Kenpo Forms question

Kenpo Forms question

January 30th, 2009, 4:37 am #1

I'm new to EPAK does all forms have Side A & B? Or is that only for the lower ranks?

Remember "Train Strong to Remain Strong"........

January 30th, 2009, 4:47 am #2

The forms are balanced. Form 1 is first the right and then left side. Other forms have the "left" side integrated. RLRLRLRL

It can be helpful to practice a form's mirror image. Doing a form starting with the left side rather than right can reveal some things you would have otherwise missed. Doing them backwards can reveal even more. (Like the fact that you feel like an idiot when trying it with more advanced forms).

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

January 30th, 2009, 5:51 pm #3

I'm new to EPAK does all forms have Side A & B? Or is that only for the lower ranks?

Hi J.C.

You should do all the forms up to long 3 on both sides, meaning that when you finish the form and come back to your meditating Horse Stance, you do the form again but then on the other side. Short Form 3 is the last form you should do like this. Long 3 and up are allready both sides.

Hope this helps.

Nice regards and remember to:

Train Hard;
Train Regularly;
Train Inteligently and
TO MAKE NO EXCUSES!!!!

Osu,

Richard Baarspul
Jeff Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 - The Netherlands
www.jeffspeakman.nl
www.kenpoonline.tk

January 30th, 2009, 6:18 pm #4

Chuck Peterson was right--and also no, it's not a difference of opinion.

This ties in to the whole, "make your kenpo perfectly symmetrical," vs. "kenpo is a right-sided system," argument. Basically, the prob is that pushing the symmetry isn't possible--the body isn't symmetrical, and kenpo isn;t, or we'd step out to the right half the time.

Short 1, as Mr. Peterson said, is done right side, then left side. Short 2 has both sides integrated. Long 1 is done right side, then left; Long 2 has both sides integrated. Short 3 is learned right side; commonly, people are told to either figure out the, "other," side for themselves or they skip it; Long 3 is both sides integrated. Long 4, 5, 6, etc., are both sides integrated--and, I might add, the salutations/signatures will tell you this.

There's nothing particularly wrongo about doing "both," sides, any more than there is with doing the forms backwards...though as Chuck said, backwards is more informative and more helpful.

There IS something problematic about doing techs on both sides right from the start, I think. Basically, what's lost is a lot of the info about how techs relate, cat com,fighting strategy.

A problem I've also seen is that the, "both sides," folks sometimes don't seem to exhibit real power and stances: they tend (obviously not always) to an empty formalism that's dangerous.

Is there anything really wrong with both sides? No, or there doesn't have to be. It's a perfectly legit exploration of kenpo's possibilities. BUT the forms should NOT be taught that way initially, any more than the techs should be taught first at "formulation," stage.

Thanks,
R.M. Robertson

January 30th, 2009, 7:03 pm #5

Thanks to all who responded. Chuck It's a good idea to do forms backwards, doing the form from the Left is no big deal to me. I can do just about anything from Left or Right. Such as Kick, Punch, Block, techniques no problem, I can Bat in baseball both Left and Right.

Catch both Left and right, Throw both Left and right ect... But doing the form backwards will be a challenge. Again thanks guys............

January 31st, 2009, 1:48 am #6

The forms are balanced. Form 1 is first the right and then left side. Other forms have the "left" side integrated. RLRLRLRL

It can be helpful to practice a form's mirror image. Doing a form starting with the left side rather than right can reveal some things you would have otherwise missed. Doing them backwards can reveal even more. (Like the fact that you feel like an idiot when trying it with more advanced forms).

Chuck Peterson
Sean Kelley doesn't think it to be a good idea to do forms backwards. In fact, he chastised me for doing so in a seminar I taught in Allentown PA. Needless to say, water off a duck's back LOL.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 via <a href="http://webwarper.net" rel="nofollow"><span class="link">http://webwarper.net> This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.

Try: </span></a>
Last edited by ClydeT on January 31st, 2009, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 31st, 2009, 3:38 am #7

I thought Ed Parker mentioned filming himself doing forms or techniques, then playing them backward and learning a lot from it. Every time I try something backward, I end up with about a million questions. I can usually answer most of them myself but end up farting around with the tech more than I would have and every now and then, learn something new (like just saying "no" to prison love techniques).

Chuck Peterson

February 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm #8

Sean Kelley doesn't think it to be a good idea to do forms backwards. In fact, he chastised me for doing so in a seminar I taught in Allentown PA. Needless to say, water off a duck's back LOL.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 via <a href="http://webwarper.net" rel="nofollow"><span class="link">http://webwarper.net> This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.

Try: </span></a>
Well Clyde,

I'd have to agree with YOU on that issue. It gives relevance to the statement "for every move, theory and principle there is an opposite and a reverse"

"Whose "ism's" are those?"