Kenpo Historians

Kenpo Historians

November 12th, 2008, 7:18 am #1

I was surfing the net an came across this link http://www.ussd.com/a/LINEAGE/PROFESSOR ... fault.aspx and on it they claim that Mr. Parker in the early 80's gave this gentleman a 9th Degree Black Belt. Now from my understanding I thought Mr. Parker didn't award degree above 7th and if he did wouldn't Mr.Ibrao (sp) or Mr. Sullivan be the ones that would have received it? Please if some one has the answer to this question please respon.

It's funny cause this group has over 180 schools in 15 states, almost like what I heard someone on here call a McDojo.

November 12th, 2008, 1:17 pm #2

"Throughout this time, Professor Cerio continued his long relationship with Master Parker. It was throughout these years that Master Parker advised and coached Professor Cerio on how to establish and organize his system of Kenpo. A journey that started in 1968 with Professor Chow's urging came to reality in 1974 with Master Parker's guidance. In 1974, Professor Cerio officially proclaimed his new system to be called Nick Cerio's Kenpo. Professor Cerio would continuously modify, improve, and perfect his system throughout the rest of his life. His association with Master Parker also continued throughout the 80's. It was in March of 1983 that Master Parker bestowed the honor of Kudan (9th black belt) in 'Kenpo Karate', not American Kenpo as so many people have indicated. Master Parker was recognizing Professor Cerio's ability in the Martial Arts. Having not learned all of the curriculum for American Kenpo, Master Parker recognized Professor Cerio in their mutual art of Kenpo Karate."

The rest: http://www.nickcerioskenpo.com/prof_cer ... graphy.htm

November 12th, 2008, 2:59 pm #3

I was surfing the net an came across this link http://www.ussd.com/a/LINEAGE/PROFESSOR ... fault.aspx and on it they claim that Mr. Parker in the early 80's gave this gentleman a 9th Degree Black Belt. Now from my understanding I thought Mr. Parker didn't award degree above 7th and if he did wouldn't Mr.Ibrao (sp) or Mr. Sullivan be the ones that would have received it? Please if some one has the answer to this question please respon.

It's funny cause this group has over 180 schools in 15 states, almost like what I heard someone on here call a McDojo.
Why would you consider this a McDojo chain? Is it just because having over 180 schools in 15 states sets off a red flag for you as a McDojo? I'm no expert on Mr. Cerio, however, I do believe that his rank certifications and lineage are correct.

November 12th, 2008, 3:55 pm #4

<a href="http://www.ussd.com/a/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx" rel="nofollow"><span class="link">http://www.ussd.com/a/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx>

is what he is referring too.

Nick Cerio might be the real deal, but that doesn't mean this company isn't a Mcdojo paradise.

But This is run by Charles Matteras not Nick Cerio I think.

Have you ever been to one of these places? Its quite amusing.</span></a>
Last edited by LuckyKBoxer on November 12th, 2008, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 12th, 2008, 4:20 pm #5

Thanks for the info and links. No, I have never been to one of these studios. I can see where you guys are coming from though as it does appear to be very commercialized.

Ron

November 12th, 2008, 4:45 pm #6

I'm sure Nick Cerio was a tough guy, see old YT footage, or Pesare's Kempo History DVD it is obvious.

But he gave Christopher Geary a shodan in "American Kenpo" based on video footage alone.

And later when Geary's first BB Tom Scott left Geary to start his own school, the Cerio guys (Prof Cerio was passed away by then) gave Scott some rank and let him use their name having never trained under anyone in their system. But it's just business

November 12th, 2008, 5:21 pm #7

Ed Parker did promote Nick Cerio to a 9th degree black, but it was not in the art that Parker was teaching. It's a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened and only Ed Parker could explain the circumstance, but since he passed on in 1990, it will never be revealed.

Also keep in mind that Ed Parker promoted Elvis Presley to an 8th degree black. Again, for his own reasons and nobody can change that. So he did promote higher than 7th.

Michael Miller, CKF

November 12th, 2008, 6:03 pm #8

The way Doc explained it to me long ago was that Mr. Parker "promoted" a lot of people beyond 7th in their own art. So there were plenty of people like Nike Cerio that founded their own system and got their rank "endorsed" by Mr. Parker. Plus, there were some people that can into the IKKA with rank of 7th or higher, which Mr. Parker also acknowledged.

But as far as Mr. Parker promoting his own students in his own system, 7th was basically it.

November 12th, 2008, 6:37 pm #9

Lotsa odd politics in the old kenpo world. Some seniors from differing systems would actually ASK others to promote their students or buddies for them, so it would come from someone other than themselves.

Mr. Parker also made an 8th for this guy: http://www.griffinskarate.com/gmgriffin.html

Rumor has it that, at the time, Griffin was on the outs with his kaju seniors...yet, it was one of them that asked Mr. P. to promote him/sanction his promotion.

Mr. P was promoted and provided a certificte by Mr. Emperado after his falling out with Chow. Wasn't so much who you trained directly under, as much as who would vouch for you, and as long as SOMEBODY vouched for you, you were OK. many of the old dog promo's were little more than high-fallutin ways of saying, "I'll vouch for him", more than "I trained him".

Mr. Parker was also a businessman with a family to feed. He promoted or ratified more than one, hoping they would join the IKKA and bring their student body into the fold, increasing the organizations income. People tend to see this as less than glamorous, but the reality is...Mr. Parker had to make a living, and kenpo was is earning vehicle. He was only selfish with rank with folks he cared about as his students.

November 12th, 2008, 6:40 pm #10

Thanks for the info and links. No, I have never been to one of these studios. I can see where you guys are coming from though as it does appear to be very commercialized.

Ron
When Villari still co-owned these with Mattera, under the Villari name, they would take a brand new sign up, sell him a franchise agreement, teach him the first technique, then give him a black belt and put him in charge. Sales classes far outweighed and outnumbered technique classes.