Snowboarder dies at Alpental

December 8th, 2005, 5:18 pm #1

Be careful out there!

------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 8, 2005 · Last updated 6:22 a.m. PT

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SNOQUALMIE PASS, Wash. -- A snowboarder has died from an accident on a closed run at the Alpental ski area, officials said.

The 30-year-old man was reported missing by friends after he failed to meet them when the lift closed Wednesday night, and he was later found unconscious in a tree well, a hole in the snow at the base of a tree, Alpental spokesman Jon Pretty said.

The man was pronounced dead after being flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

It was the second death this season at ski areas in the state. A skier went over a cliff Nov. 27 at Mount Baker.

TomK
TomK

December 8th, 2005, 8:33 pm #2

Closed Run, No partner while in the trees that have large tree wells and light fluffy snow that fills in afterwards.
Non-survival of the stupid.
(I know this is cold, but it happens every year.)

IF you go off the marked runs, always go with a buddy.

December 8th, 2005, 10:29 pm #3

Like when my buddy Mark fell into this tree-hole.... Good thing I was there to pull him out or he may have had a tough time. Its almost impossible to get yourself out of a tree well when strapped to a snowboard.

mw
mw

December 9th, 2005, 5:55 pm #4

I know most serious borders don't like the performance of them, but I use the K2 Clickers on my board and all you have to do is pull on the leash and they release the boot (if you don't lock them). I am surprised that the industry has not found a way to make a binding system that performs as well as the "strap in" system. They have had over 20yrs now. I mostly ski and only board when the snow is wet, heavy and deep, the board floats on top much better then skies. So I don't mind the Clickers performance, and I can always release while upside down.

December 9th, 2005, 7:06 pm #5

A couple years ago I purchased my first step-in binding. Its the CP3/Device system that uses a toe-hook and heel click w/high back. This binding setup feels virtually the same as the strap system, but it never had the support of the industry. I believe it is no longer manufactured, but unused bindings can be picked up for practially nothing. I bought a setup for my wife when I bought my first one, then this summer I bought 2 more bindings for my other boards @ $9.99 each (no more need to swap bindings around). I've been keeping an eye out for boots so I can have an extra set if needed, but so far this cp3 boot/binding setup works great for me!