Tree well safety

Tree well safety

Stack
Stack

March 4th, 2011, 9:46 pm #1

With all the snow we have had and the potential for tree well issues, I thought it might be good for everyone to review this.
Stay safe out there.

http://www.treewelldeepsnowsafety.com/tree_wells.php

Hyaker
Hyaker

March 4th, 2011, 11:07 pm #2

At what point Maureen from Suncrest had been discussing with Hyak Ski Patrol to do a safety class in the lodge for the kids...

Flying Scotsman
Flying Scotsman

March 4th, 2011, 11:21 pm #3

Why lay another one on the ski patrol. If you know and understand the problem how's about taking some personal responsibility and teach your kids about tree wells, the dangers of skiing alone off piste, (as in its a really dumb idea), and how to deal with emergency situations. If you don't understand the problem educate yourself and pass it on to your kids.

March 5th, 2011, 12:06 am #4

It would be good to have something like this printed out and posted inside the lodge for people to read/see. Good common sense information that newbies might not know or think about.

Parent of Hyak Children
Parent of Hyak Children

March 5th, 2011, 12:14 am #5

Why lay another one on the ski patrol. If you know and understand the problem how's about taking some personal responsibility and teach your kids about tree wells, the dangers of skiing alone off piste, (as in its a really dumb idea), and how to deal with emergency situations. If you don't understand the problem educate yourself and pass it on to your kids.
Please understand that we APPRECIATE our wonderful ski patrol! I am a parent who does not know all the answers to my children's questions. I try my best to give educated answers and use many resources to educate myself. Is there a website that the you would recommend in regard to skiing saftey? Also, what can we do as a community to make you feel more appreciated and less " put upon"? I am sorry that we did not fully realize that you were having problems with us. Is this just you -or- is this the collected opinion of most the ski patrollers? We need to address this issue.

Flying Scotsman
Flying Scotsman

March 5th, 2011, 12:50 am #6

I'm not a patroller, just think you can do most of this yourself. Places like REI, the Mountaineers,Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts etc. have numerous classes about outdoor topics, plus plenty of excellent books. Educate yourself and come to the mountains prepared. Learn about avalanches, beacons, tree well suffocation, get the right gear,learn how to use it and maintain it, take ski lessons, whatever it takes. It seems we are always looking for someone else to solve the problem. It can be hard work taking this on but think how much pride you and your kids will have when you come to the mountains with knowledge about the environment you are about to engage.

March 5th, 2011, 2:25 am #7

This is a community website for people to get useful, local information. If you don't want to answer, fine, but don't be a jerk.

Jon Sullivan
Jon Sullivan

March 5th, 2011, 2:34 am #8

I'm not a patroller, just think you can do most of this yourself. Places like REI, the Mountaineers,Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts etc. have numerous classes about outdoor topics, plus plenty of excellent books. Educate yourself and come to the mountains prepared. Learn about avalanches, beacons, tree well suffocation, get the right gear,learn how to use it and maintain it, take ski lessons, whatever it takes. It seems we are always looking for someone else to solve the problem. It can be hard work taking this on but think how much pride you and your kids will have when you come to the mountains with knowledge about the environment you are about to engage.
It takes a Ski Village! We would be happy and are planning to help with the kids ski education that's what we do. The boy and girl scouts give out merit badges and use organizations like the us the NSP to help. Were all on this Mountain together. Ski safe See you on the hill
Jon Sullivan
Past: Hyak Patrol Director Past: NW Region Senior Adviser
NSP # 10030

MK
MK

March 5th, 2011, 2:38 am #9

Please understand that we APPRECIATE our wonderful ski patrol! I am a parent who does not know all the answers to my children's questions. I try my best to give educated answers and use many resources to educate myself. Is there a website that the you would recommend in regard to skiing saftey? Also, what can we do as a community to make you feel more appreciated and less " put upon"? I am sorry that we did not fully realize that you were having problems with us. Is this just you -or- is this the collected opinion of most the ski patrollers? We need to address this issue.
Parent, the best advice I can give anyone regarding tree wells (and other hazards) is to ski with a buddy.
As far as I'm concerned (unless a person is strictly skiing groomers) this covers inbounds terrain as well as the side/back country.
When the snow is deep, it doesn't take much to fall and land in an awkward position that can place a person face down in the snow, and unable to get up under their own power.

While taking a class can also help prepare you and or your children, I really don't see a problem with asking people in your community to help you with the answers. You might be surprised to learn that many of your neighbors are highly skilled in the back country with decades of experience, numerous avalanche training certificates, not to mention also being active members of the S&R community, etc.

Flying Scot
Flying Scot

March 5th, 2011, 3:30 am #10

It takes a Ski Village! We would be happy and are planning to help with the kids ski education that's what we do. The boy and girl scouts give out merit badges and use organizations like the us the NSP to help. Were all on this Mountain together. Ski safe See you on the hill
Jon Sullivan
Past: Hyak Patrol Director Past: NW Region Senior Adviser
NSP # 10030
It takes a ski village, sounds like Hillary care for the Hyak community! Really, the ski patrol is going to hold classes for the public, can't wait. And when some kid skis into the back country armed with and relying on your short course, and gets in trouble, are you going to take responsibility for that too. Hey, it takes a village. While your at it how about giving the nordics lessons on the chair lift, please announce your class schedule so they can all attend. How about getting people to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. I believe if you enable the ignorant you are only hurting their advancement as fully developed human beings, but thats your choice, nanny state on skis. And by the way the Scouting programs have helped many more young men and women become self sufficient, capable individuals than your 'planned' ski village classes ever will. And I believe many of the founding members of the National Ski Patrol were scouts, so why you raggin' on them.