As the instructor,

As the instructor,

February 27th, 2011, 2:55 am #1

Would you encourage a student to compete in point sparring if that student was a kidney recipient?

Would you even allow that student to participate in your sparring class?

Clark

February 27th, 2011, 3:07 pm #2

It is one of those things where... it might be safe, but with the post op fragility, and the posdsibility of things going wrong, and wahts involved in addressing the issue if things DO go wrong... liability waiver or not, do you wanna have on your page of history, Oh yeah... did I tell you about the time I had a student die/lose substantial quality of life from a kidney shot in sparring class?"

February 27th, 2011, 4:21 pm #3

Would you encourage a student to compete in point sparring if that student was a kidney recipient?

Clark
I was at a seminar, very long days and lots of activity...Kidney replacement person was there, knew own limitations...Sparring was not on menu...

Many times they don't put the kidney in original location, vulnerable to attack... Just really a bad idea, IMHO...

Gary

February 27th, 2011, 4:26 pm #4

is in the front of the abdomen.

Within the legal target areas of point sparring competition rules.

What price integrity and human life?

Clark

February 27th, 2011, 5:24 pm #5

It is one of those things where... it might be safe, but with the post op fragility, and the posdsibility of things going wrong, and wahts involved in addressing the issue if things DO go wrong... liability waiver or not, do you wanna have on your page of history, Oh yeah... did I tell you about the time I had a student die/lose substantial quality of life from a kidney shot in sparring class?"
Pretty much sums it up!!! nothing to see here moving along!!!

Good Journey,
Todd Durgan

February 27th, 2011, 6:49 pm #6

is in the front of the abdomen.

Within the legal target areas of point sparring competition rules.

What price integrity and human life?

Clark
I have often over the years (after talking to person at seminar) thought about, how just a simple accident in a vehicle, that would not bother others could cause great harm (because of seat belts) to those who have had a kidney transplant...

Be very important for the person who has had the operation, not have something crossing over the kidney...

Gary

February 27th, 2011, 7:28 pm #7

and even then I think that is not a very good justification for not finding an adaptation that protects while still being a seat belt. Now apply that thought to point sparring.

Clark

February 27th, 2011, 8:09 pm #8

Padding is a good idea for both occasions...Special equipment in a vehicle would be a good investment...Just like the special padding used in Muay Thai training that was pretty much needed, where in many Kenpo locations, they just beat on the students...Thought that made them tougher...

LOL
Regards,
Gary

February 28th, 2011, 1:28 am #9

a knowledgable physician should be consulted. One who actually knows something about renal surgery. Like a surgeon. Ya think?

February 28th, 2011, 2:05 pm #10

Clark
Allow to participate in Tournaments,No, to even ask is to acknowledge the risk. To allow him to spar in your school padded up against your top student who would be well aware of the situation of their fellow student, would seemed ok but as Lobsang pointed out medical advice must be sought. To cover yourself from any possible problem the relevant insurance company must be notified
Liability/accountabilty in the event of any accident despite all precautions must be clear. There is only a problem when there is a problem. I wish your student well.

Tony Dunne