Yodelin Ski Area

Yodelin Ski Area

iflyfar
iflyfar

February 8th, 2006, 10:13 pm #1

Anyone have any vintage pics of this area? Its odd that you can find so many vintage pics of crystal, hyak, snoqualmie, etc yet its nearly impossible to find any of Yodelin.

February 9th, 2006, 12:00 am #2

I've been trying to find information on this site since I started the "lost ski areas" site back in 1999. I also find it strange that a popular area on Stevens has no postcards or maps or anything showing up on ebay or elsewhere. I can find a ton of stuff on Mt Pilchuck, but Yodelin is the exact opposite. I've even found more on the Cle Elum ski area then I have for Yodelin....

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

February 11th, 2006, 2:56 am #3

I think that is the reason. The area only operated for maybe 4 seasons... just not enough time for people to develop a passion for the place.

BTW the original day lodge is still right where it was in the 70... there are No Tresspassing signs all over, and it seems to be a residence.

February 12th, 2006, 2:38 am #4

I understood that the Yodlin chair was moved to Stevens and became the Tye Mill lift before being replaced three or four seasons ago.

If you're interested in the Yodelin Village avalanche find a copy of "The snowy Torrents: Avalanche Accidents in the United States 1967-71" by Knox Williams (published by Forest Service / USDA). Yodelin is No. 71-8 on page 141. The avalanche was on the other side of the highway from the ski area and destroyed seven cabins killing four people. Almost exactly a year later there was a second, smaller, avalanche on the same slope that took out two or three more cabins without killing anybody. That one is No. 72-4 in Snowy Torrents 72-79 on page 4. There's some discussion about how stupid it was to build where they did and how folks (including Edward LaChappele) warned the developers and the state that it was a disaster waiting to happen. Eventually some of the land use restrictions for rural areas were instituted to protect foolish people from building in zones of avalanche hazard.

Also - you can still ski Yodelin if you don't mind hiking. Look at Burgdorfer's book "100 classic backcountry ski and snowboard routes in Washington". Yodelin is No. 43 on page 117.
Last edited by GERONIMO6260 on February 12th, 2006, 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Wolfe
Bill Wolfe

February 16th, 2006, 9:21 pm #5

If you go into the bushes to the left of the "old lodge", now a residence, you will find remnents of an old riblet double chairlift (few towers, gearbox, etc). Dont know if these were from Stevens or what...

February 17th, 2006, 8:44 pm #6

I've got an overhead shot of Yodelin, created with "World Wind" software. I think I sent it to you, Jack, some time ago. I can resend it if need be. I don't see any way to post it with this message. It would be great if someone with the knowledge and computer graphics capability could draw the location of the yodelin lifts onto this picture.

Steve Crutchfield
scrutch2001@earthlink.net

February 17th, 2006, 11:34 pm #7

I don't remember seeing this photo, but if you could send that to me it would be great.

ski@hyak.net

Maybe I can find someone who knows where the lifts were to show me and I can draw them in.

Thanks.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

February 25th, 2006, 6:11 pm #8

I have the photo of the overhead. Did anyone here ever ski Yodelin? Looking for someone who could identify where the lifts were located.

Thanks...

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

February 26th, 2006, 2:32 am #9

It's been a long time... but I could try... The upper chair was always my favorite.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

February 26th, 2006, 1:58 pm #10

Is it posted somewhere, or how can I help?