A quick morsel to chew on... (i.e. Training Time query)

A quick morsel to chew on... (i.e. Training Time query)

November 9th, 2007, 7:41 am #1

As a curiosity, I ask...

How much time should be invested to become proficient enough in Kenpo to defend yourself?

And how much time to become a Black belt?

(I ask for reasonable estimates. Figures would take investigation and analysis to confirm.)

This has been asked before... yet it has been answered in terms of months and years...

This question is in actual training time... in hours.

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado

November 9th, 2007, 12:58 pm #2

time waits for no man

November 9th, 2007, 4:47 pm #3

As a curiosity, I ask...

How much time should be invested to become proficient enough in Kenpo to defend yourself?

(I ask for reasonable estimates. Figures would take investigation and analysis to confirm.)

This has been asked before... yet it has been answered in terms of months and years...

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado
If you don't leave the first 1 hour class/private/training whatever without 1 thing that has made you better at defending yourself then shame on the instructor.

I like the old Texas Hold Em Saying... takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master.
As far as how much time to become Black belt I dont think I can answer that.
When I started Kenpo I had tons of physical Sports experience, and Practical Street Fighting Experience, and was able to transfer alot of knowledge from those things to my Kenpo learning, and learned quicker then most. I probably coulde have tested much quicker for my Black Belt if Testing at my school was done on a person to person basis, but we have pre scheduled tests and you are either ready to test, or you are not ready to test.
Some people start and have serious issues with just standing straight, or knowing their left from their right. These people may never have the ability to reach Black Belt even with Dozens of years of training.
I personally, probably because its all I have ever known, like a prescheduled testing system to allow students to train at a pace they are comfortable with, and give them something to continually push for.
We do Beginning level tests every three months, intermediate every 4 months, advanced every 6 months, and Black Belt once a year. Not everyone tests every test, some do, so given the set up the way we have it the quickest possible a person can get their Black Belt is 4 years, and that would require them to have started at the right time, and never missed a test, and be a quick learner, in 23 years open noone has done that. The quickest was one of the first people My instructor promoted and he did it in 4 1/2 years, and that was in 1991 I believe, and it is well known how hard he trained and taught at the school, everyday. I believe the average at our school of those that have made it to Black belt level is close to 6 1/2 years.
Hope that helps answer the question, Like I said people are too different to give you an X amount, or an hourly amount, I think Mr. Parker wrote somewhere it was like 350ish hours give or take.. I always thought this number was fairly low, if I can find where I read that I will post it... EDIT.. I was unable to find where this number in hours came from, so I have to edit it to say I think that I read or heard a number of 350ish hours was given as a base from Mr. Parker at some point. I will change this If I happen to run across it somewhere.
Last edited by LuckyKBoxer on November 9th, 2007, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 10th, 2007, 2:46 pm #4

As a curiosity, I ask...

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado
How long to BB?
I think James Hawkins is probably about the fastest to black belt on this forum. That's in years, not necessarily time on the mat. He's been challenged on it several times but there are plenty of guys who've trained with him that will attest to the fact that he's the real deal. I don't think he would qualify as average, though.

On the other end of the spectrum, I started in Kenpo in 1973 and finally earned my BB last year. For a huge chunk of that time, I was in the Air Force, moving around with no opportunity to advance. Many of those years, I simply remained proficient. I have a lot of years IN kenpo but not so many AT kenpo. So, I'm guessing it would be somewhere between 2 and 34 years, depending on the level of effort and dedication.

How long to be able to defend yourself? Against whom would be a good question. I felt that I was able to defend myself pretty well by the time I earned my purple - 6 months or so. After that, it's a matter of who you are defending yourself against, what kind of training or weapon they may have.

So many variables.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com