for some more discussion

for some more discussion

May 15th, 2010, 9:35 pm #1

the orange belt basics list I have says....

front thrust kick

rear snap kick

reason?

May 16th, 2010, 4:04 pm #2

Front Thrust: Have more power behind the kick as you are bringing hips/pelvis forward and your body mass creating distance between you and whoever is trying to hurt you (I'm assuming) from the front.

Rear Snap Kick: You ever been kicked by a horse/mule? Lot of power generated from that quick snap as you are using not only counter balance but the kick/force is generated from point of origin initiation. No need for a thrust. Takes too much time from that position and you lose power past a certain point.

At least...that's my opinion.

Back to the mats,

Angela

May 16th, 2010, 9:04 pm #3

front thrust kick

rear snap kick

reason?
This is a good one...wait on advertisement...

http://www.ehow.com/video_4961705_do-fr ... -kick.html

Just remember, it can back fire...Why I do a lot of leg press now, as I age...
Distance is important, of course...

Need to do it 100's times...On a bag that gives...

Regards

May 16th, 2010, 10:11 pm #4

front thrust kick

rear snap kick

reason?
I remember thrust kicks being difficult to learn. Perhaps adding just the front first gives one the time ti get it down before adding another thrust kick. Just a thought.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

May 17th, 2010, 1:42 am #5

Regards
According to Larry:

What he is doing is a front thrust stomp kick.
Which is part of Kenpo's grouping of kicks.

A front thrust kick is most commonly a snap kick extended past the point of snap, to full extension of the leg and the rear hip extending past the
point of parallel of the other hip. Their are other methods and ranges of this kick; such as
only locking out the knee and no hip extension or locking the knee at three quarters of the way out and then pushing the hip forward or not pushing it forward.

Please post

When he was going slow and detailing it, he certainly demonstrated a thrust kick but as he did it "real time" changed it to this stomp kick that Larry is referring to.

Could be more Kenpo potatoes/potahtoes kinda thing but he definitely changed the dynamic of the kick from the thrust kick to the stomp that Larry picked up on.

Back to the mats,

Angela

May 17th, 2010, 2:21 pm #6

Combination of a knee, and then a kick if you were to allow the person receiving to react to the knee, move away and then you follow with the kick...

I can see what Larry is mentioning...In the video also...

Regards,
Gary

May 19th, 2010, 1:19 pm #7

Front Thrust: Have more power behind the kick as you are bringing hips/pelvis forward and your body mass creating distance between you and whoever is trying to hurt you (I'm assuming) from the front.

Rear Snap Kick: You ever been kicked by a horse/mule? Lot of power generated from that quick snap as you are using not only counter balance but the kick/force is generated from point of origin initiation. No need for a thrust. Takes too much time from that position and you lose power past a certain point.

At least...that's my opinion.

Back to the mats,

Angela
if this is true...then how do you do you the kick in delayed sword?...just askin

May 19th, 2010, 1:27 pm #8

Regards
no...
he would have better results if used proper technique all the way through the kick...
his foot was all over the place, body alignment starts at the fingers and toes..
I would never try to kick with the heel of my foot at that angle. The strongest point of contact is the ball of the foot, in line with the big toe
it matters.... he looked off balance, he looked like he would be hurling himself into the target without control, guided by the force of his action

I didn't like the demonstration

May 20th, 2010, 7:38 pm #9

if this is true...then how do you do you the kick in delayed sword?...just askin
On how the dummy reacts to my first block that will cause me to decide on using a front snap or thrust kick.

Depending on the experience of the dummy I'm working with typically determines that.

Back to the mats,

Angela