can bet youre a** that I will be training at home. Ill be training in the Mornings by myself then at class in the Afternoons. Im not one of those people who has to have someone or something to motivate me to train. Now in 6 months Ill write to you to let you know of my progress and my dedication, and my goals..

January 26th, 2009, 2:32 am #5

I think once you really get into Kenpo you'll discover so much to it - you'll wonder why you hadn't learned this or that or the other before. Having learned one art pretty well and then realizing there is a whole new world waiting to discover is a great place to be. From what you've said, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't give the 4 years to BB a run for the money. There's more than one guy on this forum that has come from another art and they can probably give good advice. James Hawkins used to post here but I think he's on another forum now - he can probably give some good advice as well.

Chuck Peterson

January 26th, 2009, 2:41 am #6

Thanks.......
ya haven't even step foot on the floor yet and your talkin' about WHEN this and WHEN that. if its belts, trophies, and trinkets you want, better off going to the amusement park and throwing balls at cans. if its martial arts you want, just train... or at least begin.

pete

January 26th, 2009, 2:44 am #7

I think once you really get into Kenpo you'll discover so much to it - you'll wonder why you hadn't learned this or that or the other before. Having learned one art pretty well and then realizing there is a whole new world waiting to discover is a great place to be. From what you've said, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't give the 4 years to BB a run for the money. There's more than one guy on this forum that has come from another art and they can probably give good advice. James Hawkins used to post here but I think he's on another forum now - he can probably give some good advice as well.

Chuck Peterson
I started kenpo in 1992 and received my black in 2000. I then received my second in 2008 and that was after a lot of work. I know it can be done quicker but 36 months haha

January 26th, 2009, 3:17 am #8

ya haven't even step foot on the floor yet and your talkin' about WHEN this and WHEN that. if its belts, trophies, and trinkets you want, better off going to the amusement park and throwing balls at cans. if its martial arts you want, just train... or at least begin.

pete
You're absolutely right. You're actually one of the people I've trained that have taught me a thing or two LOL.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 via http://webwarper.net This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.
Try: http://webwarper.net/webwarper.exe Example of viewing: http://webwarper.net/ww/www.network54.c ... 60433/post ]

January 26th, 2009, 4:02 am #9

I had a student that had just received his black belt in TKD, switched to Kenpo and he earned his yellow, orange and purple all in about 6 months. Then he quit. That's what the average person does. They learn some and then they quit. Most leave around blue or green when they realize how much is required to earn a BB. After all, anything past purple is just showing off.

With a martial arts background, you should be able to learn the mechanics of Kenpo motion more quickly than those without. The first few belts are more focused on the mechanical and that's where it should help you the most. As you go up in rank, you should expect that rate of progress to slow down. By the time you are a blue or green, you should expect to progress at about the same speed as others in your studio (that put in the same effort). By then, they have the mechanics of motion down, too.

If your goal is to be a Kenpo black belt, there are video courses you can take and get one much quicker or even skip the learning part and just order a certificate. There are plenty out there for a reasonable price. However, if you're trying to learn the art, I mean really learn it, then forget about the color of your belt.

I met a nine-year old TKD black belt the other day. He had quit a year ago meaning he had earned that TKD BB by the age of 8. What was his black belt worth? My TKD student said his Kenpo purple belt was worth more to him than his TKD black belt. You should be able to earn a purple belt in Kenpo in less than a year. Ask the question again after you have your purple. (Chances are, by the time you earn your purple, the question will have become irrelevant to you).

I know a couple of guys that earned their BBs in under four years. They were both true athletes, HS football stars that worked very hard at the art. When the studio was open, they were there. They are the exceptions. They were both tournament champions, too. Mr. White knows how much effort Dave Brock and Mark Lennon put in. Mr. Hawkins earned his quickly. He is an exception. Anyone who earns their Kenpo BB in under 5 years is moving pretty quickly, IMHO. Anyone who takes more than 10 is goofing off too much.

I started in 1972. Earned my BB in 2006. Draw your own conclusions. ha

Chuck Peterson
I have an orange belt student that is/has been, as you say goofing off, having been orange for, well let's just say it's longer than I care to remember... His choice, I really wonder why he even comes back, or comes to class at all... good post, the reality of the answer is this, it will be at your speed and in your time. Although there are time requirements in some schools, it's mostly an individual thing. Well for my students anyway.
Good luck with your Kenpo journey.
Todd

January 26th, 2009, 4:31 am #10

I started kenpo in 1992 and received my black in 2000. I then received my second in 2008 and that was after a lot of work. I know it can be done quicker but 36 months haha
It depends on the amount of time a person puts into the training.
Unrealistic? Sure.
People learn at different speeds.
What if this guy has unlimited money for privates, and unlimited time to train.
Ed Parker is credited with giving a timeframe of 350 or so hours... lets say 500 hours to get black belt.
A person could put that time in over a couple years.
Just because you did it at your pace, does not mean everyone has to do it at that pace.
The problem is when people think they can do it in 3 years training a couple hours a week..