Does it really matter who you studied under?

Does it really matter who you studied under?

December 28th, 2008, 1:10 am #1

Does it really matter who you studied under now or in the past?

Does attending one seminar that Mr. Parker taught back in the day somehow give you some magical credability? Or if you studied directly under Mr. Parker somehow make you an expert in the art of Kenpo? I often hear people talk as if they know what the system would be like if Mr. Parker was still alive.

I think (and only my opinion) there are alot of people that will never have the opportunity to train under SGM Parker, so all we can go by is the instruction we receive now. There are some very talented Kenpoist that have done some great things with the system that we call Kenpo "today".

I am not bashing anyone out there I'm just trying to say that as long as you are taught solid principles and concepts and your instructor is the right fit for your needs let's just hit the mats and have fun doing it, because after all thats why we do it. You may say this is just the rant of an idiot but I just don't think it matters if you knew a guy who met a guy who's cousin went to a seminar taught by Mr. Parker back in the day because I don't think that gives you street credability in the kenpo world today.

Just my two cents worth

December 28th, 2008, 5:10 am #2

However, if all you want to do is learn the motions, it doesn't matter.
It matters to me.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

December 29th, 2008, 1:15 am #3

Does it really matter who you studied under now or in the past?

Does attending one seminar that Mr. Parker taught back in the day somehow give you some magical credability? Or if you studied directly under Mr. Parker somehow make you an expert in the art of Kenpo? I often hear people talk as if they know what the system would be like if Mr. Parker was still alive.

I think (and only my opinion) there are alot of people that will never have the opportunity to train under SGM Parker, so all we can go by is the instruction we receive now. There are some very talented Kenpoist that have done some great things with the system that we call Kenpo "today".

I am not bashing anyone out there I'm just trying to say that as long as you are taught solid principles and concepts and your instructor is the right fit for your needs let's just hit the mats and have fun doing it, because after all thats why we do it. You may say this is just the rant of an idiot but I just don't think it matters if you knew a guy who met a guy who's cousin went to a seminar taught by Mr. Parker back in the day because I don't think that gives you street credability in the kenpo world today.

Just my two cents worth
It matters but it's not the only thing that matters. Even the best intructors had crappy students. Not all of Cus Damato's students won titles, but I doubt that Tyson or Patterson would have won their's without him. If you are a good student and have a good instructor, then you will do well. There are PLENTY of specatularly bad instructors teaching the martial arts. If you've ever had a bad one, then you know the difference that a good one can make. None of us get to train with Chow, or Parker or Motobu or Funakoshi anymore, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a definite benefit to having trained with them.

Thank God that Gary Brewer is still around!