West Opening Day + a qestion about teaching

West Opening Day + a qestion about teaching

November 10th, 2005, 3:10 am #1

After classes today at BCC I took my girlfriend up to West to teach her to board. I figured I might as well teach her on not so great days early season so that I can enjoy the good stuff later. She did 1 run in 1 hour. Good thing we have passes.

Question for everyone:
She couldn't stand up on the board very well and her balance is relatively bad. I had to hold her to even get her to slideslip. Anyone know of things she can do at home to practice balance?

November 10th, 2005, 4:29 am #2

From my experience I just had my wife try and try and try. She eventually got her legs under her and it didn't take too long after that for her to start zip'n down the hill (stopping is something else). One suggestion is DON'T WAX HER BOARD if she is using her own stuff. The slower the board, the easier to learn.... I'm not an expert as far as lessons go, and there may be instructors who will say I'm way off base, but these are my suggestions. I can't think of anything to do at home that could replicate a snowboard on snow.

November 10th, 2005, 6:58 am #3

If balance is an issue, there are numerous balance boards that aren't too expensive, but personally, I'd just go with what you got. Have her stand on one leg for 30 seconds, knee slightly bent. If that gets easy, have her stand on a cushion, same thing. If that gets easy, have her stand on a cushion - eyes closed - same thing. Alternate legs, of course.

That might help a bit (but try it yourself before prescribing it for her), but I'm with Jack in that just practice, practice, practice is best. A lesson wouldn't hurt at all either. Remember: Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Make sure that what she's doing on the hill is correct so she doesn't develop bad habits.

Good luck!

Moses
Moses

November 10th, 2005, 8:29 pm #4

Get your skateboard out - see if she can stand on that. If that fails find a new girlfriend.

November 11th, 2005, 1:55 am #5

try constructive advice!

TomK
TomK

November 11th, 2005, 4:51 pm #6

If balance is an issue, there are numerous balance boards that aren't too expensive, but personally, I'd just go with what you got. Have her stand on one leg for 30 seconds, knee slightly bent. If that gets easy, have her stand on a cushion, same thing. If that gets easy, have her stand on a cushion - eyes closed - same thing. Alternate legs, of course.

That might help a bit (but try it yourself before prescribing it for her), but I'm with Jack in that just practice, practice, practice is best. A lesson wouldn't hurt at all either. Remember: Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Make sure that what she's doing on the hill is correct so she doesn't develop bad habits.

Good luck!
The progression for one-legged stands I learned in physical therapy was 30 seconds, 3 reps, switching from leg to leg. 2 times a day.

1) With a finger touching a table or wall.
2) On the floor with hands out in the air for balance. (Keep them low)
3) Same as 2, but stand on a pillow.
3) Cross arms over chest.
4) Look up at the ceiling.
5) Closed eyes, head level.
6) Closed eyes, head back.
7) Closesd eyes, tilt head left/right.

Once she can stand on one leg with eyes closed for 30 seconds, every 3-4 days add an additional 15 seconds.

The goal is to last until a little bit of wobbling starts. Once it becomes easy, make it tougher. This fires up all the little muscles in the knee, ankle, & hip which is where balance comes from. Basicly you want to enhance the brains abilty to know where the body parts are. It's called proprioception or kinesthesia.

Another exercise you can do together is to stand on one leg about 6-10 feet apart and toss a ball back and forth. Start out with 3 sets of 10 easy tosses directly into the hands. As that gets to be easy, toss it further and further away from the other person's center of mass making them reach out. Add 5 more tosses each week.

Don't neglect stretching afterwards. Quads, hams, abductors (inner thigh), and calves.

Hope that helps.