TAS Behavior

TAS Behavior

TASSER
TASSER

December 14th, 2010, 7:06 pm #1

So, TAS also trains at West, Aplental regularly and the complaints seem to come from HYAK. It is hard to believe that the kids ski and behave differently. I think not!!!!

Jay
Jay

December 14th, 2010, 7:16 pm #2

I was surprised to hear that the director retired due to health problems. I assume we are talking about Jacque. I hope he is all right. Both of my kids went through the TAS program and became excellent skiers. The program had its faults but the kids learned how to ski! One of my kids was just accepted onto the Jackson Hole Ski School. One of approx. 50 out of 200 who tried for a position. Much of the credit was given to the training and technical skiing skills that were taught by Jacque and his staff. And as a side note the TAS program was well known by the professional instructing staff at that resort. My best to Jacque and his family.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

December 14th, 2010, 7:25 pm #3

So, TAS also trains at West, Aplental regularly and the complaints seem to come from HYAK. It is hard to believe that the kids ski and behave differently. I think not!!!!
The average guest seems to dislike the average racer at the average mountain. Why? The kids are in a hurry (both to get down the mountain and to get back up), they are on fancy, new gear, they can (sometimes) have a certain attitude about them. AND it is scary to get passed at high rates of speed, and even scarier to watch a young child passed at MACH 5.

When I was a kid (in the '70s), we got a lot of complaints. Later (as an instructor then a coach), I tried my best to school my charges on proper behavior.

Racers are easy to identify, so they are an easy target. Just like snowboarders once were. Just like PowderPigs are now.

Skiing and snowboarding are high-risk sports by their very nature. Those who are out on the mountains a lot are comfortable with the risks, and take more of them. The average person who is up on the hill much less (and is much less skilled) is threatened by the high speeds and other behaviors.

There are some on this board who really would like Hyak to themselves. They are (in my opinion) Luddites who are opposed to change. I believe the area would be shut down if their ideas were followed.

I hear similar complaints from old-timers at Crystal: kids ski too fast, the gondola is a joke, why have a nice restaurant at the top... on and on... why do you think it took 25 years for White Pass to expand?

Oh well, I will just smile and ski on!

Obi Wan
Obi Wan

December 14th, 2010, 7:33 pm #4

Alas Mr Tasser...you should check the validity of your statements before posting them...when Hyak suffered its closure...and the TAS program found its way to the other hills for "freeskiing" there were complaints there as well.

As many have said...it is not the kids...it is the instructors and it is probably safe to assume it is not ALL of there instructors...but unfortunately...one or two represents the whole...in our minds.

I believe I speak for many on this forum...have the director meet us in the lodge...we would all enjoy having a conversation with him/her if the opportunity presented itself.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

December 14th, 2010, 8:04 pm #5

Do you call the guy running your kid's baseball team an instructor? Do you yell "You stupid ref" at the umpire at a baseball game? I hope not. I think you will get further with the TAS coaches if you refer to them as coaches. Ski Racing is a fairly high-level sport, and "coach" is their proper title. To call them "instructors" will start the conversation on the wrong foot, and make you appear both a little ignorant and disrespectful.

Just a suggestion.

EdS
EdS

December 14th, 2010, 8:57 pm #6

My main complaint is them roping off so much of the face, which is not needed, and doing it every weekend. Its not like Hyak has tons of trails like that so to take over so much just doesnt seem right. I raced at a high level for over 10yrs in New England at Pico, Okemo & Stratton as a kid and we never took over trails like they do at Hyak for training. It probably wont be as bad now the lift is out of that area and more of the face is usable, but still they should to try to narrow down there use area or just get rid of that damn barrier they put up. Or maybe shift around and use some of the other trails instead of the same one.

The obnoxious behavior doesnt bother me that much as I was one of those "a-holes" way back when (may still be one actually!)so I understand it a bit and just ignore that. I am actually suprised they have as many kids as they do as alpine skiing is somewhat of a dying sport.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

December 14th, 2010, 9:11 pm #7

I don't remember any barriers back in the day for training. The Summit has VERY strict requirements on bannering now. It has to be a certain material, certain amount of setback, certain height etc. I am often up at Central at night and they come by every time we are there to make sure we are in compliance. If not, we get an extended lecture and a call to the director.

Hopefully the area will be wider this year so that the friction will be less.

EdS
EdS

December 14th, 2010, 9:14 pm #8

I had a feeling it was some sort of liability thing with the barrier, just a sign of the times i guess. If thats the case I guess they have no choice but put it up.

Flying Scotsman
Flying Scotsman

December 14th, 2010, 9:23 pm #9

I don't remember any barriers back in the day for training. The Summit has VERY strict requirements on bannering now. It has to be a certain material, certain amount of setback, certain height etc. I am often up at Central at night and they come by every time we are there to make sure we are in compliance. If not, we get an extended lecture and a call to the director.

Hopefully the area will be wider this year so that the friction will be less.
He is correct. TAS is required by area management as to how to set up their training area. It comes down to risk management and all of the legal stuff that a ski area deals with. As I recall the big complaints come when the management does not groom the face of Hyak wide enough to allow both recreational skiers and racers enough room, and then everyone gets pissed off. Thats where a good relationship with the team coaches could make a big difference. Both parties need to work together to make sure the hill is groomed properly. Call management and demand better grooming. Personally I think they will groom a lot more than normal this year. If that happens most of the conflicts will be toned down.

December 14th, 2010, 9:43 pm #10

Alas Mr Tasser...you should check the validity of your statements before posting them...when Hyak suffered its closure...and the TAS program found its way to the other hills for "freeskiing" there were complaints there as well.

As many have said...it is not the kids...it is the instructors and it is probably safe to assume it is not ALL of there instructors...but unfortunately...one or two represents the whole...in our minds.

I believe I speak for many on this forum...have the director meet us in the lodge...we would all enjoy having a conversation with him/her if the opportunity presented itself.
We are hearing the complaints from Hyak because there is a Hyak forum to post such complaints. When Alpental, West or Central get their own website and forum then maybe we will hear it over there.....

I've voiced my opinion as I have for many years and most everyone else has had their chance. Maybe it will be better if the folks in charge of TAS get word of their kids reputations and they give a damn about perception, that would be a good thing. This forum has had influence on issues in the past and maybe it will help here as well.

Think it is time we all move on? Lets wait and see if it is an issue this year......