As we ring in the New Year

As we ring in the New Year

December 31st, 2011, 9:14 pm #1

What have you done for Kenpo lately? What benchmarks have you achieved? What further truth do you seek?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 viahttp://webwarper.net This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.
Try:http://webwarper.net/webwarper.exe Example of viewing:http://webwarper.net/ww/www.network54.c ... 60433/post ]

December 31st, 2011, 10:38 pm #2

What have you done, Clyde? It's funny that you post this crap. You don't run a school. I do. And the school I run isn't a belt factory, unlike many people I know. In fact, I've been teaching 14 years and I've never promoted anyone to black belt. I have two students who have been with me from the start and they are 2nd degree brown belts.

You have made fun of and hurt WAY more people than you have ever helped. To me, that makes you a punk. I'm not saying you don't have any worth. I'm just saying you aren't being the person you should be based on your experience in Kenpo.

Have a great life! Glock's still rule.

Michael "Studmuffin" Miller

December 31st, 2011, 11:25 pm #3

So Mike your contribution to Kenpo is that you have been teaching for 14 years and you have never promoted anyone to black belt including two students who have been with you right from the start?

Is the length of time it takes your students to learn longer because of all the other stuff (boxing, jujutsu, etc.) you teach or are those two just learning American Kenpo?

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it but I would like to know what your reasons are for it...as you well know my views on belt ranks in general.

As for the Clyde stuff...

Come on Mike first the BS about the signed gi and now the punk stuff. If you really have the desire to fight with Clyde I assure you he would welcome it. He is not one of those teachers that will only spar with his kids class if you know what I mean lol. I will also bet you that if you did put aside the past gripes, ego and attitude and visited the guy with an open mind, you would come away a better Kenpoist for your efforts.

You are so fond of calling me a friend, take a friends advice and either go train with the guy first or not. Give me a call Mike at (216) 408-2054 and lets talk. I got a few days off for this New Years so I got time.

December 31st, 2011, 11:57 pm #4

What have you done for Kenpo lately? What benchmarks have you achieved? What further truth do you seek?

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 viahttp://webwarper.net This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.
Try:http://webwarper.net/webwarper.exe Example of viewing:http://webwarper.net/ww/www.network54.c ... 60433/post ]
The year 2011 has been an interesting year for my Kenpo.

My Kenpo skill had come to a roadblock and I could not see where to go from there. I became so frustrated with the system that I bagged up and put away all of my Kenpo gear, uniforms, books, notes and DVDs. I was not just frustrated with my own lack of growth but with the attitudes and political bickering of my fellow Kenpoists (I had even taken part in some). I decided to once again search for a different martial art to devote myself to.

I turned to Tai Chi Chuan an art I had previously dabbled in. I learned the traditional 108 move Yang Family long form and began to focus on push-hands; I engrossed myself in the study of the Chinese Classics on the art. I contacted the most skilled practitioners in the United States that I could find and had them send me, gear, writings, DVDs, weapons etc. I even started to work on Standing Post Qi Gong. It occurred to me as I worked on each technique application in the tai chi form that it was contained within the Kenpo I had previously done. Coming away somewhat disappointed.

I asked around and found a Wing Tsun Sihing who had recently started to teach near the base I was at in GA. So I took a month of Wing Tsun, Leung Ting Lineage. I learned the Sil Nim Tao form and the basics. Took some private lessons and I generally do not attend seminars but I even traveled to a nearby state to take a seminar from the Sifu of the Sihing. I did learn some unique things for sure but the art felt very restricted.

Then I came down on orders to attend a course in AZ about 3 hours from where Clyde lives. So having nothing to lose, I restarted my Kenpo Journey and within the first few hours the motivation and confidence in Kenpo returned 10 fold and with the much needed corrections the way forward became clear. I know where I am at and where I need to go, also what I need to do to get there. Since then I have made a few more trips to Phoenix and each time I have come away with a mountain of homework. So this year has not been one of teaching much Kenpo or even doing a lot of Kenpo but it has been more about sacrificing past notions and preconceived ideas about the art and coming back to it from a new perspective that in the future I hope will be something I can pass to the next generation of our art.

January 1st, 2012, 2:00 am #5

What have you done, Clyde? It's funny that you post this crap. You don't run a school. I do. And the school I run isn't a belt factory, unlike many people I know. In fact, I've been teaching 14 years and I've never promoted anyone to black belt. I have two students who have been with me from the start and they are 2nd degree brown belts.

You have made fun of and hurt WAY more people than you have ever helped. To me, that makes you a punk. I'm not saying you don't have any worth. I'm just saying you aren't being the person you should be based on your experience in Kenpo.

You guys are too funny, all of you... I must say that while each of us has our own "idea" or "interpretations" of what Kenpo is or should be the great lesson here might be that we can all learn from one another... Good or bad Sadly though, (and I am equally as guilty) when certain people post we as individuals have a tenancy to jump up and reject anything and everything they post... But I will for the new year try to steer clear of these over reactions and oversights that are driven by emotion and not logic. So to you all I say Happy New Year!!! I look forward to seeing what "we" all have to discuss in 2012!!!

Good Journey,
Todd Durgan

January 1st, 2012, 2:37 am #6

Happy New Year to you too lol! I agree with you we can all learn from one another lol, in fact I would like to ask you some questions about those numbered planes you discuss in your clips.
Whats your e-mail again?

January 1st, 2012, 2:51 am #7

kenpoguy@kenpoguy.com that should get you there.... and they aren't my numbers or my planes just my interpretation or explanation of the universal pattern and it's use as a viable teaching and learning aid or tool... glad to talk anytime.

Good Journey,

Todd Durgan

January 1st, 2012, 3:21 am #8

Clyde

Well first Clyde I really don't fully understand the concept of "doing something for Kenpo?". My contribution to the image of Kenpo has always been in the area of fundamentals because without grounded and rooted fundamentals there can be no extrapolations of such. My other contribution to the image is that when someone feels my art they gain respect and have interest. Because honestly kenpo does not have a real good reputation in the martial arts world (at least the world I hang out in) for reasons which have no merit but also have merit. Or better to say how it is practiced. I would say that my contribution also extends to the fact that i do not just transmit information but I make hands on structural corrections on the students execution so they can feel what I am trying to say. I also would say that I am eternally grateful to my phenomenal teacher and always will be no matter what though now I have moved into my own circle. At some point the chick must leave the nest.

I am grateful to the other legends of fighting that somehow and some way I was exposed to all do to the credibility of my lineage and teacher. Those legends include Ed Parker who encouraged me and gave me self confidence through validation that the path I am on is correct relative to motion. I am grateful I knew Ed Parker but I am more grateful that he knew my karate. There is a difference. I am grateful that I had the ability to listen and take correction and that the correction was peerless and true.

I will always be eternally sorry and ashamed that I did not heed the short, sweet and extremely personal words of Ed Parker who was concerned that if I did not make a career out of martial arts I would be "board". I chased the dollar and ego of a profession in health care instead of my heart and I wasted my happiness and life.

It this new year now that I am old, sick and slower than in my prime I am sorry I did not take myself to higher limits when I had the body to do it and tolerate it. To express my spirit through a physical vehicle which was young and with flexibility and stamina.

What benchmarks? Well these are not just this year but have been gradual and ongoing. Well lets see. I would say courage. Courage to move into my own as a source while still respecting the person/people that made it possible. Becoming more mature in my art. More solid. More assured. More aware of my limitations and the augmentation of my style to fit my body and mind. More open minded to principles which may conflict with those that I believed were the only right way to do things. More aware that when I believe my cup is full it is generally filled with self importance, ego and arrogance and it must be emptied retaining the knowledge of the old wine but to be filled with new only to be emptied again.

What further truth do I seek? That all lies in the realm of spirituality, universal truth and specifically quantum physics. What is on the other side of a black hole? With procession down the scale through the subatomic levels to the pure unified field and to pure consciousness how does all this universe manifest from pure consciousness. How does all this work? Black holes, event horizons, time, space. How grand is the multiverse? Is there one consciousness for each universe or is it so so immense and infinitely awesome, indescribable and endlessly creative that all you can do is let it pull you into the infinite abyss of pure love and go on for ever and ever and ever with no end?

Oh and as far as kenpo.. I seek less gaps and always have..

Happy new year guys..

Bob

January 1st, 2012, 4:11 pm #9

Well, although I'm not commercially teaching for now (only my family), I did manage to survive and even learn another year with Clyde. Merging Kenpo concepts with my firearms curriculum has been a big one also.

As someone who has used and still uses his Kenpo regularly, I depend on it in order to go back home alive. To me, this is not about ego or trophies, it's about whether I get to see my wife & kids again or not. That's life in the Border Patrol.

Mike (can I call you Mike?), I started in the martial arts back in '81. I've never stopped. I always thought of myself as "very competent" MAist. My original Kenpo instructor brought AK to Puerto Rico back in the late 80's and he did his best to give us the best Kenpo he could. For that and being a much needed father figure for many of us, I'm always grateful. I thought my Kenpo was pretty good, after all, I made it to 4th right? Then two years ago I met Clyde.

Clyde didn't pet my "emotional puppy". He was blunt, harsh and maybe even [gasp] mean. But being an old Army veteran, I sucked in my pride because, it's for my own good. This, like the firearms that I teach, is a war-art; not freakin' ballet. We're learning how to survive an attempt on our very lives and not only come out alive but maybe even victorious. Suck it up! We're warriors! Not monks trying to achieve enlightenment or total spiritual creaminess BS. I'm pretty sure I've had tears in my eyes of sheer anger and frustration but that has served to ingrained the lesson even deeper. But you know what? I do the same when I teach firearms! Why? Because I take it THAT seriously.

I've been guilty also of looking elsewhere for what I thought AK lacked; ive been a "kenpophobe". I've met great people who, like me, came looking for something more (Sami).

For this new year I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing and getting better. I'm also gonna bring what I've learned to my next visit to PR and, I hope, that the kenpoists there have an open mind and, like I did, be willing to take a slice of humble pie.

Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman

January 1st, 2012, 4:47 pm #10

Pay the penalty LOL. Who luvz ya bro?

Have a great gun carryin' (yes, a Glock 21 and Keltec P3AT bug) Kenpo day

Clyde