Kenpo discussion - Why do we strike?

Kenpo discussion - Why do we strike?

July 25th, 2012, 3:42 pm #1

There are a few reasons we strike.

We strike to position (move the attackers' body where we want it)

We strike to damage the structure of the body

We strike to stop the attack

We must understand the intent of our strikes. Many people will argue that we strike to inflict pain. I disagree with that in terms of intent. I say we strike for the said reasons above and pain is a bonus - a possible byproduct. Pain isn't always there, but if you damage the structure of the body, even if they feel no pain in the moment, you hinder them from continuing to the best of their ability.

When we strike we should attack the skeleton, and we must go through the target, not to it. We must also control the hinges of the body (pivot points) and always cancel the back up weapons. We need to take away their dimensions while maintaining our own - height, width, depth creating time (the fourth dimension).

Am I missing anything in terms of why we strike? I look forward to responses.
Last edited by millhouse23 on July 25th, 2012, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2012, 4:46 pm #2

Well you can extend partially commited weapons and somwetimes even fully commited ones as strikes to guage what type of fighter the opponent is or how he will specifically respond. You can extend strikes to then pattern him using the aquired information.

(Oh yeah and you can just go hit somebody for rights and wrongs as well as principles and honar)

But sertiously. Relative to my initial comment.. Strategy in terms of patterning and assessing opponents is a very neglected element in many individuals methods. And this does not only apply to ring fighting it applies many times in altercations as well. The time is just more condensed.

Oh and don't they like strike children for being bad in religions and stuff? Or strike women for sassing back?

July 25th, 2012, 6:02 pm #3

Last edited by kenpokaratelol on July 25th, 2012, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 26th, 2012, 7:55 pm #4

There are a few reasons we strike.

We strike to position (move the attackers' body where we want it)

We strike to damage the structure of the body

We strike to stop the attack

We must understand the intent of our strikes. Many people will argue that we strike to inflict pain. I disagree with that in terms of intent. I say we strike for the said reasons above and pain is a bonus - a possible byproduct. Pain isn't always there, but if you damage the structure of the body, even if they feel no pain in the moment, you hinder them from continuing to the best of their ability.

When we strike we should attack the skeleton, and we must go through the target, not to it. We must also control the hinges of the body (pivot points) and always cancel the back up weapons. We need to take away their dimensions while maintaining our own - height, width, depth creating time (the fourth dimension).

Am I missing anything in terms of why we strike? I look forward to responses.
there are other reasons not on your list.

parting wings. sword and hammer. deflecting hammer.

July 27th, 2012, 4:08 pm #5

Hello. Of course there are other specific reasons we strike. It depends on how detailed you want to get (such as nervous system, shutting down of organs, etc.), but to avoid paralysis of analysis I think I pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Care to elaborate on what you feel I missed? After all, that is why I posted.

July 27th, 2012, 8:06 pm #6

To gain or retrieve control

July 27th, 2012, 11:27 pm #7

Hello. Of course there are other specific reasons we strike. It depends on how detailed you want to get (such as nervous system, shutting down of organs, etc.), but to avoid paralysis of analysis I think I pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Care to elaborate on what you feel I missed? After all, that is why I posted.
Parting Wings - the namesake movement
Sword and Hammer - the left hand
Deflecting Hammer - the left hand

July 28th, 2012, 4:31 pm #8

The thread is about why do we strike.

The left hand in sword and hammer is not striking

The left hand in deflecting hammer is not striking

One is pinning, the other is checking

Last edited by millhouse23 on July 28th, 2012, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 28th, 2012, 7:22 pm #9

The real question is, why aren't you?
Last edited by Inkspill on July 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 29th, 2012, 1:09 am #10

...keep digging.