Historic Black Belt Test for the Channel Islands

Historic Black Belt Test for the Channel Islands

October 8th, 2008, 7:47 pm #1

Two Channel Islanders Jerseyman Martin Mc loughlin and Guernseyman Andrew Bourgaize recently passed a rigorous test for the rank of Black Belt in the discipline of Kenpo.
In the 40 years that Kenpo has existed in the Channel Islands this is the first time that a senior test has taken place in Guernsey and the first time that a Guernseyman has passed the Kenpo Black Belt test.
All the documented material required to achieve a senior black belt was covered during the test, which included the preparation of a thesis covering an aspect of the system, 200 plus Self Defence Techniques performed with precision, speed and power, 20 technically challenging Forms and Sets, a personally created kata as well as a prolonged exhaustive sparring session, the gruelling test finished off with a intensive 20 min questioning on the theoretical side of the System
Two of the visiting instructors Liam Brady and Gerry Lynch
Commented on the high standard of proficiency demonstrated by both candidates at all levels and that the test was a privilege to witness.
It was also noted that both candidates performed to a level that was well beyond the Rank they were actually being awarded.
At the award ceremony the two successful candidates were presented with specially commissioned parchment certificates flown in from the USA, exquisite commemorative Bronze Plaques, a unique set of swords and Richard personally presented Martin and Andy with a bottle of champagne each as he always does to the people who reach their Black Belts with him.. Finally the celebrations began at a sumptuous buffet which was laid on by Mrs Bougaize where the champagne did not last too long.
Coach Richard Matthews is immensely proud of Martin and Andy’s dedication to training and their outstanding performance on the day of the examination.

October 9th, 2008, 12:11 am #2

Greetings Mr. Matthews,
I am not surprised. Congratulations to the two gentlemen for their achievement. I do hope they are aware how fortunate they are to have you as their coach. From what I could gleam from meeting you in Jersey I know them to be in very capable hands. Both you and they should be very proud.

With respect,
Marcus Buonfiglio
Universal Kenpo Federation

P.S. Nice touch with the champagne!

October 9th, 2008, 12:26 am #3

Thank you Marcus for your kind words, I hope that we can catch up sometime, it was real pleasure to meet you in Jersey.
Rich