Yodelin

11:01 PM - Jun 01, 2004 #1

Yodelin continued to operate after the 1971 avalanche. I skied there at least once in the 1972-73 season.

I believe that the avalance hit the residential development they had up there, not the ski facilities. Once the real estate deal was gone, though, there wasn't much point to the ski area (if there was much point to it in the first place, which is debatable). But they did limp along for awhile.

Note that Stevens bought Yodelin's equipment out of bankruptcy in 1976. This suggests that Yodelin was still around until not long before that -- perhaps 1975, or maybe 1974.

9:21 PM - Jun 08, 2004 #2

Yodelin is one area I can find very little information on.  You are probably correct that 1974 is most likely the end date.

Josey Wales
Josey Wales

2:49 PM - Sep 22, 2004 #3

In regards to the location of the avalanche, it was across the highway (Hwy 2) from the Yodelin ski area. This is a residential area. If you need more info please let me know.

Ron
Ron

10:39 PM - Dec 02, 2007 #4

Yodelin continued to operate after the 1971 avalanche. I skied there at least once in the 1972-73 season.

I believe that the avalance hit the residential development they had up there, not the ski facilities. Once the real estate deal was gone, though, there wasn't much point to the ski area (if there was much point to it in the first place, which is debatable). But they did limp along for awhile.

Note that Stevens bought Yodelin's equipment out of bankruptcy in 1976. This suggests that Yodelin was still around until not long before that -- perhaps 1975, or maybe 1974.
The lower Riblet Chair was re-installed at Stevens in 1976 as Tye Mill. New tower bases were installed then the towers were flown directly off their foundations at Yodelin onto to the new bases at Tye Mill except for a couple exceptions. It has since been updated to a triple with a new drive. The upper Yodelin lift was sold to Crystal Mt and installed at High Campbell Basin. A new Riblet drive and was part of that install. The Day Lodge is used by Stevens for employee housing to this date.

7:01 PM - Jan 29, 2008 #5

I was one of the longest people to work at Yodelin. I had to fib about my age, I told the owners Bev and Wendy that I was 14, when I was only 13 at the time. I think they knew but said nothing. I was there until they closed the doors. Hard times right up until the last.

I helped build the second lift (the upper one made by Hall)which took most of the winter. Not the best working conditions, but got built with a lot of help.

I was there the day the avalanche hit the cabins across the road from the area. I knew the folks and kids that lost their lives that day. Because of this life changing experience for a young kid, I got interested in avalanche's. I am now the supervisor of Avalanche Control for the Washington State DOT. and ready to retire.

I would never give up any of the time I spent at the area. Bev and Wendy are great people that treated me like one of their kids. Yep, I got chewed out when I had it coming, but they never held a grudge. Great folks.

2:31 AM - Feb 01, 2008 #6

You wouldn't happen to have any photo's of the old days at Yodelin you'd like to share, would ya? So far I have yet to find any photo's, trailmaps, or anything from that area.

Jack

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Gabriel
Gabriel

9:14 AM - Mar 11, 2008 #7

First, check out Yodelin.org for old pictures (but they are of the tragic avalanche)...

Second... Does ANYONE know the original names of the two lifts? I'm doing a bit of a history of the area and would love to include these.

Thanks...

Gabriel
sun.down@hotmail.com

Gabriel
Gabriel

9:15 AM - Mar 11, 2008 #8

I was one of the longest people to work at Yodelin. I had to fib about my age, I told the owners Bev and Wendy that I was 14, when I was only 13 at the time. I think they knew but said nothing. I was there until they closed the doors. Hard times right up until the last.

I helped build the second lift (the upper one made by Hall)which took most of the winter. Not the best working conditions, but got built with a lot of help.

I was there the day the avalanche hit the cabins across the road from the area. I knew the folks and kids that lost their lives that day. Because of this life changing experience for a young kid, I got interested in avalanche's. I am now the supervisor of Avalanche Control for the Washington State DOT. and ready to retire.

I would never give up any of the time I spent at the area. Bev and Wendy are great people that treated me like one of their kids. Yep, I got chewed out when I had it coming, but they never held a grudge. Great folks.
Hi,

Strange question... Do you happen to remember the name of the lifts at Yodelin? Specifically the first one that was built.

Thanks in advance...
Gabriel
sun.down@hotmail.com

2:01 AM - Mar 18, 2008 #9

First, check out Yodelin.org for old pictures (but they are of the tragic avalanche)...

Second... Does ANYONE know the original names of the two lifts? I'm doing a bit of a history of the area and would love to include these.

Thanks...

Gabriel
sun.down@hotmail.com
Thanks for the link to yodelin.org!

http://www.yodelin.org/Yodelin.org/hist ... bnails.htm

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997