Is this American Kenpo?

Is this American Kenpo?

December 17th, 2007, 6:40 pm #1

I have never seen the forms done this way is this Ed Parker's Kenpo? The person says its Tracy's, Chinese and American?

http://www.youtube.com/cornell2180

December 17th, 2007, 8:13 pm #2

I can assure you this isn't Ed Parker's America Kenpo, unless totally unknown to me someone put together and katana form and inserted it into the EPAK system. As to the Tracy system, I suppose this is a possibility - although in my view including a katana, which is clearly a Japanese weapon, in a Chinese system, would be a stretch. Then again, doing so might be viewed as being on the...cutting edge?

Salute

December 17th, 2007, 8:53 pm #3

i know he is a kenpo guy not sure if he is tracy's or epak as far as the form yeah its not epak...

December 17th, 2007, 9:05 pm #4

I can assure you this isn't Ed Parker's America Kenpo, unless totally unknown to me someone put together and katana form and inserted it into the EPAK system. As to the Tracy system, I suppose this is a possibility - although in my view including a katana, which is clearly a Japanese weapon, in a Chinese system, would be a stretch. Then again, doing so might be viewed as being on the...cutting edge?

Salute
Thank you. He has some clips on the bottom right of that page that are short form 1 through long 3 and some self defense that I have not seen. His stances and directions seem different that I was taught which is why I was wondering if it is Ed Parker's Kenpo.

Mike
Last edited by kenpomike1960 on December 17th, 2007, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 18th, 2007, 12:22 am #5

I have never seen the forms done this way is this Ed Parker's Kenpo? The person says its Tracy's, Chinese and American?

http://www.youtube.com/cornell2180
Milt is a competent Kenpo practitioner, and holds a rank reflecting that in the Tracy and Juchnik organizations.

As for EPAK, when Dave Hebler and I owned the American Family Karate studio in Hillsboro, Oregon, Milt was one of our instructors. Dave had high regard for him and considered, at one point, asking him to be the instructor trainer for our studios and satellites.

Typical of any competent Kenpoist who has been at it for a while, Milt has taken Ed Parker's Kenpo--as well as Juchnik's and Tracy's, for that matter--and made it his own.

Dr. Gregg E. Townsley, President
American Family Martial Arts Studios, Inc.

December 18th, 2007, 3:01 am #6

Regardless of who vouches for him it is clear that he has some serious issues in his understanding of the basic concepts and principle of motion in American Kenpo. I'm not exactly clear why you wouldn't see or acknowledge this. Over rotated blocks, mis-angled blocks, stances from fudal Japan and a general lack of body synchronicity. I couldn't imagine that Mr. Hebler would allow short 3 to be taught that way.

I wish him the best in his endeavors, but he needs to change the title of the form vids that he's doing because the really don't represent the actual forms and maybe take a step back and do a deeper evauation to what Kenpo can be...

Respectfully, Jason Bugg

www.ikenpo.com

December 18th, 2007, 3:40 am #7

Mr. Bugg,
Thanks for the input... I appreciate it! Guess I do not do the same variation of Kenpo as do you? Oh well, to each his own... I did not intend to present your "vision" of what Kenpo should, or should not be. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.
There are many different interpretations to Kenpo/Kempo and the related arts. Many opinions on what constitutes acceptable movement and motion as well. My background spans three different Kenpo systems. Sometimes they do blend a bit. I thank you for your observations. Maybe if I keep practicing I will become a better practitioner.
Happy Holidays!
Milt Guinette

December 18th, 2007, 5:49 am #8

No offense Brother...

There are concepts, principles and laws of motion (anatomical alignment, angle of deflection, etc...). These aren't my ideas, these are Mr. Parker's. If you think you've come up with what works for you great. I don't have nearly enough red on my belt to claim any level of authority on anything.

Respectfully, jb

www.ikenpo.com

December 18th, 2007, 7:21 am #9

Regardless of who vouches for him it is clear that he has some serious issues in his understanding of the basic concepts and principle of motion in American Kenpo. I'm not exactly clear why you wouldn't see or acknowledge this. Over rotated blocks, mis-angled blocks, stances from fudal Japan and a general lack of body synchronicity. I couldn't imagine that Mr. Hebler would allow short 3 to be taught that way.

I wish him the best in his endeavors, but he needs to change the title of the form vids that he's doing because the really don't represent the actual forms and maybe take a step back and do a deeper evauation to what Kenpo can be...

Respectfully, Jason Bugg

www.ikenpo.com
Appreciate your understanding of things, Mr. Bugg.

But not to start a discussion or thread here--I'm not really interested in participating, though I guess everyone else is welcome to participate--but isn't the Kenpo rug big enough for us all?

I'll not be commenting further except to say that Milt Guinette is an accomplished Kenpoman, takes his Kenpo more seriously than most people, and goes to great lengths to sit, and to practice, with those who think differently than himself. And while his Kenpo isn't my Kenpo, or clearly your Kenpo, it is Kenpo...

Geez, man...

December 18th, 2007, 7:21 am #10

Respectfully, Jason Bugg

www.ikenpo.com
Appreciate your understanding of things, Mr. Bugg.

But not to start a discussion or thread here--I'm not really interested in participating, though I guess everyone else is welcome to participate--but isn't the Kenpo rug big enough for us all?

I'll not be commenting further except to say that Milt Guinette is an accomplished Kenpoman, takes his Kenpo more seriously than most people, and goes to great lengths to sit, and to practice, with those who think differently than himself. And while his Kenpo isn't my Kenpo, or clearly your Kenpo, it is Kenpo...

Geez, man...