Hi Brad M.

Hi Brad M.

September 27th, 2007, 8:40 pm #1

Hey Brad,

I still occasionally browse this forum so I thought I’d take a look and see what’s going on and I see that you are very busy spreading the art. I read through a few of your posts, some pretty good info. Good job. However, I do want to clear up a couple of items, mainly regarding some timelines you stated. Possibly just some typos but they do age me a bit, so I thought I’d make the corrections.

You stated that you had been with the IKKA since 1984 and that I was your first Kenpo instructor. Well, I didn’t open my school until 1986 which was in Haltom City and I was in the Tracy’s system at the time. I moved the school to N. Richland Hills in 1988 which is the same year that I first contacted Mr. Parker, and then joined the IKKA in 1989. You enrolled in my school the following year in 1990. If you remember, Mr. Parker was at our school in June of 1990, though you had to miss the seminar as you were in the Army Reserves and had duty that weekend. I am pretty certain you were a yellow belt at the time.

You stated that you received your black belt under Paul Mills in 1990. Actually, this is the year you enrolled as a white belt at my school. I didn’t even meet Paul Mills until 1991 at the Pasadena Instructor’s camp. This was the first instructor’s camp after Mr. Parker’s passing. I took one brown belt with me, Gary Knoblock. It was the 1995 instructor’s camp that you attended with me and several other brown belts from our school. It wasn’t until later that year that I actually became a student of Paul Mills.

You did not leave my school due to me leaving the IKKA. You received your black belt under me in September of 1996 and I did not leave the IKKA until 1997. In fact, you took your black belt test, did really well I might add, and I basically never saw you again after that day. The test was in Las Vegas and you simply never returned to our school until some time later when you came in to get your IKKA certificate. I had not yet left the IKKA. In fact, I was always in close contact with Mrs. Parker and we discussed the fact that I had not seen you since your test and she gave me the option of not giving you the certificate. I thought about it for some time, but decided that you had earned the certificate, even though you chose not return to our school after your test. I discussed this with you when you picked up your certificate.

You stated that you hold a black belt in several other martial arts. I can’t say that this isn’t so, but when you enrolled at our school in 1990, you were pretty green. You may have since trained in other arts.

You stated that you spent 24 years in the US Army 5th Special Forces and retired as a Command Sgt Major. I suppose your military career in the Army Special Forces could have begun after your training at our school, as I lost touch with you. I know you were in the Army Reserves for much of your time at my school, but you were only 26 when you started with me. So unless you joined the Special Forces at age 2, your days with that unit must have started after 1996 when you left our school. But then that is only 11 years at max. However, I’m not schooled in the operations of the armed forces, so it could be that the Army Reserves may have a Special Forces unit. I just never heard that from you at the time.

I did read that you have been in Kenpo for 24 years and that I was your first instructor. My school has only existed for 21 years and you began your training in 1990, so my calculations read 17 years. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of, 17 years is a long time and a lot of experience. But it just isn’t 24.

Anyway, Brad, it is good to see you are out there teaching and doing what you enjoy. You’ve accomplished a great deal in your journey, something to be proud of, so no need to muddy it up with inaccuracies. I would normally not call attention to it, but since my name came up in the mix, I thought I’d clear it up.

Keith Gorham

September 27th, 2007, 9:23 pm #2

Good to here from you Sir.

My Respects Sir

Brad Marshall

Last edited by marshallskenpo on October 22nd, 2007, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 27th, 2007, 11:17 pm #3

Sir I went back and did some checking. I dont have any of my early certificates, due to the fact that they were lost during divorce.However I do have My second black and up. By doing the math it appears you are correct about the time line. My memory is getting bad I guess.

I would like to take this time to offer my sincere apology for mis-representing myself on the time line.I thank you for filling in those dates for me.I also would like to offer my apology to anyone else by my carelessness.

My deepest respect and thanks sir
Brad Marshall

September 28th, 2007, 7:10 am #4

are the dates you confirm with Doc regarding when you'll be on the mats with us. The rest is in the noise.

September 28th, 2007, 7:58 am #5

I care about the dates of the trip to Massachusetts that you hope to make later in the year. I really hope you can make it out here this winter sir.
Last edited by CarolKaur on September 28th, 2007, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 28th, 2007, 12:43 pm #6

Hey Brad,

I still occasionally browse this forum so I thought I’d take a look and see what’s going on and I see that you are very busy spreading the art. I read through a few of your posts, some pretty good info. Good job. However, I do want to clear up a couple of items, mainly regarding some timelines you stated. Possibly just some typos but they do age me a bit, so I thought I’d make the corrections.

You stated that you had been with the IKKA since 1984 and that I was your first Kenpo instructor. Well, I didn’t open my school until 1986 which was in Haltom City and I was in the Tracy’s system at the time. I moved the school to N. Richland Hills in 1988 which is the same year that I first contacted Mr. Parker, and then joined the IKKA in 1989. You enrolled in my school the following year in 1990. If you remember, Mr. Parker was at our school in June of 1990, though you had to miss the seminar as you were in the Army Reserves and had duty that weekend. I am pretty certain you were a yellow belt at the time.

You stated that you received your black belt under Paul Mills in 1990. Actually, this is the year you enrolled as a white belt at my school. I didn’t even meet Paul Mills until 1991 at the Pasadena Instructor’s camp. This was the first instructor’s camp after Mr. Parker’s passing. I took one brown belt with me, Gary Knoblock. It was the 1995 instructor’s camp that you attended with me and several other brown belts from our school. It wasn’t until later that year that I actually became a student of Paul Mills.

You did not leave my school due to me leaving the IKKA. You received your black belt under me in September of 1996 and I did not leave the IKKA until 1997. In fact, you took your black belt test, did really well I might add, and I basically never saw you again after that day. The test was in Las Vegas and you simply never returned to our school until some time later when you came in to get your IKKA certificate. I had not yet left the IKKA. In fact, I was always in close contact with Mrs. Parker and we discussed the fact that I had not seen you since your test and she gave me the option of not giving you the certificate. I thought about it for some time, but decided that you had earned the certificate, even though you chose not return to our school after your test. I discussed this with you when you picked up your certificate.

You stated that you hold a black belt in several other martial arts. I can’t say that this isn’t so, but when you enrolled at our school in 1990, you were pretty green. You may have since trained in other arts.

You stated that you spent 24 years in the US Army 5th Special Forces and retired as a Command Sgt Major. I suppose your military career in the Army Special Forces could have begun after your training at our school, as I lost touch with you. I know you were in the Army Reserves for much of your time at my school, but you were only 26 when you started with me. So unless you joined the Special Forces at age 2, your days with that unit must have started after 1996 when you left our school. But then that is only 11 years at max. However, I’m not schooled in the operations of the armed forces, so it could be that the Army Reserves may have a Special Forces unit. I just never heard that from you at the time.

I did read that you have been in Kenpo for 24 years and that I was your first instructor. My school has only existed for 21 years and you began your training in 1990, so my calculations read 17 years. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of, 17 years is a long time and a lot of experience. But it just isn’t 24.

Anyway, Brad, it is good to see you are out there teaching and doing what you enjoy. You’ve accomplished a great deal in your journey, something to be proud of, so no need to muddy it up with inaccuracies. I would normally not call attention to it, but since my name came up in the mix, I thought I’d clear it up.

Keith Gorham
Brad,

I echo the same sentiments regarding dates. Looking forward to seeing you in California on 06Oct07.

As an added bonus, all in attendance of this gathering will receive a free "anti-mud suit" useful when perusing message boards..... Just kidding. Unless part of your material covers dodging such media and a suit is not needed?? Just kidding again.....Sheesh. Unless you hand out certificates (with correct dates) that can prove after attending you can dodge such media....ok, I'll stop.

Your Brother,

Robert

September 28th, 2007, 2:55 pm #7

Sir I went back and did some checking. I dont have any of my early certificates, due to the fact that they were lost during divorce.However I do have My second black and up. By doing the math it appears you are correct about the time line. My memory is getting bad I guess.

I would like to take this time to offer my sincere apology for mis-representing myself on the time line.I thank you for filling in those dates for me.I also would like to offer my apology to anyone else by my carelessness.

My deepest respect and thanks sir
Brad Marshall
Hey Brad, no problem. Yes, my memory isn't what it used to be either. I'm 45 now, which really ticks me off pretty bad, so I sure didn't need 7 years added, haha. I'm a Grandpa now, 3 times over and I absolutely love that part. But getting old really kinda sucks. However, it beats the alternative, ha.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Your ole' instructor,
Keith Gorham

September 28th, 2007, 3:23 pm #8

Thank you again Sir.

I have a baby on the way due in Feb. Dont know what caused that, I to am in the Grandpa mode.

Perhaps next time I get to Texas we can finially go for that lunch.

Take care sir, and I can never thank you in words for this Kenpo journey you sent me on.

Brad

September 28th, 2007, 3:56 pm #9

Hey Brad, no problem. Yes, my memory isn't what it used to be either. I'm 45 now, which really ticks me off pretty bad, so I sure didn't need 7 years added, haha. I'm a Grandpa now, 3 times over and I absolutely love that part. But getting old really kinda sucks. However, it beats the alternative, ha.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Your ole' instructor,
Keith Gorham
Hi,sir.just wanted to drop a line to see how you are doing.It"t been awile.Hope all is well with you.Heard you are opening a new school.Congrats and best wishes.

September 28th, 2007, 4:00 pm #10

Brad,

I echo the same sentiments regarding dates. Looking forward to seeing you in California on 06Oct07.

As an added bonus, all in attendance of this gathering will receive a free "anti-mud suit" useful when perusing message boards..... Just kidding. Unless part of your material covers dodging such media and a suit is not needed?? Just kidding again.....Sheesh. Unless you hand out certificates (with correct dates) that can prove after attending you can dodge such media....ok, I'll stop.

Your Brother,

Robert
the new Popiel Mud Suit.If you go on these message boards this is an item you can not afford to be without. This item comes in sizes to fit everyone from beginners to the most senior of seniors.
Forget a date? This suit will save those new shorts you just bought.
Didn't anchor your elows? Just slip this on and you'll remain clean enough to attend church.
Train with someone that someone else doesn't see eye to eye with? One call and your worries are over.
And if you act now you receive a 2nd suit absolutly FREE.Yes free.This offer won't last so call today. 1-800-mud-suit.
These make great Gifts for the holiday season. You won't forget the look on your instructors face when they open this great gift.
And if you call today you get a pair of the kenpo rubber boots.A great item to have when the bulls**t gets deep. A real must if you spend any time on these forums.
with all resect,
Tony Capone