Heavy Bag Recommendations...

Heavy Bag Recommendations...

October 31st, 2008, 12:07 am #1

Does anyone have a good heavy bag they can recommend (either hanging or free-standing)? I realize that hanging bags are the preferred choice; however, I may not be able to hang. I'm polling for a good reference before I buy. Thanks.

Ron Giarnella
Last edited by rpg723 on October 31st, 2008, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 31st, 2008, 3:49 am #2

I use a century freestanding for training at home. the only thing is it's not the best for low kicks unless that's the focus for your workout. Other than that, I just got rid of my everlast heavy bag stand and bag because I don't use it anymore and it was taking up to much room. I just shove the century bag in the corner and takes up minimal space. You can't knock it over, I give it all I got. I fill it with water.

the negative of it. I do hard round house kicks in my workouts. Hard as I can... and I end up going through the padding and kicking the plastic inner makings of the thing. I just take it and get through it, it's good conditioning I guess. it does hurt a little though.

Other than that, space and usuability, I would go with the stand alone.

October 31st, 2008, 4:10 am #3

Does anyone have a good heavy bag they can recommend (either hanging or free-standing)? I realize that hanging bags are the preferred choice; however, I may not be able to hang. I'm polling for a good reference before I buy. Thanks.

Ron Giarnella
I'm partial to canvas 100 lb bags. Until I bought a stand, I used to hang them from ceiling joists (reinforced with 4 x 4's as necessary) with a chain.

October 31st, 2008, 12:48 pm #4

Ron Giarnella
I use the Wavemaster and really like it.

I filled mine with water and it was "enough" for me but William used water and sand with his and that thing is plenty grounded lemme tell ya.

I got a good deal on mine at Big 5 Sporting goods a while ago and I just recently moved and didn't have a place for it here so someone just got a really good deal on it and some set of olympic weights as they were just put on the front yard with, "Have fun!" sign on them...lol. They were gone in no time.

But I got some good punching and kicking time on that bag. You'll like it I think.

Back to the mats,

Angela

p.s.
Check places like Play it Again Sports for used ones too. Alot of folks get things and "move on" so maybe you can find a good one there at a decent price.

October 31st, 2008, 5:38 pm #5

Ron Giarnella
Google the Grant and/or Ringside websites. You want to get one that hangs, and I would recommend either the "BodySnatcher" or the "Wrecking Ball." Heavy bags are great, but they build laziness and bad habits. A big bag in front of allows bad tendencies such as not moving your feet, and dropping your hands. Hours and hours on a heavybag is good exercise, but you want to supplement other training aides. Look into a double end bag, and ensure that you are shadowboxing!!! Good Luck!

October 31st, 2008, 7:04 pm #6

I use the Wavemaster and really like it.

I filled mine with water and it was "enough" for me but William used water and sand with his and that thing is plenty grounded lemme tell ya.

I got a good deal on mine at Big 5 Sporting goods a while ago and I just recently moved and didn't have a place for it here so someone just got a really good deal on it and some set of olympic weights as they were just put on the front yard with, "Have fun!" sign on them...lol. They were gone in no time.

But I got some good punching and kicking time on that bag. You'll like it I think.

Back to the mats,

Angela

p.s.
Check places like Play it Again Sports for used ones too. Alot of folks get things and "move on" so maybe you can find a good one there at a decent price.
I second all of what Angela mentions, I prefer the freestanding.

Gary

November 2nd, 2008, 1:38 am #7

Google the Grant and/or Ringside websites. You want to get one that hangs, and I would recommend either the "BodySnatcher" or the "Wrecking Ball." Heavy bags are great, but they build laziness and bad habits. A big bag in front of allows bad tendencies such as not moving your feet, and dropping your hands. Hours and hours on a heavybag is good exercise, but you want to supplement other training aides. Look into a double end bag, and ensure that you are shadowboxing!!! Good Luck!
I agree that hanging bags are better. The stands are huge obstructions to your footwork. If you are a grown man Id stay away from the water filled bags. In my opinion the purpose of a heavybag is to condition yourself to hit hard. Youll probably hurt yourself at first, but after training with a bag for awhile, youll be looking for something harder than a water filled bag.

November 3rd, 2008, 9:29 pm #8

If you are going to hang it ina location that has a ceiling (as opposed to exposed beams), you can buy a device that is designed for stabilizing ceiling fans, it is very good for bags. The device consists of two plates speerated by a rod that extends / collapses on a screwing mechnism. You shortne it, fit it between the beams, and then screw it out so it is solidly weged between beams.

by cutting a 6 inch hole in your ceiling drywall, you can slip the unit up into the ceiling, tighten it up, and then loop the chain over the central bar. This results in no damage to your beam from the chain, and a much smaller hole in your ceiling than if you tried to cut a big enough hole to loop the chain over a beam. The unit is available wherrever they asell ceiling fans (try Menards or Lowes).