Kenpo Ohana a Success!

Kenpo Ohana a Success!

September 25th, 2011, 6:39 am #1

This years' Kenpo Ohana is a great success, we where able to raise over $360 for our charities after covering the expenses for the Ohana! I am so thankful for all those who came out to support us in our effort to affect peoples lives!

Thank You!

September 25th, 2011, 12:10 pm #2

It was a fine event. Congratulations. My wife Barbara and I are very much interested in helping out again next year in whatever capacity you request. There is no doubt in our minds that your event will continue to grow and continue to help children that need help. The line up of instructors you put together was very good and you have laid the foundation for a great annual event.
Respectfully,
Bob White

September 25th, 2011, 6:28 pm #3

This years' Kenpo Ohana is a great success, we where able to raise over $360 for our charities after covering the expenses for the Ohana! I am so thankful for all those who came out to support us in our effort to affect peoples lives!

Thank You!
The two sad parts of these Ohanas for me is 1) when they are over, and 2) that they don't raise more funds, because the causes are so worthy of the time, attention, and resources. I know I have felt that the kids in the RFKC and the residents in the battered womens shelters deserved thousands, and we only delivered them hundreds, But even oceans fill one drop at a time, and every contribution that can be made to any of these excellent causes is to be lauded, appreciated, and regarded in a cloud of gratitude.

Thank you, Chris, for taking a lead in the movement of purposeful action, in faith, towards the Good. I have always believed that ours are the hands the Heavens have to work with, and it is only through our actions and commitments that a greater good is to be realized. That awesome quote that gets bandied about so many martial arts and gun fan sites, "The only thing necessary for evil men to succeed, is for good men to do nothing.". You acted, and well.

I absolutely loved it when Mr. White found a way to take a bunch of hairy pugilists, and unite them around a good cause. I am not a very talented tournament player or participant, and so looked for a different way to engage in effectively the sam ting. It was, IIRC, Mr. LaBounty who floated the idea of an Ohana/Camp to bring in the resources and attention of those not as tournamently inclined. We were originally thinking about just having a smoker with some hot-dog sales in the parking lot, but started getting better quality responses and professors willing to come out and play. And our first Ohana was born. Many of them only really made it because of Mr. Whites inspiration and participation; other kenpo OG's would come along at his suggestion, schools would come in from far reaches to sit in on their seminars, and monies would be raised to support worthy causes. We never had huge checks to write, but as Erik said in his opening speech yesterday, everybody's contribution counts, and if we can help even one kid, it was worthy. And whom among this kenpo community would stand by and witness a crime in action against an child, and not step in to intervene?

It was an awesome event, Chris. And if I haven't managed to excommunicate myself from it, I would love to help out in future Ohanas, in any way. Including staying behind to sweep up the floors and take out the trash -- the greatest service is often in the most humble places.

I had a great time teaching; a great time learning Mr. Coles break stance approach to maneuvering within the techniques and forms, and a blast getting beaten up by Mrs. Whites young women: One of your students, Chris, took the air right out of me, WITH the body shield and WITH me exhaling with the contact. GREAT SHOT!!!

I didn't get to see as much of some old friends and new friends as I like -- now I gotta go to the batcave to catch up with Doc, and will hopefully hang with Mr. Durgan before he splits up north. But all in all, it was a great day for a greater cause. Good on ya, Chris and Erik. And thank you.

Rotary has that simple saying: Service before self. You both embodied it brilliantly.

Thanks again,

D.

September 26th, 2011, 4:50 pm #4

Thank You!
The Kenpo Ohana was a fun time. I got to see old friends and the instruction was first class. The list of people that volunteered their time to support these worthy causes was impressive to say the least.

Chris and Erik did a wonderful job of organizing and keeping things on time.

It was a lot of fun to see some folks that I havent seen in years. Special thanks to Todd Durgan who flew in from Seattle just for the weekend. I hadnt seen Todd in many years and it was great to spend a few minutes catching up. I also got to see Jeff K, Dave Thompson, Robert Temple, Manny Martinez, Clark, Rich Hale, The Dyes, Ryan Angell, Amy Long and many others.

I took classes from Donnie Williams and Ron Chapel. Both were fun and educational, and we got to help raise funds for those who are in need.

Chris and Erik have certainly laid the foundation for next year and I look forward to seeing this event grow.

Thanks guys!

For the kids,
Vishal

September 26th, 2011, 7:54 pm #5

Thank You!
What a tremendous day it was! We can get caught up in the numbers, but I think that defeats the purpose. We had an amazing line up of instructors who came together and gave top quality presentations. We had a great group of participants, some traveling from as far as Japan and other states, and I was able to meet and greet all of them. We had a fantastic group of volunteers making sure the day ran smoothly. And we all did it to support those far less fortunate than us.

But the work is still not done! We have video of every presentation and will be cutting the DVDs together. Those of you who pre-ordered, we have your address, so we'll get those out to you as soon as we can.

Those of you wanting to order one, or the entire set, I will post when they're ready and what to do to get your copy. There is 40+ hours of video to sift through (we ran multiple cameras and angles per presentation), and this will be a "labor of love" for the video editor (and the guy I had lined up bailed on me, so I am having to find another), so your patience is appreciated. But heck, even I'm looking forward to getting my copy like a kid at Christmas.

Thank you again to all who helped and supported this event. Pastor Chris and I did not have any other reasoning behind all the work for this other than to do something good, something worthwhile, something bigger than ourselves that has the potential to carry on for future generations. Mission accomplished.

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa

September 29th, 2011, 1:36 pm #6

Thank You!
Congrats guys and I hope to see you all in Canada Fall of 2012.