Clutching Feathers curve ball ;)

Clutching Feathers curve ball ;)

April 10th, 2009, 4:38 am #1

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Just finished working with a student on Clutching Feathers. As he is very familiar with the tech I decided to through him a curve ball and apply it with a proper attack... ooops! Essentially, I grabbed his hair and wrenched his head forward and down (with control of coarse), which is the only way I have ever experienced having my hair pulled and the only way I have ever witnessed it when done in a real scenario.

It is the sole instinctive reason opponents grab your hair in real combat, they instinctively know that pulling your head down and forward cancels your height and depth zones and nullifies the effectiveness of your width zones, as you either swing wildly or pre-occupy your hands and arms trying to free yourself or involuntarily post if it gets to that point, and believe me it gets to that point super fast.

It stand to reason then that the priority is to regain control of your dimensional zones and platform, an immediate by product of which is reduction of stress level thus taking the pressure of the panic button.

For those of you who practice this way I am going to give you my suggestion as to how I train and explain in this situation.

In such a circumstance the attacker pulling your head down and toward him will generally cause your right foot to step forward if he is pulling with his left hand, in a natural attempt to regain your platform stability. It is here that we take advantage of the disadvantage.

As your right foot plants immediately step with your left foot to 4 oclock as you counter grab with your left hand pressing and pinning his right hand to your head. As you are stepping allow your height to drop into the twist stance by bending the knees accordingly, relieving the downward pressure being exerted on your height zone. As you step you will rotate your body toward ten oclock in a directionally harmonious fashion, this will align your dimensional zones and place you in a temporary zone of sanctuary, it will also momentarily cancel your opponents dimensional zone advantage, allowing you to strike his left ribcage without fear of being tagged with his right punch.

IMPORTANT The left foot placement should not be behind your right foot, if it is you will misalign and destabilize yourself, and you will not unwind into a right neutral bow.

For those of you familiar with the dimensional zones it will be found if applied properly utilizing the dimensional concept, you are also able to wrench his right arm through the shoulder, this causes his left side to compress putting his weight over his left foot. The tension created will and restrict the ability of your opponents rib cage to flex and absorb the blow thus magnifying the force of your strike.

With the left arm locked up through the shoulder you also increases the chance of dislocation as you apply a frictional pull with your right extended block to clear his left arm, whilst simultaneously striking his left mandible with your heel palm.

You will find when you dummy for this that the head has been severely restricted in its ability to move away from the force impact, as the your left side neck muscles are also constricted as your head adjusts to follow the initial foot maneuver. I say when you dummy for the tech, as it is important to feel the effect on the body in order to repeat it on another.

Have fun and let me know how it works for you.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF

April 10th, 2009, 6:31 am #2

I noticed on your opponent's initial contact, you were stating he was pulling your hair down, then forward. I've experienced myself; what with mma being so popular, that if someone was going to grab your hair and pull you down, that a knee would most likely soon follow to the face, having force meet force somewhere within the zone of where the opponent's mid-section would be. It's common sense that most folk wouldn't try to punch the face with their free hand due to the punch not being contuor to the target of the head when it is bent down due to a hair grab. Of course, we see many people act in many different ways when it comes to attacking and being attacked, but it would make more sense that someone would grab your hair, and pull you down, for the sole purpose of laying harm to you in any way. It's natural for even a regular person in today's society to want to throw a knee to the groin, face, or body after pulling a head down via hair, clinch, neck manipulation, etc. due to the uprising of the UFC, kids trying to emulate what they see on T.V., or on the internet, etc. Long story short, do you have a check or block of the opponent's hips in educated anticipation of an oncoming knee, or would that bring this particular attack into a whole other technique?

April 10th, 2009, 8:56 am #3

Yes it would put it into a whole other technique. The application I posted is based 1. On the idea that you have missed the opportunity to apply the written tech (almost a certainty in an explosive assault) but have the good fortune and environmental awareness to be able to recover before it's to late, that is to say your upper body mass has not been brought down below centre line of height zone two or lower (in which case your arms would be extending in an attempt to brake the fall) and pulled forward into the attack you described, and 2. It's a single handed hair grab pulling you into a punch or head-butt.

The scenario you describe generally has two hands on, in such a case you are only concerned with the knee.

I would suggest if you don't have the ability to attack the attacking agent such as punching the knee (yes I know what people are going to say but you can strike the knee cap without fracturing your knuckle if its conditioned, but better yet is to strike the flesh on the inside of the knee as in bow of compulsion, and it has twice if not more of an effect because the muscles have been compressed by the chambering of the knee magnifying the force. Try it, sit down and bend your knee tensing it as you would in a strike, then punch the flesh around the mediallis region ouch!

If you are not at a level of experience to strike the attack or its too late and you are falling forward, I suggest a strong cross block above the attacking knee into his oncoming Quadriceps if you can get it, and allow yourself to be pulled down, as you throw out the block press it in deep and rotate your body so that you roll into his supporting leg. This will do two things, firstly take you of the straight line of attacking knee and two force him to plant the attacking leg so as not to be bowled over.

The chances of the attacker holding on are reduced, unless he is willing to go to ground, because in order for him to maintain the grip he will be forced to bend over, unless of course he pulls you around, but at that point there is only arbitrary response to action and we could be here all week

You can also attack the knee if he has your height cancelled in such a way and is elbowing your back or skull. Analyze the attack and find solutions.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF

April 10th, 2009, 2:12 pm #4

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Just finished working with a student on Clutching Feathers. As he is very familiar with the tech I decided to through him a curve ball and apply it with a proper attack... ooops! Essentially, I grabbed his hair and wrenched his head forward and down (with control of coarse), which is the only way I have ever experienced having my hair pulled and the only way I have ever witnessed it when done in a real scenario.

It is the sole instinctive reason opponents grab your hair in real combat, they instinctively know that pulling your head down and forward cancels your height and depth zones and nullifies the effectiveness of your width zones, as you either swing wildly or pre-occupy your hands and arms trying to free yourself or involuntarily post if it gets to that point, and believe me it gets to that point super fast.

It stand to reason then that the priority is to regain control of your dimensional zones and platform, an immediate by product of which is reduction of stress level thus taking the pressure of the panic button.

For those of you who practice this way I am going to give you my suggestion as to how I train and explain in this situation.

In such a circumstance the attacker pulling your head down and toward him will generally cause your right foot to step forward if he is pulling with his left hand, in a natural attempt to regain your platform stability. It is here that we take advantage of the disadvantage.

As your right foot plants immediately step with your left foot to 4 oclock as you counter grab with your left hand pressing and pinning his right hand to your head. As you are stepping allow your height to drop into the twist stance by bending the knees accordingly, relieving the downward pressure being exerted on your height zone. As you step you will rotate your body toward ten oclock in a directionally harmonious fashion, this will align your dimensional zones and place you in a temporary zone of sanctuary, it will also momentarily cancel your opponents dimensional zone advantage, allowing you to strike his left ribcage without fear of being tagged with his right punch.

IMPORTANT The left foot placement should not be behind your right foot, if it is you will misalign and destabilize yourself, and you will not unwind into a right neutral bow.

For those of you familiar with the dimensional zones it will be found if applied properly utilizing the dimensional concept, you are also able to wrench his right arm through the shoulder, this causes his left side to compress putting his weight over his left foot. The tension created will and restrict the ability of your opponents rib cage to flex and absorb the blow thus magnifying the force of your strike.

With the left arm locked up through the shoulder you also increases the chance of dislocation as you apply a frictional pull with your right extended block to clear his left arm, whilst simultaneously striking his left mandible with your heel palm.

You will find when you dummy for this that the head has been severely restricted in its ability to move away from the force impact, as the your left side neck muscles are also constricted as your head adjusts to follow the initial foot maneuver. I say when you dummy for the tech, as it is important to feel the effect on the body in order to repeat it on another.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF
My thoughts in surviving this attack as stated would be to slice the eye as I am in route to checking the grabbing hand on my head. The above insert is something which makes this technique shine. Without it, we must then be "Supermen" as we look for other avenues to make the above technique work outside of the ideal phase.

My thoughts,
Carl

JM5

April 10th, 2009, 4:03 pm #5

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF
You could go into Locking Horns.

Yes you would eliminate the pin of the attacker's grab to your hair, but if the attacker is pulling you down you are using purposeful compliance, so I think you could get away with eliminating the pin and just going into Locking Horns. Also, if you are being pulled down by the hair, you are at risk of getting a knee to the face. The knee check in Locking Horns would address that. Isn't it better to find another existing technique in the system to address the situation, before formulating a new technique?

April 10th, 2009, 7:45 pm #6

Sounds good, and looking through the systems library of techs is one tool to use, it is the conceptual idea behind the techs and the appropriate knowledgeable response that makes them work and this is what we are learning and internalizing, resulting in spontaneous grafting and individual composition based upon strong scientific fundamentals.

I think blocking as in Locking Horns is good but remember the scenario at that point has changed from the original post, your dimensional zones have been repositioned and if you are pulled over your centre of gravity you are falling no if ands or buts. It is at this point that ones skill level will dictate the arbitrary response.

The most important move in a tech is the first, would be interesting and informative to see how other individuals with different physical makeups and experiential background respond to the different levels of attack when practiced, especially those with ground fighting backgrounds.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF

April 11th, 2009, 1:24 am #7

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF
Answered my own question, but thanks for the thought provoking post!

Dan Puleo
Last edited by DanPuleo on April 11th, 2009, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2009, 2:48 am #8

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF
The catalyst you're using would put the first move of Destructive Twins into play, simply because of the direction of the pull, forward and down. Of course, without pinning the hand, they are free to continue the attack even after the intial strike, hence, pinning the hand and on to Clutching Feathers in the Ideal Phase.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 viahttp://webwarper.net This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.
Try:http://webwarper.net/webwarper.exe Example of viewing:http://webwarper.net/ww/www.network54.c ... 60433/post ]

April 11th, 2009, 9:40 pm #9

You could go into Locking Horns.

Yes you would eliminate the pin of the attacker's grab to your hair, but if the attacker is pulling you down you are using purposeful compliance, so I think you could get away with eliminating the pin and just going into Locking Horns. Also, if you are being pulled down by the hair, you are at risk of getting a knee to the face. The knee check in Locking Horns would address that. Isn't it better to find another existing technique in the system to address the situation, before formulating a new technique?
Re: I agree n/t
Last edited by mvkarate on April 11th, 2009, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.