any suggestions

any suggestions

June 26th, 2008, 3:48 pm #1

I am in the Navy and currently stationed in an area of zero Ed Parker Kenpo schools. I have, however, the entire system in written format. I am currently a 3rd Degree Brown belt, and have been stagnated in my advancement in the system due to no instructors in area and high Operational Commitments. Any suggestions to assist in my Kenpo advancement?
v/r
Karl

June 26th, 2008, 3:52 pm #2

I have a perfect solution for you, but it requires a little creativity and the right person to help you.
You have access to the internet, and if you can find an instructor, preferably from your organization that will be willing to video lessons for you and allow you to video back so they can give feedback, I think that will be the closest thing you will have to best hands on instruction without having an actual instructor there with you.

Think outside the box!!

June 26th, 2008, 4:31 pm #3

I am in the Navy and currently stationed in an area of zero Ed Parker Kenpo schools. I have, however, the entire system in written format. I am currently a 3rd Degree Brown belt, and have been stagnated in my advancement in the system due to no instructors in area and high Operational Commitments. Any suggestions to assist in my Kenpo advancement?
v/r
Karl
I would simply find a school of another system that taught really good stuff. Maybe like a shotokan school or a good hapkido school or whatever. maybe a boxing school. And if you wanted you could dtudy some kenpo vids as well. There are a lot of things out there that can make your kenpo better but are not kenpo.

June 26th, 2008, 4:41 pm #4

Boy that is for sure, the one that comes to mind is a well rounded FMA class. FMA has it all, all the arts are in it. Including bows and blowguns if you studied with me LOL...........

Gary

June 26th, 2008, 6:06 pm #5

If you really wanted to stay with the kenpo system, there are very good training dvds out there such as Sean Kelley's Insites to American Kenpo, Jeff Speakmans 5.0 or Larry Tatums dvd. All will lead you in the right direction. Just make contact with instructor that you choose and ask questions for distant learning. you are not a new-comer to kenpo so I am sure you shouldnt have a problem learning. I have seen all the videos and you can learn from all of them. Good Luck ,
---C.I.

June 26th, 2008, 6:11 pm #6

v/r
Karl
Start your own club and work on perfecting the material you have by teaching it to others and create your own support group. You will grow with in your self in the mean time. When its time to move on you can choose to have anyone want flown in with the support of your club. Trejo

June 26th, 2008, 8:47 pm #7

What he said.

David Strobel
Minnesota Kenpo Karate Studio

June 26th, 2008, 11:04 pm #8

If you really wanted to stay with the kenpo system, there are very good training dvds out there such as Sean Kelley's Insites to American Kenpo, Jeff Speakmans 5.0 or Larry Tatums dvd. All will lead you in the right direction. Just make contact with instructor that you choose and ask questions for distant learning. you are not a new-comer to kenpo so I am sure you shouldnt have a problem learning. I have seen all the videos and you can learn from all of them. Good Luck ,
---C.I.
I agree, There are many DVD instructional vids out there that are very informative. I would stay in our system until you get your black belt before entering into another art. At least that's what was expected of me.You might want to contact Master Bob White, he has some dvd's that are very easy to understand with no short cuts from basics. Good luck !

June 27th, 2008, 4:10 am #9

v/r
Karl
We do a distance program for DVDs where you can train, get training from us whenever possible, and keep up the training. Many of our brown belts and even lower have started clubs and groups to keep them on their toes.

Joshua Meredith
Universal Kenpo Karate Regional Director

June 27th, 2008, 5:55 pm #10

v/r
Karl
Nothing more than agreement and a reiteration of some previous comments.

Armed with a complete syllabus and practical experience, as evidenced by your current level, you have all the tools for advancement at your disposal. You can only add to your training by the inclusion of a student. This is perhaps the most important element. Practice learning by teaching.