The Day-After Landslide Thread

The Day-After Landslide Thread

January 9th, 2009, 12:44 am #1

Because the original link has become a monster I thought I'd start a new one. Below is a link to a nice video made by a Hyak local.

http://www.vholdr.com/node/8971

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

January 9th, 2009, 4:28 am #2

I almost forgot, when we first headed out this morning to take a tour of the area and we drove up to Norm's place, there were two guys standing there talking. Stack asked one of them something and the guy says something like "I don't know anything". Stack sorta laughed and repeated what the guy said. Then the guy thought better of it and asked if we were residents (I guess he thought maybe media?) and when we said we were he said "Oh, well I saw the whole thing!" Just cracked us up. Anyway, he said he saw the slide as it happened, and that it was so disturbing he shook for the next several hours. We agreed that while we were a little disappointed we had apparently missed it by seconds (just a minute or so), we were a little glad we didn't have that memory burned into our brains either. Guess we were right, I'll bet that guy hasn't slept well yet.

January 9th, 2009, 2:47 pm #3

Because the original link has become a monster I thought I'd start a new one. Below is a link to a nice video made by a Hyak local.

http://www.vholdr.com/node/8971

Well, nothing really new technically, but here's a quote from the DOT's news post for the morning...

"I-90 remains closed from milepost 33 near North Bend to milepost 106 near Ellensburg. WSDOT will assess I-90 roadway conditions later this morning and we are hopeful to open the pass this afternoon. WSDOT and emergency contractor crew Scarsella Brothers are working around the clock to redirect water into ditches, as well as remove snow and debris from the roadway and strengthen damaged shoulders. There are still areas of water on the roadway."

No news on 1610 about any caravans yet this morning.

January 9th, 2009, 3:31 pm #4

per NWCN

confirmed on KOMO:
As floodwaters drop...officials said Interstate 90 over Snoqualmie Pass will reopen Friday morning.

Officials expect the eastbound lanes of Interstate 90 to be open at 9 a.m., and the westbound lanes should be open at noon.
Last edited by StackAndMisha on January 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2009, 4:50 pm #5

If they do as indicated, I'll be up at lunchtime to check on things.

January 9th, 2009, 5:02 pm #6

some friends of ours were in Sundance and happened to look out the window...when the slide let loose. They jumped up an ran out of the building thinking it was going to come right into the condo...hoping to get up and check things out as well! Glad this site is here...thanks Jack!

January 9th, 2009, 5:10 pm #7

per NWCN

confirmed on KOMO:
As floodwaters drop...officials said Interstate 90 over Snoqualmie Pass will reopen Friday morning.

Officials expect the eastbound lanes of Interstate 90 to be open at 9 a.m., and the westbound lanes should be open at noon.
Confirmed: EB is now open <eom>

January 9th, 2009, 5:11 pm #8

per NWCN

confirmed on KOMO:

No more updates from me this morning.

I hope they open WB early. I know the DOT is getting ready just in case. Good luck everyone

Erik
Erik

January 9th, 2009, 6:09 pm #9

some friends of ours were in Sundance and happened to look out the window...when the slide let loose. They jumped up an ran out of the building thinking it was going to come right into the condo...hoping to get up and check things out as well! Glad this site is here...thanks Jack!
Did they happen to say how the event progressed? Did it fail as a slab (all at once) or in sections or some other way?

mel
mel

January 9th, 2009, 6:13 pm #10

I would also like to know. It would be really interesting to understand exactly what happened.