A challenge to Kenpoists

A challenge to Kenpoists

January 25th, 2008, 5:48 pm #1

In my opinion, the KenpoNet (or any other Kenpo forum for that matter) has the potential to allow Kenpoists of all ranks right across the globe to grow, learn, exhange ideas, and maybe even meet some new friends along the way. Ed Parker left us with, in my opinion, the greatest art in existence today, and for that, we should all be grateful.

Unfortunately, pride has got in the way, and too often posts are about shooting down one's skill, but most of all - character, faith-system, instructor, and so on. Vulgar and obscene language has become frequent, even from so-called high-ranking Kenpo black belts. Sorry if I get slammed for this, but what a joke. Anyone who can be found cosistently shooting down others with name-calling and vulgar language (especially if they have never even met the person), is insecure about his/her abilities, plain and simple. And, to bring good old rank into the issue, is wearing a belt of dishonour. I challenge everyone who agrees with me on this issue to come on this thread and post your agreement (please not just a personal email to me thanking me for the good post).

If one of my black belts wrote some of the things I read on forums, he/she would be given ONE WARNING. If it happened a second time, asta la vista.

A black belt should be about humility, integrity, self-control, and perseverance. And for everyone who so chooses to shoot down another's video, that is your freedom; but please critique the KENPO, not the INDIVIDUAL or who he is as a person.

I also challenge you to post some videos of YOURSELF up there, so that the Kenpo world can view how your Kenpo looks.

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

January 25th, 2008, 6:01 pm #2

..good points and I got enough videos up so I hope I qualify. What brought this on buddy?

James Hawkins III, SI
Hawkins Kenpo Ju Jitsu
Baltimore, MD
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kenpojujitsu3
http://www.myspace.com/kenpojames
410-948-1440

January 25th, 2008, 6:19 pm #3

In my opinion, the KenpoNet (or any other Kenpo forum for that matter) has the potential to allow Kenpoists of all ranks right across the globe to grow, learn, exhange ideas, and maybe even meet some new friends along the way. Ed Parker left us with, in my opinion, the greatest art in existence today, and for that, we should all be grateful.

Unfortunately, pride has got in the way, and too often posts are about shooting down one's skill, but most of all - character, faith-system, instructor, and so on. Vulgar and obscene language has become frequent, even from so-called high-ranking Kenpo black belts. Sorry if I get slammed for this, but what a joke. Anyone who can be found cosistently shooting down others with name-calling and vulgar language (especially if they have never even met the person), is insecure about his/her abilities, plain and simple. And, to bring good old rank into the issue, is wearing a belt of dishonour. I challenge everyone who agrees with me on this issue to come on this thread and post your agreement (please not just a personal email to me thanking me for the good post).

If one of my black belts wrote some of the things I read on forums, he/she would be given ONE WARNING. If it happened a second time, asta la vista.

A black belt should be about humility, integrity, self-control, and perseverance. And for everyone who so chooses to shoot down another's video, that is your freedom; but please critique the KENPO, not the INDIVIDUAL or who he is as a person.

I also challenge you to post some videos of YOURSELF up there, so that the Kenpo world can view how your Kenpo looks.

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

Sounds good to me.

January 25th, 2008, 6:21 pm #4

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

I appreciate the effort to clean up the forums and whole heartedly agree. Maybe I am a pessimist, but every three months or so someone posts a similar message to little avail. Either way, change begins with the few who are willing to make a commitment. I'm with you.

Oh, and videos, albeit few, of me are on Youtube. Search for Sublevel four kenpo...

January 25th, 2008, 6:23 pm #5

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

"In my opinion, the KenpoNet (or any other Kenpo forum for that matter) has the potential to allow Kenpoists of all ranks right across the globe to grow, learn, exhange ideas, and maybe even meet some new friends along the way. Ed Parker left us with, in my opinion, the greatest art in existence today, and for that, we should all be grateful. "

I agree 100% here.

"Unfortunately, pride has got in the way, and too often posts are about shooting down one's skill, but most of all - character, faith-system, instructor, and so on. Vulgar and obscene language has become frequent, even from so-called high-ranking Kenpo black belts. Sorry if I get slammed for this, but what a joke. Anyone who can be found cosistently shooting down others with name-calling and vulgar language (especially if they have never even met the person), is insecure about his/her abilities, plain and simple. And, to bring good old rank into the issue, is wearing a belt of dishonour. I challenge everyone who agrees with me on this issue to come on this thread and post your agreement (please not just a personal email to me thanking me for the good post). "

I have mixed feelings here.. I am not a high ranking Black Belt, but I sometimes have used Vulgar language, and usually after the fact regret having done so, but such is life, and I am passionate about what I do, and get upset and react before allowing myself to cool down at time. I have never bashed anyones faith system though and wouldn't. I have and will question some instructors out there based on what I have personally seen, and continue to see, and everyone who looks at them sees the same... I will question Character when I see someone do something that is against what they say and claim. I think you have a good point here, but I think you go to far in wanting to protect everyone, especially when there are many who claim something and do something else, why shouldn't they be brought up on it? This is our art, and we should question what we see that doesn't make sense.

"If one of my black belts wrote some of the things I read on forums, he/she would be given ONE WARNING. If it happened a second time, asta la vista.

A black belt should be about humility, integrity, self-control, and perseverance. And for everyone who so chooses to shoot down another's video, that is your freedom; but please critique the KENPO, not the INDIVIDUAL or who he is as a person. "

I commend you on having standards and the conviction to make the right choice to stand by your standards if someone under you makes a choice you don't agree with. I think there are unfortunately too many out there that are more interested in what is easy, then what is right.
I don't necessarily agree with your opinion of what a Black Belt should be. If all Black Belts were truely humble there would be no red in Kenpo. If all Black Belts had integrity we wouldn't have the questions about rank chasing, or undeserved ranks, if all Black Belts had self-control we wouldn't have any arguements on the internet, or real life, and everyone would still be in the IKKA in kenpo. If all Black Belts had perseverence then all of the above that I said would be true and we would have a strong unified family. Unfortunately Shangrila does not exist, but it is good to have ambitions, and I think its a good set of values to strive for. I know I could benefit from a little more Humility, I feel I have a very strong Integrity, more self control would be good too, and I have a strong perseverence. so half way there I guess.
Also as far as commenting on the kenpo and not the person in videos, I know I am partially guilty of this in two cases, but In both I was so overwhelmed by the many many issues in the videos it was just too much trouble trying too point it all out. And my comments were basically in general about their kenpo, not them as people.

"I also challenge you to post some videos of YOURSELF up there, so that the Kenpo world can view how your Kenpo looks. "

If all goes well I will test for my third Black this August. In our school that is the final bit of written curriculum requirements. I will be happy to shoot some video after I test, and get critique. I will post my forms, and I will post bodywork, my strength is bodywork, meaning techniques on the body, and sparring.

Last edited by LuckyKBoxer on January 25th, 2008, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 25th, 2008, 6:23 pm #6

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

That's not a challenge. It's a decree. I have yet to see faith and character be criticized on this board or any other unless it is first brought up by the offended individual. I may be corrected but that's how it reads most times.

I really get what your saying but you forget your own tenets when you say it. Vulgar and obscene are subjective terms. A Kenpo instructor is not the morality police. If you choose to live your life with humility, integrity, self-control and perseverance then you set that example. You can dictate respect in your school. You can even mandate a code of conduct. Good luck with that. Your best bet at influencing those values in others is by simply living that way. The folks with convictions counter to yours have just as valid a reason to live their way as you do yours.

So someone you train who doesn't go to church and uses heavy handed language to argue a point but gives to charity and takes care of their family is out the door? It's this kind of close mindedness that has put us in the sad state of affairs we are in now.

As far as the Kenpo critique. You've probably looked at other arts and thought "that's not what I want to do." When someone in Kenpo looks at someone else doing something they call Kenpo and it looks nothing like what they do. Violates principles, looks ineffective, etc. They will not only think "that's not what I want." They will say "don't call that Kenpo." If they are passionate about the art they will say it loudly. It is to be expected just as it is to be expected that those being critiqued will defend their position. Ultimately it will be solved. or not, on the mat. Not here through these discussions. People will still talk, however.

So now, as usually occurs with these discussions, counter with heinous examples of bad language and childish behavior and ask me if I choose to support it. I will, just as I will support a persons right to claim the moral high ground when they have no basis for doing so.

Voltaire said: "I may not agree with what you have to say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it."

If we all truly felt this way all of the above points would be moot.

Thanks!
Craig Tavis RPh

but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dennis Miller

January 25th, 2008, 6:26 pm #7

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

Jamie,

You know how I feel about this subject. Although my faith is strong, I don't see certain individuals changing their ways. I look at it this way: So many people view this site and see how people act. The people acting foolishly are exposing their own insecurities and digging themselves a hole that will be next to impossible to climb out of.

Stay strong, my friend.

Yours,

Michael Miller, CKF

January 25th, 2008, 6:29 pm #8

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

I will take your challenge Jamie as my friend and brother in Kenpo. I just hate it when these childish kenpo guys critique in a negative way, rather than unite. It is so sad! I will do my best to refrain from offering my opinion...

Henry Agri

January 25th, 2008, 7:22 pm #9

Jamie Seabrook
www.jamieseabrook.com

I agree Jamie...

just one more thing for those of you out there. I spoke of pledges before and recited one particular pledge that comes to mind.

I would have to assume that most of us are above 3rd brown and if that is the case then what do you all think of this?

3rd Degree Brown Belt Pledge

"I pledge that as my skill as a teacher progresses I will never condemn, ridicule, embarrass or shame any student or fellow instructor in the presence of a class or group. All grievances or disputes shall be conducted in private away from group observation."

I think that there are certain people on this forum that should really think about this. You know who you are.

respectfully,
Maurice A. Gomez
Last edited by magdesign on January 25th, 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 25th, 2008, 7:29 pm #10

Something to think about anyways. I would consider this to be directly related to my studio, my instructors and lineage, and those I train under, rather then someone not affiliated with me. But you have a point, and I would agree that it while it is not easier it would definitely be more correct to call or contact the people directly and discuss the views with them, rather then do it on the internet in a forum setting.