A question on long 4

A question on long 4

April 3rd, 2012, 11:17 am #1

I posed a question in relation to the move between the Protecting fans Techniques of Long 4 ,the answers I received were interesting they gave me a few interpretations other than mine. I would appreciate what you guys and ladies perform this move against, the moveI am refering to is the double punch that crosses over one another in front of you.

Tony Dunne

April 17th, 2012, 1:48 am #2

That move could be used, but in reality, there is no practical usage in a real world self-defense situation.

April 17th, 2012, 12:51 pm #3

Thanks Mr Miller for sharing your view, I was hoping a few more guys would have shared.

April 17th, 2012, 2:28 pm #4

Of course that is just my opinion. I look at it as completing a circle - or category completion. If you look at obscure claws you have the right punch (which locks his arm). If you look at securing the storm you have the left (which locks his arm). The part of form 4 that you are speaking of does the right and the left at the same time to complete the circle. Could it be practical? Possible, but I wouldn't attempt it. Just my view.
Last edited by millhouse23 on April 17th, 2012, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2012, 7:09 am #5

I posed a question in relation to the move between the Protecting fans Techniques of Long 4 ,the answers I received were interesting they gave me a few interpretations other than mine. I would appreciate what you guys and ladies perform this move against, the moveI am refering to is the double punch that crosses over one another in front of you.

Tony Dunne
well, it's tied to the arm motions (blocks) that precede the punches and ther punches that cross in front of you.

If you know what you are doing when you land to the horse facing 12, then you might understand that those twin diagonally upward/outward punches hit two opponents who were grabbing frpm 3 and 9. From that point, both of your arms hook over/under the left and right arms of the attackers, cross your arms doing two inverted punches to the, oh I'm gonna say, their ribs. Maybe the faces, I'm a little foggy on this right now.

Like LF2, multiple strikes but against two attackers from 3 and 9.

Clark
WE ARE BORG...
end transmission...

April 18th, 2012, 7:10 am #6

That move could be used, but in reality, there is no practical usage in a real world self-defense situation.
I beg to differ. The apple rolls, and rolls, and rolls...

CD

April 18th, 2012, 2:48 pm #7

...if you think you can pull it off, I'm not going to stop you. Opinions vary.

April 19th, 2012, 4:47 am #8

well, it's tied to the arm motions (blocks) that precede the punches and ther punches that cross in front of you.

If you know what you are doing when you land to the horse facing 12, then you might understand that those twin diagonally upward/outward punches hit two opponents who were grabbing frpm 3 and 9. From that point, both of your arms hook over/under the left and right arms of the attackers, cross your arms doing two inverted punches to the, oh I'm gonna say, their ribs. Maybe the faces, I'm a little foggy on this right now.

Like LF2, multiple strikes but against two attackers from 3 and 9.

Clark
WE ARE BORG...
end transmission...
....go and open up to page 119 in the book 'Secrets of Chinese Karate' and take a close look at what is there....and study it, then conclude your thoughts to the whole theme of Form 4 with what it is teaching....enjoy the Journey!

..For Every Move, Principle, Concept and definition there is an opposite/reverse....

TCB....Sean Kelley

April 19th, 2012, 6:59 am #9

as though you are telling the reader to think what you want them to think.

"....and study it, then conclude your thoughts to the whole theme of Form 4 with what it is teaching....enjoy the Journey!"

conclude your thoughts? duh duh duh dut duh duh dut duh duh... (did you just grab a laser bolt out of the air?!?!?!?!?!?!?)

I do not have the book available right now.

Who said anything about a theme?
"Like LF2, multiple strikes but against two attackers from 3 and 9."
Does anyone else see that as describing a theme for the form?

Tomorrow I will reference page 119 of SOCK, I always try it before I buy it on Kenponet.

Clark

April 19th, 2012, 4:54 pm #10

Though I learned Long4 in the middle 70s when it was known as form 6,the forms arrived years before the explanations of what the forms contained. When I eventually changed to Mr Parkers revised syllabus that move was explained as double thrust punches to 3 and 9 returning crossing right over left to strike opponents with uppercut punches.

The upper cut punches could just as easily be explained as double arm breaks against opponents at 3 and 9.

If you think maybe the moves could be an attack from an opponent from 3oC with a kick punch combination,
you have your right downward block followed by a right outward block, a right thrust punch, a left upper cut punch, as you deliver this punch take youright hand toward your left shoulder circuling back with a claw strike to your opponent, in the form you perform right and left at the same time.

When you open this door theres a lot of varations that could be applied we all agree on that.
To study a lot of different variations of our forms as is now possible with utube etc some delete that double punch. I would like to known exactly when Mr Parker settled on these moves, what did he have in mind so who was there that can tell us. Mr Mitchel does this form without this move, Mr Parker is doing the voice over on his video. Did Mr Parker alter this form after 1985. This is not esential its in the catagory of nice to know.
Thanks guys for the input

Honour and Respect

Tony Dunne
Last edited by tonydunne on April 19th, 2012, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.